Enough power?

demo9pro

Hi,

Im about to purchase a Kahles 4-12x52 Helia CL with multi zero.

I want to be varminting rabbits out to 300-400 metres and goats at max of 500 metres.

Will 12x power be enough for this?

This seems to be the highest magnification Kahles are making.

(scope will be used on a 300wsm)

Thanks for your help

12 power would be ample for those ranges. I use a 9 power on my .222 for rabbits and that works fine out to 400 yards. Good scope choice to, Kahles are very good optics.

You should be fine. Im using a 3.5-10 Mk 4 for crow and coyote. I can still see crow around the reticle at 300 yards easy. Depending on how thick your reticle is bunnys at 400 may be more difficult but do able, goat at 500 and beyond will not be a problem.

A year or so ago someone was looking to put a 2-7x scope on a deer rifle and wanted to know if it would be OK for 300 yard shots. My next time hunting I did a test for him and this was my reply. I think that it should be useful for you too.

I had a chance to test my scope at 7x yesterday.

From where I sat I could see a power-line tower that according to Google Earth was 408 yards away from my position. There is a Danger No Trespassing sign that measures approximately 18h x 24w inches.

I sat with my back to a tree and had a tall bi-pod attached for hunting.

First, I left the scope on 3x. I could not read the writing, younger eyes may have been able to :)
With no particular spot to aim, I found that the crosshairs danced around but stayed easily in the kill zone.

Second, I adjusted the scope to 7x. The writing was clear, even for me. I decided that the "D" in Danger looked to be a nice size target, and at 7x I could keep the crosshairs on the "D" without too much trouble.

When I left for the morning I went over to the tower to see the sign. The letter "D" looked to be about 4 inches high and about 3 inches wide.

IMO a 7X scope, assuming a good rest is certainly more than enough scope for hunting.....and if any "letters" get in your way...they are toast :)

edge.

Thanks guys,

I thought it would be fine, but ive just had some sheeple suggesting
I get 6-20 power. But Kahles dont make this type of magnification.

Hi,
Im about to purchase a Kahles 4-12x52 Helia CL with multi zero.
I want to be varminting rabbits out to 300-400 metres and goats at max of 500 metres.
Will 12x power be enough for this?
This seems to be the highest magnification Kahles are making.
(scope will be used on a 300wsm)
Thanks for your help

IMO (after 40 years of hunting, from PDs and elk in Montana to plains game in Africa) you would be much happier, in the long run, with one of the top-of-the-line 4X-16X range scopes rather that the 4-12 or 6-20.

If I had the funds I'd go for the 3.2-17X U.S.Optics SN3.

I don't think you quite need 20X for the longer shots, and the 3.5-4X lower end is better than 6X for the closer shots.

Last edited:
This is a top of the line scope, its 4-12x power.
Yeah, I know Kahles is a very good scope. My point was that you'd be happier with more than 12X for the top power.

USO, S&B and Nightforce or IOR Valdada are what I'd look at..

Last edited:
Well, can someone please give me a model on the scope that they would recommend instead. (has to be under $1000us online).

Would a 6-20 power leupold VXIII do a better job?

Leupold has two 4.5-14X40 Mark4 long range/T, and several 4.5-14X50 VXIII that are less than $1000.

Check out the various websites that sell riflescopes...or just stick with the Kahles you mentioned. It's a fine scope.

Just been in contact with someone, might be getting a Mark4 instead in 8-25x

Will this be a better choice?

Just been in contact with someone, might be getting a Mark4 instead in 8-25x

Will this be a better choice?

Not if you are planning on shooting anything in the field that is less than 100 yards. The 8 power would make it extremely difficult to acquire a target quickly in close quarter situations. The Kales you mentioned is a good choice. If you liked the features you will not go wrong with it. IMO higher powered scopes are great for stationary targets or open spaces. If walking and hunting are combined you need a lower power scope to get on target faster. If you spot a stationary target and have the time you can dial the power up for a more precise shot placement. remember though hunting in brush with a scope on high power you may not see the branch that is 10 feet in front of the barrel, hence another need for lower power in your scope for walking and hunting. My walk and stalk guns are either open sites or 3X9 if I see something out to 300 yards I turn it up and fire or just aim and shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.