Environmental Hazards By Darrell Holland

ADMIN

Administrator
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Environmental Hazards By Darrell Holland. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Environmental Hazards By Darrell Holland

A great article. You can tell that Darrell is a very good teacher. It's should be required reading for anyone thinking of long range hunting.

That along with:
Long Range Hunting on a Budget by Jerry Teo
Low Priced Long Range Scopes by Ian McMurchy
Setting Up Your Long Range Scope by Jerry Teo
Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting by Jerry Teo
Reading the Wind by Shawn Carlock
Setting Up For The Long Range Hunting Shot by Shawn Carlock
Advantages Of Using The Long Range Spotter by Shawn Carlock
Reticle Perpendicularity by Darrell Holland
Angle Shooting - Correcting For The Effects Of Gravity by Ward W. Brien
Following Up After The Shot by Shawn Carlock
Nightforce Ballistic Targeting Software by Ward W. Brien
Dwell Time And Your Trigger by Darrell Holland

While this may seem like a lot of reading, given the seriousness of the endeavor, it really isn't and remember that the information here is FREE. There are some places that charge $1500+ for this kind on knowledge. Not that $1500 it isn't worth it... but, again, it's FREE here.

Paul

Paul, that was nice of you to put together the list. I agree, we have some very generous and knowledgeable writers on this site.

one of the best articles i have read.It amazes me that companys sell a rifle all set up and encourage such long range shooting with there products straight out of the box.

Most excellent article and long overdue I feel.

One aspect that needs greater emphasis is wind estimation. As an NRA shooter I well know the vagaries of wind and in the real world without flags, you're in WAG (wild a-- guess) territory. How many guys can confidently distinguish a 5mph from a 10mph wind, let alone have any concept of the angle and relative importance of close versus distant wind?

Your suggestion of the 12" squares is great. Humbling for sure.

Chris, New Zealand

Last edited:
Darrell

+2 on this article.

I particularily like you emphasizing the importance of the powder selection and use of accurate chrono data for your range card/data.

Too often here we have seen the advocated use of temp sensitive powders and even highly sensitive surplus powders for inexperienced shooters and reloaders.

This article needs to be the first "go to" article for any new LR shooter and even more experienced.

thanks

BH

Great article. I love to shoot far, and I love to hunt close. The more I shoot the less chance that I will make poor decisions in the field. I like to make the long range hunting shot, but I don't know if I will ever get over the en-grained upbringing, to always "get as close as you can", before you shoot.

I personally will not consider a shot much over 600 yrds, unless the conditions are perfect. No wind. Calm unaware animal.

Thanks Darrell,

Steve

Great article. Thanks Darrell!

I already realize I'll be pushing my personal envelope just moving out beyond MPBR this year. But this article has increased my resolve to get some serious range time in under different conditions. My goal is to reliably range and shoot out to 600 yards, with a limit of confining shots to kill on game animals to under 450.

Jon

A very good read.

The 17* part shouldn't be cold enough to cause adverse body control issues. Much colder than that with some wind will begin to make a big difference.

I especially appreciate the author's recommendation to get out in the foul weather and do some practice.

Where and when I hunt weather can change from nice and sunny, to rain, to heavy wet snow and to dry and windy snow. You'll learn alot from foul weather practice as far as personal comfortably , shivering etc, is concerned.

Also you'll lean alot about protection of your equipment. Darrel mentioned fogging of LRF, typical occurrence. When the weather is right or wrong, if you will, generally means loss of optical equipment, scope, spotter, LRf when they fog from breath. This goes for glasses also, to which I can attest.

Then there's the issue of moisture in the action/trigger. I recall being set up for yotes with a rain/snow situation and temps just below freezing. I was prone on my little knob. 4 yotes came from nowhere. All of a sudded they were just there. The farthest was @ 495 the closest was about 200.

I was shooting a 270 Win on a mauser action w/timney trigger. I lined up on a the yote at 350. Broke the trigger.....nothin...... no click no nothin. Opened and closed the bolt. Did the trigger thing again. Again no results..........

I think I went into panic mode...... Repeatidly opening and closing the bolt and by now just pulling on the trigger. Next operation was to breath on the rear of the bolt to attempt to increase temp and unfreeze the trigger. Had to repeat this several times.

By then no yotes were in view. ****........ All of a sudden I spy one at about 70 yards! Oh well, here goes again. Mean while my buddy, doing the rabbit squak all along, to which none of the yotes were giving any attention, was wondering what all the movement was on my side of the sage brush.

I line up on the 70 yarder and I'll be dog gone if ol' Betsy didn't go bang.

I that situation would have been a trophy buck or any kind of elk I'd be still feeling miserable with the memory.

I have since developed a combination scope/action cover that so far has preclued that situation.

Darrell points out some very important points.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.