Emergency gear to keep in Back Pack

I had always tried to keep this first-aid and life saving stuff to a total minimum, then something happened that I needed a tourniquet. total change of thought. now I try to keep it to as much as I can in utility pocket in the depths of my gear slinger I use for hunting. I can not remember everything but I have 3 tourniquets, the first is on the strap of the backpack for immediate action, the other two are in the pocket, itch cream, quick clot, suture kits, emergency blankets, ferro rod with striker/magnesium bar, a few fire starter pods I make from sawdust, dryer lint, and wax in egg carton cups, several sizes of band-aids, water purification tablets, and recently I have started putting a few sizes of tampons in my first aide life saving kit. thee are few more things I have for survival like a 5'X7' tarp and 4 or 5 MRE's just to be safe.
What are you going to do with the tampons?

One thing I do is use a vacuum sealer or zip lock bags for various size wound dressings to keep dry and clean.
I add duct tape. If you take a roll with only a few yds left - take a knife and remove cardboard center. When you have it all out, collapse the roll flat on itself and it makes it easy to carry and take less room.
An elastic wrap is good for a sprang ankle.
Water collection and treatment is a prime concern.
Some overlooked items would be sun screen and lip protection.
Remember not to completely cut off circulation with a tourniquet. A restrictive band is actually better than a tourniquet. Otherwise, release tourniquet every few minutes to maintain circulation.
Alllowing a wound to bleed some helps wash out foreign objects. A person can lose a pint of blood or more without losing consciousness.
A few day supply of critical medicines should be included.
Check the contents of kits available and you may get some ideas for other things appropriate for your area.
In the off season take a Red Cross first aid course.
Stay safe, Jim
Air Force Medic. '67-'71

Last edited:
What are you going to do with the tampons?
Plug a hole that is bleeding, as in a puncture wound. You can look at that as me being funny or gross, or you can take me as being serious and not being funny or gross.
Now this is me being funny: I think more men should carry tampons nowadays.😂

Plug a hole that is bleeding, as in a puncture wound.
That's that old school voodoo field medicine **** or a last minute pinch situation.

I carry a pen to write with, not to turn it into a on the fly needle thoracentesis.

Point being is, I know you got to do what you got to do, but to actually pack it for that purpose when something like a impregnated gauze packing (like our ifak quickclot) is available to civs? To me it seems weird now to go the tampon route, unless one is a super poor.

Agree… kinda as it will plug a whole. I agree as to why would I carry a tampon when I'm issued supplies actually designed for the purpose.

The bleed needs to be clotted more so than hole needing to be filled. Thats why you try to fill the hole. What I'm saying is on its face the method doesn't work that well unless you know what you're doing.

If it's just a hole with no arterial bleed than it's not that important. Hence why I wouldn't pack it. Just like a pen doesn't slip well between ribs for decompression.

Plug a hole that is bleeding, as in a puncture wound. You can look at that as me being funny or gross, or you can take me as being serious and not being funny or gross.
Now this is me being funny: I think more men should carry tampons nowadays.😂
A pad would work better.

Agree… kinda as it will plug a whole. I agree as to why would I carry a tampon when I'm issued supplies actually designed for the purpose.
Do you still have the maven binos? Won't let me comment on the thread but I'm very interested. I believe someone gave you my number.

All,

I have been out of commission for some time. Back to shooting again. Thank you for all of the suggestions. They will be well used.

The TEN ESSENTIALS as listed in most backpacking books should always be in your pack.
As for 1st aid there is no substitute for certain meds, including some for pain. Meds are lightweight and even the placebo effect is helpful.
There is no need for a full "Blowout Kit" as used by soldiers in combat but when hunting it is prudent to carry a "QuickClot" pressure pad and bandage wrap with clotting agent (to stuff into a deep wound) to slow or stop bleeding. So, yeah, call it a "small blowout kit". Always carry a 1" to 1 1/4" wide roll of adhesive tape.
Finally a PERSONAL LOCATER BEACON like GARMIN Mimi In-Reach or SPOT brand PLB is essential. When you are in deep trouble as with a life threatening wound or lost for days you NEEED a PLB. "Don't leave home without it."

EVERYONE whether outdoors or not should take a certified First Aid and CPR course. It takes very little time and effort and you will benefit in so many ways not only in field but at home.

If you have to give CPR at any distance from a vehicle in the back country, in a pair or less, that person is dead.

You can not drive and CPR, and CPR, especially without a defibrillator is a bandaid, to usually, a heart condition. If you're on top of a mountain miles away from a vehicle, that person is dead. If you carry a defibrillator in your pack, then you're not hunting, you're a mobile hospital.

There's the CPR crash course.