Endless Copper

sealer

I've got a new to me Howa 1500 in 338 Win Mag and I can't seem to get all the copper removed from the barrel. I have alternated between Sweet's, janitorial ammonia, JB Bore Paste, and Hoppe's #9. I have alternated between these 4 items 8 - 10 times over the space of about 2 1/2 hours. And I'm still getting blue patches. I'm out of ideas.
Any suggestions ?
TIA, Dennis

Get some Wipeout or Gunslick bore foam, spray it in the bore and leave it overnight, then reapply and leave it for another 12 hours... It has always worked for me.

Are you using brass cleaning components? With all that ammonia, the brass could be turning your patches blue.

No, I'm using bore cleaners along with the 10% ammonia, not brass cleaning components.
Thanks, Dennis

Yes, the jag is brass but the rod is steel. I hadn't thought about it but it could be coming off the jag.
Dennis

Sounds like you are going after the copper with some aggressive cleaners. So the jag could be giving you a false reading.

I'll try something other than brass jags or bronze brushes tomorrow. I think I have some plastic jags and brushes.
I'll also report back here with my findings.
Thanks , Dennis

For the rough bores found in many factory rifles I have found the best copper removers to be Wipe Out, and Pro-Shot Copper Cleaner and more effective then Sweets. Neither are ammonia based and easier on the barrel.

Heard good things about Wipe Out. I use Bore Tech Eliminator for copper and powder fouling with a nickel coated jag. 2-1/2 hours can be nothing. I just run two patches every 10 or 15 minutes. It can take half a day and then it's still not clean. Let it soak overnight and you'll get more in the morning. Repeat the next day and you'll probably get it all. Custom barrels clean up fast but factory barrels can be a bear sometimes.

I've got a new to me Howa 1500 in 338 Win Mag and I can't seem to get all the copper removed from the barrel. I have alternated between Sweet's, janitorial ammonia, JB Bore Paste, and Hoppe's #9. I have alternated between these 4 items 8 - 10 times over the space of about 2 1/2 hours. And I'm still getting blue patches. I'm out of ideas.
Any suggestions ?
TIA, Dennis
You will almost certainly ruin your barrel if you keep using the strong ammonia on it. I would quit that ASAP and use something that will nullify it's effects.

Not that I'd recommend it to anyone else but I had a bore than was so rough it looked like a sewer pipe and would copper up so fast it really NEEDED to be cleaned about every 15-20 rounds or it would go bad fast.

After reading several articles and posts about lapping the bore again with various things I did so by swabbing the bore with fine lapping compound then pull a loose patch back through it to remove the excess oil and fired a shot. I did this the same way for about 20 rounds and gave it a very thorough cleaning.

It's done nothing but get better since.

"Tubb's Final Finish" may be something to consider but before doing anything I'd suggest getting a gunsmith to bore scope it and tell you what they see and would recommend.

If your rod, jag and anything else are not causing it you must have a rough land or groove in the barrel that's collecting that much material...you could try polishing the bore with diamond DUST but don't GO crazy, you can do more damage than good or put up with it until you save up for a rebarrel, not much else you can do..

I'll try something other than brass jags or bronze brushes tomorrow. I think I have some plastic jags and brushes.
I'll also report back here with my findings.
Thanks , Dennis
Several years back I ponied up the extra cas to get a stainless rod that is epoxy coated and all plastic brushes/jags.

Sure makes life simpler I avoid rodding one on out anytime I can though and pretty much stick with the foaming bore cleaners alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.