Erik Cortina

I buy cheap little round count books for every rifle/ barrel and suppressor, and have a maintenance log for each type (rifle/shotgun/pistol/AR) . I can't keep track of everything otherwise. Might seem silly to some, but I know the exact round count of every barrel I own that was new when I got it.

I do that with my more precision/custom/hunting rifles, but not my factory hunting rifles as I don't shoot much with them, I know I should but time sometimes isn't on my side ….I don't keep that detailed of a book but on occasion I do know somewhat how many rounds are in a couple rifles.

Thanks

9DD2F071-15A5-477C-996F-56891FB487FE.jpeg

I have high hopes for it. I have an ATS tuner to put behind suppressors, but this is the first time I've done a brake/tuner. Not sure what a brake will do on a 12# 6.5CM other than annoy people though.

I buy cheap little round count books for every rifle/ barrel and suppressor, and have a maintenance log for each type (rifle/shotgun/pistol/AR) . I can't keep track of everything otherwise. Might seem silly to some, but I know the exact round count of every barrel I own that was new when I got it.

Round count books are a nifty idea. Every one of my rifles, has it's own 1" binder, for everything! Here's just 3 I was working with yesterday, at the for load development and sight-in, for the upcoming elk hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 52
So what are you getting at? Are you suggesting Erik Cortina is full of it? Because he is selling (hawking) his tuner-brakes. How about all the video interviews he has provided with leaders of the F Class community? Shooters, gunsmiths, and machinists of the industry. Many a time he has said, " do what you want, but this is what works for me". A man just sharing his knowledge. I don't have a problem with the commercial/profit aspects of his posts. Hey, we live in a society where you have a choice to pay or pass. I just don't understand why you posted the negativity.

Cortina is an alright guy, when I first got my machines he offered to show me how he chambers barrels. I can watch him do it and explains things for a nominal fee - 500 big ones. Of course, I politely declined...

Maybe I missed out on the finer points of chambering barrels for not taking his offer... or maybe not. I will never know.

So what are you getting at? Are you suggesting Erik Cortina is full of it? Because he is selling (hawking) his tuner-brakes. How about all the video interviews he has provided with leaders of the F Class community? Shooters, gunsmiths, and machinists of the industry. Many a time he has said, " do what you want, but this is what works for me". A man just sharing his knowledge. I don't have a problem with the commercial/profit aspects of his posts. Hey, we live in a society where you have a choice to pay or pass. I just don't understand why you posted the negativity.
You should realize that everyone, or at least a lot of people always have that one person, for whatever reason, that you just cannot stand and irritate you to no end. Can't even listen to them. I'm assuming this is one of those situations. Nothing against either person on my part, I've watched Eric's barndomium videos before even knowing he was a reloader or big time shooter.

I've never annealed my brass. I did get propane torch this year so I'll be annealing some brass soon.
One video Eric Cortina made was about annealing.He used a better annealing machine than just a torch and drill but the principle was the same.
He over annealed his brass to make a point and his over annealed brass accepted a bullet with the same pressure as his other annealed cases so I feel a torch properly used will do a better anneal than never annealing.
I learned that from Eric Cortina

One video Eric Cortina made was about annealing.He used a better annealing machine than just a torch and drill but the principle was the same.
He over annealed his brass to make a point and his over annealed brass accepted a bullet with the same pressure as his other annealed cases so I feel a torch properly used will do a better anneal than never annealing.
I remember this vid.

I've watched all of his videos and there hasn't been a single suggestion that I've tried that hasn't improved my process and accuracy. I find it entertaining to listen to people criticise him. Noone can simply disagree they are compelled to attack and insult him personally.

It's almost religious...... they just can't allow someone else to have a belief different than their own.

Cortina is an alright guy, when I first got my machines he offered to show me how he chambers barrels. I can watch him do it and explains things for a nominal fee - 500 big ones. Of course, I politely declined...

Maybe I missed out on the finer points of chambering barrels for not taking his offer... or maybe not. I will never know.
Nez,
Does Eric ever shoot the M14?
Just wondering how he handles it as compared to precision bolt he typically shoots.

Yeah I saw that video and after he heated brass well past what I would have I decided rather than investing money and time into a DIY annealer I could just use the socket and variable drill method for now. Or just hold them and drop into a pan method lol. I was even looking into the salt bath method or induction heating. My main concern was ruining the brass. After watching the video I'll probably be more at risk of under annealing than over annealing.

Last edited:
According to metallurgist Reese on the Range, his testing states you basically cannot over anneal brass unless you're melting the brass. I think Cortina commented on one of his vid's in agreement where Reese analyzed Cortina's vid that you reference. I've been communicating with a guy who has access to a Vickers hardness tester. He states the brass he's been testing has to be heated to 1000 - 1200 degrees to be properly annealed. He's using an induction annealer. Interesting stuff on what's starting to come out these days...

Recent Posts