Encore accuracy???

roaddog1m

What kind of accuracy can be expected out of an Encore provided the ammo is loaded to precise standards? I know I leave a lot open here but I'm just asking for opinions. I won't hold ya to it.

I get 3/4in groups at 100 yds out of my 22-250 encore with factory barrel and hand loads. I have a friend with a custom heavy barrel in 243 that shoots out to 500 yds and can ring 10in gongs. The main problem with the gun is the fact that you cannot free float the barrel but its easy changing barrels and the ability to maintain zero makes them worth looking into.

Accuracy from a factory encore barrel is just like accuracy from any factory rifle. Sometimes you get a good one that will shoot and sometimes you don't. I have had one factory encore heavy barrel in 7mmRemMag and it did not shoot well at all. I now have a Bullberry custom barrel works encore barrel also in 7mmRemMag and it shoots great with berger bullets and accubonds. In my humble opinion, if you want to shoot an encore, go with one of the custom encores such as Bullberry, Bergara, etc. They make a good barrel, but the Bullberry for example uses what they call a "forearm hanger system" which is as close as an encore can get to a free floated barrel. So, to finally answer your question, the best way to consistently get good accuracy from an encore is to invest a little more money and get a Bullberry custom barrel and their forearm hanger system. Mix that with some quality handloads and it should be a real shooter.

First of all make sure all screws on the scope are tight. I use hanger bars on all the Ecores and Contender, some people perfer other means to keep the barrel and wood consistent each time you fire the rifle. If and when you get a new barrel the load in it may be the culpret. Ofcourse if all you only use factory ammo you are really limited to various brands. I haven't shot a factory load in 50 years or so. A quality barrel is another plus and a big one OTT, MGM Bullberry and some others fit the bill. Had a friend who bought a 7MM Mag barrel he started with factory ammo, he was about to throw it over the hill. I said don't count it out, so I loaded some bullets for him. He shot the 7MM and his eyes got big as sausers, he couldn't belive it. He shot a very impressive group and he became a happy camper. I recently sold all my Encore and Contender rifles. Now I shoot nothing but bolt actions rifles. But I will never sell all my Encore and Contender pistols. Don't give up on a barrel til you have exauted everything. Good Luck lou

I've heard that TC is capable of making accurate barrels, and I personally know
a guy that has been very happy with his .22-250 barrel. I was happy with my
209x50 barrel also, and ordered a .25-06 barrel. It made shot patterns, NOT
groups. No load/bullet combination I tried would do better than 3", while most
were in the 4 1/2" area. Tim Pancurak of Customer Disservice told me they
would check it out and make it right if I sent it in. I sent them a cleaned barrel
and waited.......and waited.....and waited. They sent back a dirty barrel with
no explanation. After that, Pancurak cut off any communication I attempted to
initiate. In my case, so much for "customer satisfaction".

gun) TC Customer "Service".

I've also heard that TC's customer service is great. Perhaps things have
changed since the mid-'90's. Personally, I'll never know, believing in the
phylosophy "screw me once, it's your fault.......screw me twice, it's my
fault".

It's a crying shame that Virgin Valley Custom Guns went out of business.
They made me a Tactical 20 barrel (Shilen), complete with hanger bar and
forearm that has shot as tight as 1/8" groups. Some of those guys are
now MGM, but they do not have the complete service of the hanger bar/
forearm system. However, should I get another Encore barrel, it will be
from MGM or Bergara (who makes their barrels using Shilen's system). It
will NOT be from TC.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.