Emptying factory brass

meatyrem

I have a question about loaded factory rounds. I am wanting to use the brass in the loaded factory rounds that I have in boxes. I am mainly wanting to save barrel life and not put unessesary rounds down the barrel just to get empty brass to start working up loads for my 7RUM, or my 300RUM.

I am wondering: would it not be wise to pull the bullets from the factory rounds and start with fresh brass? But then there is the live primer. What should I do about that? Do I fire off the live primer so I can put in the desired primer? I dont think it would be wise to try and deprime live primers and resize to start loading my own loads. I just have all this brass sitting in boxes that is unfired and I dont want to burn through all those rounds just to get empty cases to start up my own loads. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would it hurt my rifle if I were to pull the bullets and empty out the powder and fire just the primer? I don't think that I can deprime a live primer can I?

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions. Or slaps across the face for that matter.

I have decapped live primers, but was very carefull about it. I wasn't very comfortable doing it, but I've done it. I used a hand decapper and wore a leather glove. I pointed both ends of the case away from me and wore safety glasses. Likewise, I've fired primers only too. I don't know for fact if that is harmful in any way to the barrel, I kinda doubt it would be. I just cleaned the barrel/chamber after I did it just in case.

Curious why you bought factory ammo if you aren't going to shoot it.....don't they sell virgin brass for those cartridges?

Yes they do sell virgin brass. I just had a few boxes of each laying around unfired for quite some time now. I didn't see a reason to fire all those factory rounds just to use the brass, and increase barrel wear at the same time. And I don't nessesarily want to buy more brass when I have a bunch right here, but it's in the factory loaded stage. Plus it will save me one firing too, not that it is a whole lot, but it's one more firing. All I really want out of those factory rounds is the brass.

I hope to clear something up here.

I didn't go out and buy factory ammo just for the brass, I've had this factory ammo ever since I purchased the two guns, I just had a few boxes of each come with each rifle. Then later I decided I should handload, because it just makes way more sense. I do see what you were saying tho, and just wanted to clarify that. I am going to need some virgin brass tho, for my 300rum and 280rem. I will be looking to stock up a little on those two.

I understand how one can get factory ammo that in the end you really don't want to shoot, (or reloads for that matter) so no slap in the face intended.
1) The bullets I've pulled either kinetic, or collett never seem to perform as well at the range as unpulled bullets. So for me they're suspect at that point, useful for fireforming, offhand practice or donated to someone more interested in volume shooting.
2) Powder is also not useable in my mind.
3) Depending on circumstances I've chambered and "popped" primers. I've deprimed on the press carefully with eye protection and good gloves. I've never had one go off. I don't know if it helps "old hands" when I was young soaked them overnight in WD-40. I decided the additional mess wasn't worth it.
4) Then you've arrived at your goal of reloadable brass.
The technical side of it's pretty straight forward, your question would it be wise only you can answer. At the cost of components it would be a shame if you can't find someone to buy them, or trade with.

Just a suggestion,

You could use the factory rounds as a standard when you start to develop your loads. That way you will at least have a set velocity for the particular bullet weights they are in. They can also be used for case expansion measurements as well. While you might work up to and past their potential, at least you will know your somewhere in the ball park when you get there.

Once your done with them you will have once fired and formed cases that fit your chambers.

while I do not head out and purchase factory rounds on a regular basis, I do keep a box or so of commonly weighted ammo around for the above reasons. It helps out when I start from scratch with a new rifle, powder or sometimes to simply to get a scope on paper.

As a plus for me, they also work out for the occasional feral hog or coyote that wanders into range of the back porch, up at our place in the country.

Goodness. Shoiot it, the barrel wear will be virtually meaningless. Or pull the bullets and use the factory primers as they are. Or pull and decap in the sizer normally; live primers are just primers, not dynamite but they won't go off unless you slam the press lever down. And if they do go off, the blast and particle residue will be trapped by the top of your die. Decapping by hand with a hammer and punch is far more risky to your eyes than doing it in a die on the press.

The factory brass I have for one particular rifle is always short. So I dont feel good about it for my hunting loads, so I use first firing of brass for testing and rock shooting, fire forming so to speak, on all 100. Then I load for accuracy and hunting.Most factory brass is .004-.007 short in the shoulder in my rifles.

meatyrem, is this factory ammo all the same brand? Does it match your reloading brass?
If not, you should never mix it all up.

yes Mikecr
All of the boxed factory ammo is the same make, Remington. Which is going to be my initial start for load work up. I was going to use this brass for load development.

You planning on using actual reloading brass down the road?
Are you suggesting that this brass would be used 'only' for load devolopment, and then you'll go to something else?
Just tryin to help

I have pulled bullets , dumped the powder and deprimed live primers so many times I can't remember them all. I can't get a primer to fire while depriming, cause it just takes too much of a hit, of which a decapping pin just hasn't been capable of in my experience. I wouldn't fire those meaningless loads, if it were me, I would just go to work and make good handloads.

I have pulled bullets , dumped the powder and deprimed live primers so many times I can't remember them all. I can't get a primer to fire while depriming, cause it just takes too much of a hit, of which a decapping pin just hasn't been capable of in my experience. I wouldn't fire those meaningless loads, if it were me, I would just go to work and make good handloads.

I agree. Pull, dump, and decap in the press.

Steve

Mikecr

I am going to eventually get reloading brass. I have enough to only get me started but it won't last. The 300rum brass that I have isn't very much especially for two rifles. So I'm going to order some new brass for those. But what I have is not enough to work up enough loads for. My 7rum I'll have about sixty pieces of brass for, that should be good enough for now. Thanks to all that responded that is what I'll do then.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.