enie, meenie, minee, mo... 7mm Rum or 300 Rum

kazoo

I did a search but did not find comparisons between the 7mm Rum and the 300 Rum. Here is my need... I have hunted shotgun and handgun for the past 25 years in the woods of Michigan and am now expanding my range. This will be my first serious rifle for open areas and also to take out west to hunt with a friend that lives in WY. Michigan game will be deer. Out West will be Pronghorn, Elk and who knows, maybe Caribou in AK, and remotely a goat or sheep. I want a flat shooting round because I'm not accustomed to long range shooting and hunting. Judging distances will have to be supplemented with a range finder and a shot 300+ at this time is intimidating. Most of my practicing will be at a 200 yard range with confirmation shooting at longer distances. I want a flat shooter so that holdover won't be extreme. Recoil may be a consideration but I do shoot 3 1/2 inch waterfowl loads and when younger shot 3 inch slugs from a light single shot. A friend had an 8 mm Rem mag that I shot a number of times from the bench before the days of improved recoil pads. I think his was just a plastic butt plate. How would the 8mm compare to the 7rum or 300 Rum in recoil? It appears that either would perform well so is it just a matter of a flip of a coin? I'm leaning toward the 7mm Rum because it shoots a little flatter and would have a bit less recoil, although when using the same weight bullet, would be about the same? As far as the versatility of bullets, I would probably have one load for deer/antelope, and another for Elk. I don't imagine needing a huge assortment other than being able to find the best when reloading. Thanks for the help.

Recoil - If the rifles are exactly the same. It's just simple math. Bullet velocity X weight give X amount of recoil.

You can get some small variation from slow to fast powder as to felt recoil, but it's small.

I like big calibers, heavy guns with long barrels, and quality higher powered variable scopes with lighted reticles.

I only own 3 bullet diameter guns. .277, .284, and .458 My 7mm is a wonderful gun. Elk can't withstand 175 SPBT at high velocity. I loaned it to a friend for a Colorado hunt and he had the big guy standing looking at him at somewhat less than 200 yards and on a slight downhill. He shot it below the base of the neck in the center of his chest. Him and the friends told me that it blew the elk backwards and down on the ground. It was a done deal and never moved again. The bullet had gone clear though it length wise and blew out a big exit wound out of it's butt cheek.

The hydraulic shock was massive. This was out of 28 inch barrel 7mm STW wildcat. So 7 RUM will attain simular speeds.

[ 10-22-2004: Message edited by: budlight ]

It's good to hear of such exceptional performance in the field. I had no clue that a 7mm Rum equivalent would pass lengthwise through an Elk at 200 yards. That kind of negates the need for a heavier bullet. I want to be able to meet my current needs and also future if I move west and get into longer range shooting on a regular basis. After finalizing the caliber I will start my search for the rifle. Where to begin? I have been reading the posts and see that the Sendero and Savage are popular. Keeping in mind that I will have a limited number of rifles so should I get an action and have a longer barrel put on? Would there be a benefit to getting a 30 inch barrel? Is there enough added velocity to justify the cost? Stick with a Savage for this one?

I have used my 29 inch barrel gun out on all kinds of hunting. The only draw backs I've ever noticed is because my gun is so heavy. (The barrel I ordered was 8 1/2 pounds alone.) That when I'm humping the mountians I constantly changing how I carry the gun. right hand,then left hand, then over the should with a sling. The other thing is game trails have relatively low tops. So even though you bend over to go through you forget about this big barrel sticking up another foot over your head and it gets hung up in branches and limbs.

Cost - That's not a factor in barrel length. Go out to a site like lilja or hart barrels.1.250" OD blanks, finished length up to 26" $280.00
1.250" OD blanks, finished length over 26" $295.00

So your only talking $295 and stainless is better for all weather guns.

I got this bottom contour on my .277 gun. Magnum 1,000 barrel and the 1000 br on the 28 inch 7 stw

BENCHREST

Max HV
The largest contour permitted by IBS & NBRSA for the varmint classes, which is a straight taper used for HV rifles (1.250" for 6" X .940" @ 26").

Regular HV
Midsize contour to fit 10 1/2# class for benchrest, for lighter actions and stocks (1.200" for 4" X .913" @ 26").

Undersized HV
For use in 10 1/2# classes with heavier actions and stocks (1.200" for 4" x .870" @ 26").

1000 BR Taper
1.250 X 6" X .940 @ 30"

HIGH POWER CLASS

Over-the Course
Used by most Big Bore shooters (1.200" for 4" X .875" @ 27").

For long range prone shooters (1.250" for 4" X .875" @ 29").

IMO - I have custom guns and I feel that your better off to talk to the gunsmith of your choice and then purchase the stock you want the type of action you want and then you buy the barrel you want. Then you have your name engraved on the barrel and let other people guess what it is. Mine don't even say what caliber or shell casing type they are. I had a sheriff ask me for the serial number of my gun once when he was examining it because of suspected poaching in that area. I told him my name. I look at a gun as a lifetime investment. I have not sold one of my customs even though I've been ask many times.

Guns that are built with a purpose, designed by you are so much more satisfying! Anybody can buy an off the shelf gun. But you end up modifying everything. Your really just throwing all the parts away. Your stock isn't going to fit some big barrel. You get the twist rate you want for what kind of bullets your going to be shooting.

Also "in my opinion" the velocity gained from a 28 to a 30 inch barrel is small. There are big speed differences in say a 24 inch barrel shooting the same round as a 28 inch. Or compare a 26 to a 30 inch

It's easier to hold long barrels steady and they have the ability to burn the slowest powders. They just shoot so sweet.

I had what I considered to be my ideal big game rifle built nearly ten years ago. It is a 7.5 lb .300 Jarrett. It has a #4 taper, 24 " barrel with a brake, and shoots 200 gr. Accubonds at 2980 fps. I've owned several of the heavy type guns that many of the fellas on this site hunt with, but I've since sold them all. Where I hunt, in central CO, a heavy gun is no fun to lug mile after mile at 10-12,000'. I can readily shoot minute of mulie with this rifle out to 500 yards, and probably more if I practiced with this particular rifle beyond that range. If I were to build the rifle over again, I would probably go with a 7mm, maybe even a 7 Rem mag, for elk out to 500 yards. Less recoil and enough energy left, with the 160 gr bullets I favor in the 7 mags. For rifles there are two, other than custom, that I would consider. One is the Sendero that you mentioned. Plenty of info and commentary on that fine rifle on this sight. The other is the Kimber Montana in one of the short mags. I own one of these in a .243. It's one of the finest rifles for mountain use that I have seen. I love to shoot a heavy, super-accurate, long-range rifle, but I would far rather hunt with a light, accurate, 3-600 yd. rifle. There's my $.02 worth.
grin.gif

IMHO, if you're shooting under 300, anything in the 7-08/308/270/30-06 class will do very well. Shot placement is everything, and all shoot plenty flat enough.

Of your two choices, I would pick the 7mm RUM. Find an accurate load with a good 150-160 gr bullet, and use it on everything.

We kill a lot of elk with similar rifles.

Pat S, that was a thought provoking article, and states an opinion that I have agreed with for many years, as it applies to the ability level of the "average" hunter, or to the ranges at which most game is really shot. It is my opinion that for the game we shoot here in CO, the use of a magnum is to extend one's range. Out to 300 yds, beyond the range of most average hunters, the 270-3006 class of cartridges are big enough, even for elk. But this site is not addressing the "average" hunter, is it.
grin.gif

Unfortunately I don't have the area to regularly practice at long distance. A majority of my practice will be at 100 & 200 yards. Occasionally I will be able to shoot at 3-500 yard distances. If I move into the wide open spaces out west, things would change. I don't have near term plans to do so, so I search for the cartridge that will meet my current and future known needs. I basically want a cartridge that I don't have to aim like an artillery cannon in the event that I have a shot at 350 or 400 yards. At this time I don't anticipate a tremendous number of hunts out west so that six point bull elk that I may happen upon that's 400 yards on the other side of the canyon may be the once in a lifetime opportunity that I would have. I wouldn't want to take that shot with a marlin guide gun in 45-70 so I am looking for that "perfect" cartridge for my needs. That's why I'm asking in this forum. I don't need a round that will be effective at 800 yards but one that will be more forgiving due to any errors on my part...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.