Estimated Velocity for 168 gr. VLD

ovhunter

I'm preparing a 7mm Rem Mag load of 65.9 grains of RL22 behind a 168 gr. Berger VLD Hunting bullet, seated .02 off the rifling. Norma brass. Federal magnum primers. Twenty Six inch Hart barrel.
I have no chrony, and I'm guessing 3050 muzzle velocity for this load.
What's your informed guess as to the muzzle velocity?

There is absolutely no possible way to give you an accurate enough velocity for you to use for a dope chart. Save yourself the headache and all the money you're going to spend on components trying to figure out how to match your "estimated velocity" to your dope chart by figuring out your own drops, and use that money towards buying a good chrono, like a Doppler or MagnetoSpeed. I have had my MSv2 for years, and it's well worth the money.

There is absolutely no possible way to give you an accurate enough velocity for you to use for a dope chart. Save yourself the headache and all the money you're going to spend on components trying to figure out how to match your "estimated velocity" to your dope chart by figuring out your own drops, and use that money towards buying a good chrono, like a Doppler or MagnetoSpeed. I have had my MSv2 for years, and it's well worth the money.
Probably very good advice. Thanks.

Probably very good advice. Thanks.
Trust me, once you start working loads with a chrono and really learn how to use it, and what to look for while using it, you will realize just how invaluable of a tool it really is. A good chrono is worth its weight in gold. I highly recommend the MagnetoSpeed.

They are also great for finding your best performing velocity range. You may get great 100-200 yard groups at that charge, ans be averaging 3050 fps, but with a 90 fps velocity extreme spread that makes it practically useless for anything mich past 500ish yards. Where if you back it down to 2975-3000, you may get an e.s. of 15 fps. Or you may change primers and find your e.s. drops significantly.

Just threw some random numbers up there to make a point that a chrono is a load developement tool, not anything to take to the bank.

They are also great for finding your best performing velocity range. You may get great 100-200 yard groups at that charge, ans be averaging 3050 fps, but with a 90 fps velocity extreme spread that makes it practically useless for anything mich past 500ish yards. Where if you back it down to 2975-3000, you may get an e.s. of 15 fps. Or you may change primers and find your e.s. drops significantly.

Just threw some random numbers up there to make a point that a chrono is a load developement tool, not anything to take to the bank.
Thanks to both of you. Sound advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts