EMP and gun safes

You're more than welcome to show me where my "back-up" key would have been on my safe! Jus Say'n……that's not an option on all safes! 😉 memtb
I can not speak for all safes, just Sentry and Cannon. They keys are usually shipped with the safe and it is up to the owner to keep them in a hidden area, NOT in the same safe. The key hole is usually under the electronic keypad. I do not know if the manufacturer will send replacesment keyes, but for "overide codes" assuming the lock works, it involves the local police to make sure you are the owner.

Exactly. My neighbor came over last week and asked me what I was doing when he saw me on my hand and knees eating the dandelion's out of my lawn. I said cheap salad and docs orders.
Bloiling them removes some of the bitterness, then olive oil, satl, pepper and lemon. Makes them yummy

Most newer electronic locks are now resistant to EMP. I have an older S&G electronic lock on my Liberty Fatboy and plan on replacing it with one of their newer EMP proof models.
A friend of mine had a newer safe with an electronic lock. He had a fire and thankfully the safe did its job and protected what was inside. Although all the plastics in the lock mechanism melted and couldn't be opened. $400.00 later the safe was opened. Are there some instructions/hints somewhere on how to swap the electronic lock for a Sargeant Greenlee replacement?

Bloiling them removes some of the bitterness, then olive oil, satl, pepper and lemon. Makes them yummy
I tried making wine from them. Followed instructions exactly. My wine tasted like crap. Recently went to a local winery and tried a sample of their dandelion wine and it tasted exactly like the crap I had made. I guess you have to get used to it.

A friend of mine had a newer safe with an electronic lock. He had a fire and thankfully the safe did its job and protected what was inside. Although all the plastics in the lock mechanism melted and couldn't be opened. $400.00 later the safe was opened. Are there some instructions/hints somewhere on how to swap the electronic lock for a Sargeant Greenlee replacement?
I paid about $70 bucks for my last one, looks like the kit is up to about $130. The kit has instructions.

Amazon product ASIN B002EDF466
Here's a video with a description of the problem, picture of the common lock, and how to replace it. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...62C2BB78407C49A887C362C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
Just how wide an area will be affected by an EMP~? A town? A county? A state? A region? An entire country?
This is a serious and legitimate question~!!

I got my instructions from the internet….YouTube I think! I think there were some instructions inside the S&G box ….but, have slept since then! ☹️ memtb

I just got back from Bass Pro. I checked out several safes and all had E-Locks. I attempted to see if there was a key slot under the e-lock. It may be under there, but I couldn't find it. I'm still a mechanical fan.

Electromagnetic radiation essentially works like an inductive cook top. It creates currents in metals and because the metals have resistance, they heat up. Little EMR like radio waves creates tiny currents, just big enough to amplify in to a sound signal, big EMR like an EMP will melt a high resistance Faraday cage and fry the electronics inside.

In my opinion mechanical locks are more reliable and any electronic lock with a backup key is only as good as the key lock (way less secure than a good combination lock).

On the other hand, I think the lock is only a small part of real security and you should make it hard for a theif to even get to the lock.

If you want to prepare against EMP, you need spare electronics that you can keep locked inside a serious Faraday cage, well grounded with small gaps on the door and probably solid metal construction rather than mesh. I don't think I need a safe for this, probably just a modified jobs site toolbox with a good puck style lock. All I need are some batteries, radios, probably a computer with a lot of valuable information and books stored on it, solar panels and a charge controller.

Recent Posts