Entry level Thermal Scope ?

The zoom resolution is true to all thermals, because it is digital zoom (like your cell phone), not optical zoom (like your rifle scope) . So all that they do when you zoom in is blow up the original image, which gets grainy.

So resolution and microns are the more important specs of a thermal to look at. Lower microns are better (I think), higher resolution is better. The XP50 has double the resolution of my XQ38, so the XP50 zoomed in to 4x will have the same picture clarity as my XQ38 on 2x base. But with that said, my XQ38 is good enough for me to be able to identify hogs vs deer at 600 yards or so. The XP50 makes it easier, but I dont want to pay that much more for it. I dont know how they compare to something like the XM30, but I would want to talk to someone who has experience with them all before buying one. A friend has the XM50, which is more expensive than my XQ38, but my XQ38 has a better picture. I've seen some thermals that were high end several years ago, and everything just looks like a blob unless you are inside of 100 yards. You'd hate to spend $2200 on a scope and be disappointed with it, when you could have spent $1000 more for something you'd be really happy with.
Thats interesting. it looks like the less expensive XQ38 has a slightly higher resolution but larger pixels (384x 288 17um pixels) than the more expensive XM50 at 320x240 and 12 um pixels. I guess the smaller pixels did not make up for the loss of resolution.

You'd hate to spend $2200 on a scope and be disappointed with it, when you could have spent $1000 more for something you'd be really happy with.
That's true but my use of a thermal will be very limited and I "originally" thought I could get into an entry level unit for much less. Going to $2,000 is a stretch for the amount of use I'll probably get out of it.

If I lived in Texas and hunted pigs all the time (or other varmints) I'd forgo my next custom rifle build and just go in all the way.
I've got some time before I make a purchase so I'll continue to rely on the feedback from you guys that have been there & done that.
Thanks for the info everyone.

That's true but my use of a thermal will be very limited and I "originally" thought I could get into an entry level unit for much less. Going to $2,000 is a stretch for the amount of use I'll probably get out of it.

If I lived in Texas and hunted pigs all the time (or other varmints) I'd forgo my next custom rifle build and just go in all the way.
I've got some time before I make a purchase so I'll continue to rely on the feedback from you guys that have been there & done that.
Thanks for the info everyone.
You might be able to get a good unit for under $2000, I just don't know a whole lot about them except for the $3-5k ones I've experienced. But I'd be careful because in the 2k range there might be some that are good and some that are junk

If you felt you could trust them, ATN has some good open box/refurbished ones at a really good price. The ATN ThOR 4 640 prices are incredible for what you get. 640x480 with 60hz refresh.

Last edited:
It's going to take a heck of an eye to see the difference between 17-13 microns. Smaller microns with tighter zoom 3.5 will have its benefits in clarity (particularly on the edges - the blob comment you made). But I agree a 3.5x zoom "can" be tight if you are hunting up close and personal.

I am currently using a 6x native zoom. Love it for its absolute clarity even digitally at 12x but it's a pain when a hogs running at me from 120 yards to 30 yards as in my last video.

if you've never played with a thermal 3.5x zoom won't mean anything you'll learn quickly. But if you plan on stalking up to 50-75 yards that 3.5x native zoom is going to be wide.

A bonus of the XM30 is the larger screen display which should enhance the visual experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.