Ethics question

baldeagle713

Part 1.Is it ethical to shoot a wild animal if it is up against a high fence and can't get aroud it?
Part 2. Is it ethical to drive sead animal into sead fence then shoot it?
Part 3. IF the above is done is that sport or just plain slaughter?
A Courious mind wants to know.

It appears that you have something in mind. You didn't say what catagory of wild animal, legal big game, predator control, etc. The motivation might be slaughter for the table, or it may be misguided sport, and it may be a difference of opinion, or you don't really understand what is going on.

For example. The moral code of only shooting what you intend to eat is a personal decision. I hardly eat any wild game, myself, but that doesn't keep me from harvesting the meat and the trophy, and donating what I don't want.

I think there is room for more than one code of ethics, and I wouldn't want someone else to dictate terms to me, as long as it's legal.

This is where the Anti's hope to divide and conquer, and they have some success in pitting bow hunters against rifle hunters, hound hunters against bear baiters, ducks on a pond, tearing up hogs with a pack of curs, and so forth and so on. Some people don't understand the sport in potting a treed lion.

I'd suggest that we resist fractionalizing our sport into different camps. Again, I can't guess what your questions are leading at, but it sounds like you have a strong opinion, as well as a curious mind.

Good hunting. LB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>This is where the Anti's hope to divide and conquer, and they have some success in pitting bow hunters against rifle hunters, hound hunters against bear baiters, ducks on a pond, tearing up hogs with a pack of curs, and so forth and so on. Some people don't understand the sport in potting a treed lion.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm NOT an ANTI. I love to hunt. I'm part Native American, so you could say it is in my blood. I'm on a road to wisdom and just asking directions is all.

I just now read this thread. Hate to throw a wet blanket on the topic but the rules of LRH.com are to not discuss ethics. It's not that they aren't important nor that we aren't all ethical. It's just that when I formed this site I found that there were many forums where ethics are discussed (usually with rancor) and none where Long Range Hunting was discussed productively and without controversy.

So no ethics discussions here, please.

Topic closed.

LB,
Thank you for a great response to those questions - wish I could make such a solid statement when I need one. The questions are ones that all hunters must make some personal decisions about - but they are also a mine-field that seem to inflame some guys. You also got a positive response from the originator of the questions so - let's move on.

I believe that Len's positiion is based on his desire to keep this site on track - Long Range Hunting is Long Range Hunting.

Ian, thanks for the compliment.

I have been on the boards for quite a few years, and see just about every question, legit and otherwise, and some seem to be guaranteed to force people to choose sides, which is always counterproductive, since we are few, against many.

The topic is closed, as far as I'm concerned, I wrote to Len and apologized for responding (at all) rather than ignoring the issue. I assumed the closure of the topic was permanent, since the subject of this entire Board is LONG RANGE HUNTING, and that, in itself is a subject that some people would call into question. Unfairly, to be sure, since there are many degrees of competence, and specialized equipment involved. That cannot be stressed enough for the average reader, out there.

Bottom line, I can certainly see where all moral judgements are best avoided. I guess trapping forums face similiar problems, bomb throwers shouting animal cruelty, etceteras? It's too bad it has come to this, since freedom of speech is a sharp, two edged sword. End of subject. LB
smile.gif

[ 09-09-2004: Message edited by: LB ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.