Empty AR15 receiver...What upper should I buy or build for a 300 yard deer AR?

That's a bit like arguing whether a 30-06 or 308Win is better for a feral hog. Both are effective to ranges beyond most shooter's ability to hit even a stationary feral hog.

For me, a dead feral hog is a deal feral hog, whether I use a howitzer or a hog trap, the method of death is less important to me than the fact there is one less property destroying critter on my property.
Yes either will work and a dead hog is a dead hog, no doubt there.

The original point was the 6.8 has better terminal performance at most deer and hog hunting ranges. Even with factory ammo it is 100fps faster using the same length barrels and bullet weights. If you handload its 200fps faster. At 100 -200 fps faster the 6.8 has better terminal ballistics due to a larger dia bullet moving faster at distances were SD doesn't even matter.

If you hand load for the 6.8 SPC ll, use a 6.8II/ARP chamber with even more free bore and the PRI mags to utilizing it, the 6.8 has better terminal ballistics to well past 300 yards with good bullets.

But dead piggies is dead piggies

Yes either will work and a dead hog is a dead hog, no doubt there.

The original point was the 6.8 has better terminal performance at most deer and hog hunting ranges. Even with factory ammo it is 100fps faster using the same length barrels and bullet weights. If you handload its 200fps faster. At 100 -200 fps faster the 6.8 has better terminal ballistics due to a larger dia bullet moving faster at distances were SD doesn't even matter.

If you hand load for the 6.8 SPC ll, use a 6.8II/ARP chamber with even more free bore and the PRI mags to utilizing it, the 6.8 has better terminal ballistics to well past 300 yards with good bullets.

But dead piggies is dead piggies
I get the terminal performance side of the equation, but if my purpose is 95% target shooting to 600y and 5% on game would you still take the 6.8 over the Grendel?

I get the terminal performance side of the equation, but if my purpose is 95% target shooting to 600y and 5% on game would you still take the 6.8 over the Grendel?
Personally? No, neither. The honest to God's truth is I kill more trees(paper) than anything else. I love shooting, so most of what I do is target shooting too. The 6.8 is not a good choice 400-600 yards for paper or flesh & bone. The 6.5 G is the winner from 400-600 yards and beyond. The 6.8 SPC excellent as a normal hunting range cartridge, and why it has a a little brother.

The TAC 6, it is a 6.8 SPC case shortened for a longer neck and tweaked shoulder. The TAC 6 matches the ARC 6mm closely performance wise. The ARC 6 has slightly more capacity, but the TAC 6 almost makes up for it in chamber pressure. They both can launch the 103 ELDX at 2800 fps. I would point out if you want to shoot paper with an AR either one is better than the 6.5G and they would both be good for Deer and Hogs. Hornady loads 103 ELDX 6mm ARC at 2800 and the 123 6.5 G ELDM at 2580. The 6mm wins at 1000-Yards and past with more velocity and energy. The ARC 6 is Grendel based and is probably the top pick because it can load the 103-108s shallower so should be more accurate with them than the TAC 6.

Personally? No, neither. The honest to God's truth is I kill more trees(paper) than anything else. I love shooting, so most of what I do is target shooting too. The 6.8 is not a good choice 400-600 yards for paper or flesh & bone. The 6.5 G is the winner from 400-600 yards and beyond. The 6.8 SPC excellent as a normal hunting range cartridge, and why it has a a little brother.

The TAC 6, it is a 6.8 SPC case shortened for a longer neck and tweaked shoulder. The TAC 6 matches the ARC 6mm closely performance wise. The ARC 6 has slightly more capacity, but the TAC 6 almost makes up for it in chamber pressure. They both can launch the 103 ELDX at 2800 fps. I would point out if you want to shoot paper with an AR either one is better than the 6.5G and they would both be good for Deer and Hogs. Hornady loads 103 ELDX 6mm ARC at 2800 and the 123 6.5 G ELDM at 2580. The 6mm wins at 1000-Yards and past with more velocity and energy. The ARC 6 is Grendel based and is probably the top pick because it can load the 103-108s shallower so should be more accurate with them than the TAC 6.
Dang it man, I came into this thread pretty well set on the 6 ARC and then got swayed over to the 6.5G ... now you're just messing with my head! lol

Like I said above 95% of my shooting is on steel out to 600y but I also want this next AR build to be very pig capable for the final 5%. I know the 6 ARC can put pigs down but figured the 6.5G would have a slight edge on them while still being a very capable target round at 600y.

Dang it man, I came into this thread pretty well set on the 6 ARC and then got swayed over to the 6.5G ... now you're just messing with my head! lol

Like I said above 95% of my shooting is on steel out to 600y but I also want this next AR build to be very pig capable for the final 5%. I know the 6 ARC can put pigs down but figured the 6.5G would have a slight edge on them while still being a very capable target round at 600y.
Do what we did. Went with the 6.8 SPC 1st then added a TAC 6. Bad news is the 6mm is catching on and ARP isn't making the TAC 6 right now because they can't even keep up with the 5.56 and 6.8 orders.

These days the Grendel bolts seem to be holding up, and their Mags can always be tweaked to work. So you could pick either one and add the other later.

I through together a cheap budget 6.5 grendel for coyotes and used a 18in cbc industries upper (I know not the best compared to others) added an adjustable gas block and cheap 3 port muzzle brake and surprisingly it was right on. Sub moa groups, never had a failure to fire, feed or eject. Only tried the cbc upper out because I had a lower I put together for awhile just sitting, collecting dust and figured I try it instead of building a upper as I usually do. For the price you cant beat it unless you build your own which I would do if funds aren't stopping you.

++ on 6ARC - that new cartridge would be an awesome deer gun to 300. i wish i could find an upper for one for myself. that and ammo for it...
For a factory cartridge in a light MSR out to 300? Yep. I think so. I don't have one, but I don't need a factory supported cartridge any more for that role.

I went 6.5 Grendel over 6.8 for the sake of logistics here. I can buy 6.5 at several local stores. I could buy, before the executive order, cheap steel case wolf and it was surprisingly accurate. I built an 18 inch gun, but then took that barrel off and replaced it with a 16. Also built a 12.5 inch upper. It is surprisingly effective and efficient for its size. I tend to run the short one suppressed all the time, and the long one sometimes.
I walk hunt hogs where I live.The shorter lighter guns are more effective for what I do, and I made a first round hit at 500 not that long ago with the 16 inch gun. That's all I really want out of a hunting AR.