Entry Level Thermal Clip-On

ObiWanKannoli

Looking for a recommendation on an entry level thermal clip on, any thoughts? Willing to spend ~$3k, would love to spend $1k!

Host, will go on an lpvo ideally:

20220805_191200~2.jpg

These are some I am considering:

This perhaps when more info is available:

Last edited:
I think 3 grand will be tough, if you could go to a dedicated scope bering optics may have something in your budget

I have AGM TC35-384 - $2,830. Sometimes you can find it cheaper on sale. I think its an awesome clip on but I have never looked through a 640 resolution thermal. They make a cheaper one with lower resolution and slower refresh rate- AGM TC19-256 for $1,150. I can't vouch for it. I don't think I could go back to it after using the TC35-384. The TC35-384 comes with a quick release mount so it can be mounted to the rail in front of the scope. It also comes with an adapter to connect to directly to the scope. If you go that route, you would need to exchange the adapter that it comes with for a smaller adapter. They will exchange for free. Also, AGM has awesome customer support.

I have AGM TC35-384 - $2,830. Sometimes you can find it cheaper on sale. I think its an awesome clip on but I have never looked through a 640 resolution thermal. They make a cheaper one with lower resolution and slower refresh rate- AGM TC19-256 for $1,150. I can't vouch for it. I don't think I could go back to it after using the TC35-384. The TC35-384 comes with a quick release mount so it can be mounted to the rail in front of the scope. It also comes with an adapter to connect to directly to the scope. If you go that route, you would need to exchange the adapter that it comes with for a smaller adapter. They will exchange for free. Also, AGM has awesome customer support.
Thank you for the feedback, do you have any experience with that AGM model vs the Pulsar I listed above? I was kicking around the idea of the TC19-256, resolution seems good enough for the 100 yard and in use case I have but I have a funny feeling it's going to leave me wanting..

Thank you for the feedback, do you have any experience with that AGM model vs the Pulsar I listed above? I was kicking around the idea of the TC19-256, resolution seems good enough for the 100 yard and in use case I have but I have a funny feeling it's going to leave me wanting..
I have no experience with the pulsar. The TC19-256 is probably good enough resolution for that range. The refresh rate might annoy you more but would still work. The TC19-256 has 25hz refresh rate which is half of the TC35-384.

I was looking at the pulsar. One thing to consider is how it mounts to your scope. The scope in the picture looks like its a 24mm objective which is probably around 32 or 33 mm outside diameter? They measure by outside diameter. They only have 42, 50, and 56 adapters listed. Each of those can handle a range. I don't know that the 42 would be small enough for your scope. You would need to measure the outside diameter of your scope. You might be able to buy an aftermarket adapter or they may have one that they don't mention.

This company makes the adapters for AGM. They might make the adapters for pulsar as well. It looks similar but not sure.
https://z-aim.com/produktfiler/rusanq-rclampingadapterfornvclip-onsightsv7.18.pdf

They also mention the adapter is not included in the users manual but don't mention that in the quick start guide.

I would definitely research that before pulling the trigger on the pulsar. I am not saying don't go with it or that its not that great of a deal. Just saying that you should find out what is needed to mount it to your scope before you buy so there are no surprises. The nice thing about the AGM is that it comes with the quick release mount fo the rail in front of your scope in addition to the adapter for your scope.

Last edited:
I was looking at the pulsar. One thing to consider is how it mounts to your scope. The scope in the picture looks like its a 24mm objective which is probably around 32 or 33 mm outside diameter? They measure by outside diameter. They only have 42, 50, and 56 adapters listed. Each of those can handle a range. I don't know that the 42 would be small enough for your scope. You would need to measure the outside diameter of your scope. You might be able to buy an aftermarket adapter or they may have one that they don't mention.

This company makes the adapters for AGM. They might make the adapters for pulsar as well. It looks similar but not sure.
https://z-aim.com/produktfiler/rusanq-rclampingadapterfornvclip-onsightsv7.18.pdf

They also mention the adapter is not included in the users manual but don't mention that in the quick start guide.

I would definitely research that before pulling the trigger on the pulsar. I am not saying don't go with it or that its not that great of a deal. Just saying that you should find out what is needed to mount it to your scope before you buy so there are no surprises. The nice thing about the AGM is that it comes with the quick release mount fo the rail in front of your scope in addition to the adapter for your scope.
Yeah so Pulsar does have an adapter for all different size optics available for purchase separately, here's it mounted on a 24mm LPVO:

Pulsar-Proton-FXG30-Thermal-TFB-2022-7.jpg

Pulsar-Proton-FXG30-Thermal-TFB-2022-5.jpg

Not sure if the rail or optic mounted is "better" or if it even matters, but it is doable. All that aside, I guess it's a matter of which is a better fit for me. And that, I have no clue!

I don't know that one is a better fit than the other. It comes down to personal preference. I think the pulsar is more compact and lighter. Looks like it has more color palettes. You just have to sit down and compare all the bells and whistles. Which one looks easier to use on things like the menu and setup. I like the fact that AGM uses cr123 batteries, both rechargeable and non rechargeable and not a proprietary battery like the pulsar (at least its not built in) and with the AGM you can use a $40 battery pack as well for extended use. I got my AGM on sale for $2500. If I got the puslar, I would buy the unit, an adapter, an extra battery, and a battery charger and it would be about $1000 more. I had a hard enough time justifying the $2500. Pulsar has been around longer than AGM and has a really good reputation. AGM has not been around as long but has a good reputation for its products and its customer support. AGM's clip on has been out longer and has more reviews by actual users. Flip a coin.

I've been looking at the pulsar as well, but the krypton. The new model is so new I can't get my hands on one to fiddle with. I've been looking at the leupold clip too. At any rate I have a xp50 pulsar now that is amazing for the 4K price tag. What I can find from reviews on the pulsar it holds its own against the others but it's a competitive market so each seems to have a pro and con. Have you found any pulsars in stock to fiddle with?

I have the 35 rattler. It is awesome. I have hunted with iRay, Pulsar, ATN, and a few others. Bang for Buck, the rattler is awesome. Great features. The thing that really sold me was the batteries. You can just throw in some CR123 if you need to. So, if you get asked to go hunting or your forget to charge it, its not a deal breaker.

If it were me, I would make the same decision all over again. AGM Rattler TS35 i think? its everything you want, small, perfect for AR's and amazing clarity. I think it was like $2500ish. I would get the AGM or the Pulsar, but AGM for the win for price point, image quality, and value. Built in ADM mount, light weight, just a killer deal.

How is AGM's customer service/warranty?
I see the website shows 3 years limited. Any first hand experiences.

How is AGM's customer service/warranty?
I see the website shows 3 years limited. Any first hand experiences.
I have dealt with their customer service. You get to speak to a human being and they are very responsive. If you look in the hog hunting forum, you will see my experience with them.

I have the 35 rattler. It is awesome. I have hunted with iRay, Pulsar, ATN, and a few others. Bang for Buck, the rattler is awesome. Great features. The thing that really sold me was the batteries. You can just throw in some CR123 if you need to. So, if you get asked to go hunting or your forget to charge it, its not a deal breaker.

If it were me, I would make the same decision all over again. AGM Rattler TS35 i think? its everything you want, small, perfect for AR's and amazing clarity. I think it was like $2500ish. I would get the AGM or the Pulsar, but AGM for the win for price point, image quality, and value. Built in ADM mount, light weight, just a killer deal.
I love the battery setup. No proprietary batteries like pulsar and no built in batteries like ATN. If your batteries die, you can run down to walmart and get some more.