enough elevation?

buckdeer

hi guys i new to this game and these forums so can you give me some advice.

i am building two rifles one a 243 and the other a 308. i would like to try making a 1000 yd hit with these rifles. i purchased a 6.5x20 lr and a 8.5x25 lr both from leupold. if i sight these scopes dead on at 100 do these scopes have enough elevation adjustments to make shoots at 1000 using the turrents. thanks for any and all advice

You'll need the 20 MOA base for the .308 unless you use mildot hold offs. The scope only has 72 MOA total. You'll need better than 36 MOA to get to 1000. Which is all you'll have if you are centered. .243 with a 107 SMK should get you there w/o and a little room to spare.

totally depends on how much up you have left from your 100y zero, and what sort of loads you will shoot.

In the .308, you'll be wise to shoot the 175MK at 2,700 fps MV. That load will stay supersonic past 1,000y, and will need about 36MOA to get there.

If you'll use bullets with lower BC (ballistic coefficient), you will need to drive them faster.

Pick your bullet, chrono your preferred load or use a predicted velocity from a loading manual. Then input the data into one of the online ballistic software tools (several available, free), and see what the comeups will be.

Compare them to how much up you have left from your 100y zero, and there you go.

If you won't have enough, you can very effectively use mildots for holdover, if your reticle features them, or get a tapered base or adjustable scope rings (like the Burris Zee type with eccentric inserts).

thanks for the advice, i was planning on using 95 to 105 bullets in the 243 and 168 to 180 in the 308. it will depend of course on how they shoot in my rifles

[ QUOTE ]
You'll need the 20 MOA base for the .308 unless you use mildot hold offs. The scope only has 72 MOA total. You'll need better than 36 MOA to get to 1000. Which is all you'll have if you are centered. .243 with a 107 SMK should get you there w/o and a little room to spare.

[/ QUOTE ]the leupold book reads that the scopes come with 90 moa may want look at the new book but a 20 moa base would still be nice

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.