Emergency tarps and mountain hunting

Froze my butt off on a glacier thinking I was GTG with a Kelly 20° bag and an ancient Thermarest. Put *all* my clothes on, even pulled out my emergency thermal bivy bag, the kind they put in lifeboats, and *still* shivered all night.
Yeah if I were going to overnight on a glacier I'd start with a WM Puma GWS, OR Alpine Bivy, and a sea to summit inflatable. Depending on weather/time of year I'd either add the sea to summit reactor fleece to the system or go with a colder bag.

The Kifaru Sheep Tarp or similar is on my wish list. Comparable tarps would seem to include the Mountain Laurel Designs Monk Tarp, Seek Outside Gunnison (discontinued?), Borah Gear Solo (silpoly). Are their others that anyone else has experience with?

I happen to have two flys for my Tarptent Moment DW so I'll use one as an emergency solo shelter with the light weight main arch pole and 4 stakes. It's got two vestibules so plenty of room to cook "indoors" if the weather is really foul.

The other fly and heavier arch pole is for hunting and winter backpacking.

I always have a cheap camo harbor freight tarp 5x7 I think.... in my pack. I keep several new ones in my truck. I also use them when cleaning/ cutting up a kill on the mountain to help keep the meat clean. Good emergency shelter with my trekking poles and para cord. They are light enough that I don't even notice them.

The temperature rating on a sleeping bag isn't a comfort rating. It's a "keep you alive" down to this temperature rating. For that reason I have a -30 bag for 30 degree camping. Shedding cotton clothing, wearing clean dry fleece and using a neck gator and hat also help me sleep warmer and comfortable, even when it dips below freezing.
When I was a scoutmaster and we camped in all seasons, sometimes I'd pack two sleeping bags, what a difference that would make!!

It might be more lightweight and technically advanced tarps or wind-sacks in the US, but I use one from Norwegian Helsport.

It could be nice for you Americans to check it out:

There are other competing brands too, like "Jervenduken" https://jerven.no/collections/jervenduken

The nice thing is that they can be used either as a poncho, sleeping bag cover (if you don't use down sacks - they get kind of moisty inside) or as a decent wind shelter.

I think the US army uses similar but we had a similar version in the Swedish army (long range unit). We then placed our sleeping bag and pad inside it, then we just rolled it up and strapped it outside the very large backpack. And when we needed to do reconnaissance for a prolonged time or sleep - we just put the whole roll on the ground, rolled it out and then went into it. Can lay there dry in pouring rain and do some sniping for example. Then you can get out of it, roll it up within 30 seconds and run.

Now I prefer to use a good lightweight tent. But it seems like many in this thread could appreciate this more hardcore sleeping style.

Last edited:
I've been using the fly off my 4 season Nallo GT tent for years. I've used it on several multi-day Alaska sheep and mtn goat hunts as well as early season hunts in Colo and Wyo. The fly used alone is bomber-proof against hurricane wind and light snow. If my memory is correct it only weighs around 2 1/2 lbs. The fly is literally gigantic inside with lots of spare room for gear, weapon, boots, cooking and drying clothes out. I often bring painters plastic for a floor. I'm sold on this set up for early season hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.