Encore/Pro Hunters owners/users Lend me your Experience

brad5192

I'm new here so hi to you all

I would like to know your general views of this firearm?

Do you like the flex stock if you have one?

Do you use a thumbhole stock with flex? I have heard that heavy calibers can break your thumb.

Do you have any problems with using just one round or as it made you a better hunter?

What is the biggest caliber would you shoot given different stocks you can use?

What caliber or ML do you use or have?

Thank you all

A very cclose friend of mine has encores, contenders, and contender G2s, in just about any caliber you can think of from an octagon 22lr G2 pistol barrel to a 300wm pro hunter, 460 s&w 20" prohunter, 209x50 ml he has it all and loves them, they shoot pretty good, I reload a lot for him he really likes his 21" 7-30waters set up, I load 120nbts for him. They are fun to tinker with and and for hunting and what not, recoil is not that bad on any of them, I have shot his 45-70 10" pistol barrel, not bad but ya got to hold on to it. In a nutshell they are not as accurate as bolts guns, 2 reasons lock time, and the fact that your scope is mounted on top of the chamber (harmonics issue).

Lock time is the short time between when you pull the trigger and when it goes off, with a bolt gun the sear directly releases the firing pin when the trigger, on a single shot break down like the encore the trigger releases the hammer, then the hammer must travel forward and hit the firing pin, doesn't sound like a lot of time, and its not, its miliseconds, but its enough to flinh or pull more so than a bolt gun.

I have the prohunter. Have the .50 ML and .243 barrel. Acceptable accuracy with both. IMO the prohunter is best as a ML. I don't care for cocking hammer and for what I perceive as more recoil than bolt actions. Not a fan of any thumbhole stock. Factory trigger not very good. If shooting larger calibers use longer barrels. Recoil and buzzleblast is fierce with shorties. Upside is; lots of choices to change to when desired. Good Luck, TG.

Lock time is the short time between when you pull the trigger and when it goes off, with a bolt gun the sear directly releases the firing pin when the trigger, on a single shot break down like the encore the trigger releases the hammer, then the hammer must travel forward and hit the firing pin, doesn't sound like a lot of time, and its not, its miliseconds, but its enough to flinh or pull more so than a bolt gun.
why is this a disadvantage?? if it's timing of the shot, would the shooter not get used to this???

Most people can get used to shooting almost any weapon, that does not change increased lock time, there will always be a larger margin for error.

I have the Encore in 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 243 Winchester and 50x209 muzzle loader. The 204 will shoot .25 MOA group and the 223 and 243 will shoot .50 MOA. The ML will shoo 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards and is a 250 yd. deer gun. I have a laminated thumbhole stock on it and with the load I shoot I guess it kicks as hard as anything I shoot. Recoil is not a problem with the thumbhole stock. The Encore is a great gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.