Euro mounts

I don't know what color it is. I mixed it to stain my reloading bench when I built it and stored it in a quart mason jar. The can has long since been thrown away. I tested it on a small spot on the back of the antlers and liked the way it looked, so I rolled with it. To me, the antlers are too shiny. I may take some fine steel wool and see about knocking the shine off of them just a bit.

I don't know what color it is. I mixed it to stain my reloading bench when I built it and stored it in a quart mason jar. The can has long since been thrown away. I tested it on a small spot on the back of the antlers and liked the way it looked, so I rolled with it. To me, the antlers are too shiny. I may take some fine steel wool and see about knocking the shine off of them just a bit.
Yes or a scotch brite pad would work as well.

I just did a euro mount on one that I killed last fall with one of the "fake skulls" from a taxidermy supply shop.
A taxidermist had told me that's what he preferred to use. Maybe it's the lazy way out, but it didn't turn out too bad and I didn't have the usual mess. I think it only cost me about $50.

Good job on the Euro mounts. Most of the deer that I shoot are medium size or oddball racks, so I do Euro mounts on them. That second deer looks like one that I would shoot.

What is yalls preferred product for bleaching?
I use 35% food grade peroxide. My process takes from a couple days to a week on most animals. I have never tried the stuff from the beauty supply store. For the quantities of skulls that I do each year I don't think it would be very cost effective. For the average joe doing his own skull, I think that's the only way to go!

I use 35% food grade peroxide. My process takes from a couple days to a week on most animals. I have never tried the stuff from the beauty supply store. For the quantities of skulls that I do each year I don't think it would be very cost effective. For the average joe doing his own skull, I think that's the only way to go!

I'll have to give that a try. I usually use the beauty cream but I haven't been able to get a skull to what I consider 100 percent white. They look good not complaining, just wondering if I can do better. I also used a dremel wire brush this year on one and that seemed to really work well to clean up a few imperfections.

Here is the one I did this year. The discoloration on the forehead is basically what I am talking about when I say I haven't gotten one 100%.

Attachments

• PXL_20201208_194647702.jpg
    PXL_20201208_194647702.jpg
    856.4 KB · Views: 145
I just simmer 'em. Takes time but it works. I knock a hole through the ear into the brain cavity so all gray-matter gets circulated out. Gotta be careful with the bleach/peroxide, it will weaken some of the fibers that hold the skull together.

Yes I've used that before what shade was the color you used. And I'd say if you want them lighter or darker just adjust the ratio of stain to mineral spirits. Thanks

Min Wax in their Provincial will match the usual natural staining on antlers without any extra mixing , and they make a marker in that color for smaller touchups.
Once the stain is dry, some Mop n Glow on the antlers makes them pop.