Equipment And Planning For Backpack Hunting by Allen Jones

ADMIN

Administrator
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Equipment And Planning For Backpack Hunting by Allen Jones. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
equipment.....

BMS....i personally prefer goose down bags because of the weight issue. i had a 2lb bag for early season hunting and a 3lb bag for later colder weather.....my tent was a one man design similar to a eureka, but made by a company in boulder colo that is out of business now...mountain king i think was the name . it was very lightwieght(3lbs) and big enough to squeeze two guys in (if you were the real friendly sort). my pack was a cabela's alaskan, freighter frame, external design. unfortunately, i lost all this equipment in a fire in 2005 and have not replaced it all yet. Cabelas has always been my main source for most of my equipment. I have always gotten great service from them with never a problem on returns or quality. AJ

Grate Article!!!

I have went on two backpack hunting trips, here in Nor. CA for blacktails. But didn't get any thing, and still had a good time anyway. The main struggle we had was our physical conditioning and lack of experience hunting in the back country. On the rifle hunt we found we needed to get higher and shoot long range. The bow hunt there was a smoky fire near by, but it wouldn't of mated after 15mls we were spent. I was beginning to think we couldn't do it on our own. So I did some more researching for help. All I could fined was Cameron Hanes, David Long, and a Aylmer I think. These guys are extreme.
In the past I've read some mag articles or normal guys like your self doing it. So we are going to keep trying. We plan on bow hunting this August. So my questions are: What do you do to prepare your body? And how much scouting do you need to do?

Thanks for the advice

JOE

well for starters....

...I would start out small. dont plan a fifteen mile packtrip until you are up for it. research a place where you only have to travel a couple miles. believe it or not, here in colo , once you get away from the roads a mile or so, the hunting improves dramatically. the majority of hunters here are the road warriors that will not shoot anything they cant drive to with a truck or ATV. Just drop over that first ridge into the next drainage and start glassing.

as far as conditioning goes, i like to stay in pretty good shape through the winter by doing a lot of walking.....keep those knees and legs limbered up and working, then start a regiment of longer walks with a small pack through the summer and build up to 35 to 45lbs before fall....summer is a good time to work on both your conditioning and scouting.....find some of those out of the way spots and go check them out.....good luck...AJ

quite funny reading this article since here in nz most of our hunting is 'backpack hunting' hadnt ever considered it to be a special thing or have a name to it. do you get msr stoves over there. they are the way to go in lightweight stoves.simmerlite is my favorite one

never used one...

do you have a link? It does seem that everything here in the US is is based on "ease of operation"...most advertisers promote their products that way to the nth degree.....as in "so easy a caveman could do it"...hunting has gotten to the point that its not a sport...its a competition to see who can do it the easiest, get the biggest, take their ATV the farthest. unfortunately, some right here on this forum are using the long range aspect of this in an attemt to make hunting easier....thinking they can substitute long range accuracy for hard work, scouting, game study, and hunting ability. when you get back to basics and start carrying everything you need on your back, and staying right with the game you hunt it puts a little different perspective back in the game.
i would love to see your part of the world sometime, and maybe do a little hunting. chamois would be a fun hunt.....and not very much meat for these old knees to pack out! g'day mate....AJ

Good article sir--well done! I'm also a backpack hunter here in Pueblo, CO. We've been archery/gun hunting elk and deer in the mtns. since '77. The single biggest improvement for backpack hunting IMO has got to be the sip tube. Mine is always attached to my 2 liter dromedary bag, and slips along the side of my pack. This way u're always hydrated, and u don't have to pull your pack off to get water anymore. That's the main thing i wouldn't be without anymore.

I disagree with parts of the article. If you want to learn the best items to use, look to the backpacking community. Down is hands down, much better than synthetics. It compacts to less than one third the size of synthetics, is warmer and with taffeta coatings, is virtually waterproof (not to mention, if you have a decent tent you are not getting it wet anyways). The extra space translates into room for other things, like emergency kits, food etc., extending the amount of time you can stay packed in. Likewise I would take an internal frame pack any day over an external. Internal frames routinely handle loads over 100 lbs and are much more comfortable and stable because they reside closer to your back. I have packed elk quarters and rib meet without issue and found the heavy loads much more comfortable.

I came to these conclusions fifteen years ago when I had a synthetic bag and external frame pack. A friend of mine had been a backpacker and he introduced me to synthetic underwear, down sleeping bags, Mountain Hardware tents and Osprey internal frame packs. You couldn't pay me enough to go back...

I disagree with parts of the article. If you want to learn the best items to use, look to the backpacking community. Down is hands down, much better than synthetics. It compacts to less than one third the size of synthetics, is warmer and with taffeta coatings, is virtually waterproof (not to mention, if you have a decent tent you are not getting it wet anyways). The extra space translates into room for other things, like emergency kits, food etc., extending the amount of time you can stay packed in. Likewise I would take an internal frame pack any day over an external. Internal frames routinely handle loads over 100 lbs and are much more comfortable and stable because they reside closer to your back. I have packed elk quarters and rib meet without issue and found the heavy loads much more comfortable.

I came to these conclusions fifteen years ago when I had a synthetic bag and external frame pack. A friend of mine had been a backpacker and he introduced me to synthetic underwear, down sleeping bags, Mountain Hardware tents and Osprey internal frame packs. You couldn't pay me enough to go back...

This is an old thread, I realize. I agree to look to the backpacking community for equipment choices etc. I started out hunting with a Gregory Robson Pro. I have worn external frame packs and IMO they are downright dangerous with heavy loads off trail. The weight is too far from your body and when a heavy load shifts it can cause a catastrophic fall.

The article mentions wool which is very important. There is an old saying in the high country, "cotton kills". Make sure your clothing is wool. There maybe some new fabrics now that insulate when wet. Those would work as well, if they exist.

I prefer down bags also. It is lighter and compacts smaller then synthetics. Keep in mind, down is useless when wet. Your tent MUST HAVE a FULL rain fly. These dome tents with a beannie cap rain fly won't cut it in the western mountains. If using a tent, do yourself a favor and get a legitimate 4-season backpacking tent. I rarely use a tent anymore, though. My old bones feel 100% better in the morning after a night in a Hennessy Hammock. Keep in mind that where the pressure points are, like your hip and shoulder, for instance, you are compressing the down and it will get very cold there. So, get the insulated hammock or do like I did and sew an extra piece of silnylon to the bottom of the hammock and fill with down that won't get compressed.

Lastly, whatever feels decent on your back when you throw your pack on at the vehicle will feel like 1000 lbs 5 miles from the trailhead. Pack light. Pay attention to the weight of every piece of equipment you choose. Of course, the lighter the backpacking piece of equipment is the more expensive. Weight savings costs money but believe me, it is worth it. Only take what is necessary for a safe trip. Food will likely be the most weight of all your items. You will be burning a lot of calories, so pay attention to the food you pack and take food with a high calorie content.

Those are some important things from my experience. Thanks to the author for writing the article.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.