Entering data into exbal vs other Ballistic programs

arrow

I have read the whole Altitube vs Barometric pressure thread and think i have it all figured out now. For most ballistic programs enter the station pressure and 0 for the altitude. I have read alot on this topic and I now understand it. I use a kestral 4500. So set referance at 0 on the baro screen and that is my station pressure. But from reading this thread, Eaglet wrote out a very informative description on how to enter data into exbal and in this he is saying to enter altitude as well as station pressure. I understand exbal is doing this for their sight in vs actual hunting location, but why would this now mess stuff up like it does on other programs. (By adding altitude and station pressure) Can someone explain to me why exbal does this and how they do it so the altitude doesn't affect the station pressure?

Response #32 at the mega-thread referenced:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/altitude-vs-barometric-pressure-11950/index5.html

Eaglet quoted the EXBAL-for-Dummies doc included with the program, and he is right that it was Perry System's intent for you to use altitude. It's a very old school program written before hunters could field access actual pressure information.
But newer versions allowed for use of station pressure, -with altitude always left at zero.

I suspect this is desirable for you.

So exbal is outdated? Should I get something newer and updated that goes along with the rest of the programs? If so what would be recomended? Thanks

I wouldn't say it's outdated, ballistics hasn't changed. Just a bit behind in features offered elsewhere lately.
Important though is what works for YOU -logistically.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.