Entry Level Wind Meter

zach_destroys

So I've been practicing reading wind based off mirage, foliage, ect. But as I extend the range I feel comfortable shooting at I feel that I need a wind meter to be accurate, especially when hunting. I'm not looking for a high end kestrel, just something that gives me accurate readings so I can reference my dope chart. What should I look at?

Kestrel and others make a wide variety of meters. It can definitely be a rabbit hole when you look at features. They start at about $150.00 and for for a little more, you can get some nice features, but for a little more than that, you can get something really helpful, and a little more...…. and now your buying the Kestrel Elite with bluetooth and Applied Ballistics. LOL If that's really all you want, figure out exactly what features you want/need and stick to it. If your really getting into the long range shooting/hunting, buy once, cry once. I started with a 3500 ($199.00 today) and it served me well for a number of years. Their most basic windmeter is the 1000 for $74.00.

Meters read wind where you are, not where the bullet is going. Just use the mk1 wet fingertip and mirage/environmental observation.

If you still insist, then literally ANY wind meter is sufficient and I'll sell you my nearly unused 6 year old Kestrel 2500 for a SONG (60% of retail shipped). It's the lowest end genuine Kestrel that does barometric pressure which can actually be really helpful. If you want new, the Caldwell Pro unit does a great job, is feature packed and is really inexpensive.

Honestly, you've been doing it right, learning the observational route. Bringing in gadgets is, IMHO, going backwards which is why I stopped using mine almost as soon as it arrived. I think I pulled it out 3 times before stopping bringing it to matches. Few things amuse me more than watching pro shooters spinning kestrels on ropes at every single stage and never realizing that the only condition that's changing is the air temperature.

One thing they do well is help identify the effects of different wind speeds. Even if it's only at your location. What effects you observe can be applied to downrange visuals and help you make more accurate wind calls in the field at various points along your bullet path

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.