Engage smaller targets.

Good advice. There is a balance between small enough and large enough. Small enough for what you mention, but large enough to see where you hit. What you mentioned about narrowing in away from the edges is a great way to get a balance.

I can agree on smaller targets to a point. It depends on the particulars of the targets and backing. You need to be able to spot your misses, when practicing at least. Our targets are not small and all too often I have students not establishing an exact aim point and doing a target analysis after each shot. Common they just get a hit on steel and are satisfied. I tell them to pick a specific point (the small target aspect) and if they hit steel but not within minimal reason, then they didn't hit their intended target. I usually have them targeting head shots just for this reason. Not only is it a smaller target, but is usually clear of impacts. It also instills a bit of confidence when you can make headshots out to some pretty good distances.
Kinda funny, had a student get super excited on day 3 with a 1st round impact when we were trueing their rifles…on a 6'x6' plate…@ 740 meters! 😁

We have one guy who has crazy good steel and has small targets at all distances. 10 and 12" at 800-1100 in addition to larger steel. Has it out to a mile just too much fog the other day to see much past 900. Imperative to me to know your prep to shot, shot, follow through, and impact location. For me they all go together.

I agree 100%. Big targets, and especially things like rocks are not helping anyone. I always recommend a paper target. Theres no deception there. You know exactly how must vertical is in every group you will ever shoot and how far it was from the exact aim point. Plus you can also start paying attention to the shape of your bullet holes. Same goes for cold bore stuff. If your going to drive or walk to the steel to re paint it every time so you can see what your doing, might as well hang a piece of paper and know exactly what your doing.

This can also be said of practicing in adverse weather conditions, when it's windy is best to practice if ur practicing to improve yourself. If it's my form I want to brush up on I like dot drills at 100

Recent Posts