Enough Bullet in the Case Neck?

Lovellr653

Decided to try for a new 30-06, North East, White Tail load using150gr Barnes TTSX. I've used the 180 in the past and always had plenty of bullet for full contact in the neck. With these 150gr pills off the lands the Barnes recommended 0.050" I won't have bullet contacting the entire length of the neck. I've never run into this or maybe just never noticed this with other loading ventures. Question is, are these bullets seated deep enough to be reliable hunting ammunition? I am using a RCBS FL sizing die with the expander removed and then using a expander mandrel of 0.307". I've done literally zero additional work with this thus far and understand it may not even like that seating depth. What say you?

Attachments

• D719DCC3-C54D-450D-A018-FC0A229E5697.jpeg
    D719DCC3-C54D-450D-A018-FC0A229E5697.jpeg
    692 KB · Views: 149
Decided to try for a new 30-06, North East, White Tail load using150gr Barnes TTSX. I've used the 180 in the past and always had plenty of bullet for full contact in the neck. With these 150gr pills off the lands the Barnes recommended 0.050" I won't have bullet contacting the entire length of the neck. I've never run into this or maybe just never noticed this with other loading ventures. Question is, are these bullets seated deep enough to be reliable hunting ammunition? I am using a RCBS FL sizing die with the expander removed and then using a expander mandrel of 0.307". I've done literally zero additional work with this thus far and understand it may not even like that seating depth. What say you?
In my opinion yes. The 06 has a very long neck. But I would opt for more neck tension than that. Try a .305 expander.

Without your brass being annealed I bet a .305 would give you .004 neck tension after spring back.
I've never got that much to shoot consistently, .002- .0025 has worked for me just about everytime which probably is about what you will have with a .307 but hey only one way to find out

My personal rule (that I sometimes break) is to have one bullet diameter of engagement plus the (boattail) in the case. It just seems to make sense to me, geometrically speaking. You have that plus some. I would let it rip, and if you need to ouch it out further, I wouldn't hesitate to push it out all the way until you are about to expose the next ring on the bullet.

Without your brass being annealed I bet a .305 would give you .004 neck tension after spring back.
I've never got that much to shoot consistently, .002- .0025 has worked for me just about everytime which probably is about what you will have with a .307 but hey only one way to find out
I annealed my brass. I tried to follow the same reloading procedures as I have with my 300PRC which was a new level of precision for me. Figured I may as well hone some newly acquired techniques with this hunting load.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.