Emergency gear to keep in Back Pack

Actually they do and if they are here asking questions they are smart enough to google how to recalibrate it. I don't think it's out of anyone's scope. You can magnetize a sewing needle right? Well by recalibrating I mean re-magnetize the needle in the compass to get it pointing to correct magnetic north direction. Without basic knowledge how to use these tools i agree would be some what if a lost cause but it's not rocket science.

I guess we have sort of high jacked the thread from the OPs actual question so I leave it at that. Anyone curious or have any questions I'd be happy to help them with the subject of map and compass or emergency medicine feel free to PM or start a thread for that purpose.
Hmm. And how do you know it will take to a true bearing? To the degree? I'm not putting a $100 compass in a remagnetizer. It's going back to the manufacture and coming back calibrated to the degree.

It's not rocket science, and I believe people should know it, but it's not a willy nilly thing either. Sourcing maps that work with certain protractors or vice versa is not even easy. Plotting points, is one thing, where you plot points is another thing.

Sometimes you have to go the best way, not the direct way to avoid dangerous terrain. There was a young man a few years ago, prior Army combat engineer, who worked for AZ congressman's office regarding the VA I believe, who went on a trip with his wife in Death Valley. Blew 2 tires on an Subaru ( first mistake) and after days of camping by the car made movement with a map to a place where they thought they could get cell signal. They got to a point where they couldn't climb out and it was too steep to go down. You'll hear this term in SAR as "cliffed out." He slipped, fell and died after hitting his head on the way down. His wife jumped after him. Tragedy.

It happens, and he knew what he was doing. So yes. It's outside the scope until you have the training first and experience to match. Bringing all this **** doesn't make anyone anymore capable.

My point still stands for the AED and all that's stuff.

Last edited:

For anyone that wants to actually learn from the mistakes of others. I highly recommend finding this woman's podcast interview.

"I tried Vaseline and dryer link it would not light"

I've never had a problem lighting cotton balls with Vaseline on fire. I don't usually build fires, but after I harvest I do. So that's with something I've packed for a year or more. I'm not sure what the "dryer link"means maybe lint, I just use a Bic lighter and that cotton ball burns long enough to get damp kindling burning.

I haven't had a problem with using a compass, but full disclosure it did take me the second time to pass the star land navigation course.

In the case of my compass, it was usually in a "Boy Scout Bag" in one truck. Far away from any EM generators. It being off put me at the top of a cliff and needing to go down that face to get to where I was supposed to go. I abandoned the test at that point and walked back to where the instructors were because I knew that they wouldn't place students in a perilous location like that. It went back the mfg and they sent a new one. They did not fix it and send it back to me.

I followed the Lofgren incident from the beginning of it's coverage. A classic case of underestimating the Mojave Desert. Just because it's ringed by high population centers makes it no less dangerous and quite possibly more dangerous because it is so frequently underestimated. DV is full of similar sad stories. Usually they are the result of multiple bad decisions. But I can say that they're bad decisions sitting here knowing what I know about the area, and knowing that those decisions were made as the best option based on lacking or bad information.

If that was my quote, "dryer link", then it is a typo and should have been "dryer lint". The lint burnt sort of OK, it was the Vaseline that didn't want to light.

In the case of my compass, it was usually in a "Boy Scout Bag" in one truck. Far away from any EM generators. It being off put me at the top of a cliff and needing to go down that face to get to where I was supposed to go. I abandoned the test at that point and walked back to where the instructors were because I knew that they wouldn't place students in a perilous location like that. It went back the mfg and they sent a new one. They did not fix it and send it back to me.

I followed the Lofgren incident from the beginning of it's coverage. A classic case of underestimating the Mojave Desert. Just because it's ringed by high population centers makes it no less dangerous and quite possibly more dangerous because it is so frequently underestimated. DV is full of similar sad stories. Usually they are the result of multiple bad decisions. But I can say that they're bad decisions sitting here knowing what I know about the area, and knowing that those decisions were made as the best option based on lacking or bad information.

If that was my quote, "dryer link", then it is a typo and should have been "dryer lint". The lint burnt sort of OK, it was the Vaseline that didn't want to light.

Indeed. About 6 months ago, DV got this guys too. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-Death-Valley-National-Park-car-ran-gas.html

…and many more every year. Everywhere has these incidents. Early this year I was on the PCT doing some scouting when a dude was lost out there looking for a geocache on his GPS. He was about 2 miles from any real road, and that road was a legit Jeep trail looking for a corridor 3 mountain peaks away to bury some vodka? Lol

Sad, Zabriski Point is a high traffic area, it sees Rangers semi-frequently. All that he had to do was wait. And open the hood. First rule of the desert, a car is way easier to spot from the air than is a person. Stay with it. And open the hood. Any Ranger or searcher is going to take an open hood as a sign of distress. There IS shade to be found, it's under the car.

A BLM Ranger once told my boss, who had been hunting Chuckars in the Mojave somewhere and got stuck in a sand drift, that instead of walking out in the daylight to wait for near dusk if he was in good shape and knew without question where he needed to go. But more importantly that if he was in trouble or wasn't sure of where to go, to haul his spare into a clear area and light it on fire. They keep a very sharp eye out for fires in the desert because they're really, really hard to put out. That smoke column would be seen for 10's to maybe a hundred miles away and people would come a runnin'! The Ranger emphasized the spare option over the hiking out option.

Apologies to the OP if I've diverted the thread away from it's intended course. I think that the knowledge hauled around in your head is just as and maybe more important than the gear hauled around in your pack. My hope is that some of what I've picked up over the years will help someone at some point.

So on various things on this thread.

While one should not look at the cost of some of the "expensive" commercial fire starter tabs or bars through the cost lens, if you want to use home made, it is a good idea to use it as intended, and also to test it before you need it for survival. Prorating cost against survival in hypothermia conditions or permanent tissue damage from frostbite should really give you a positive cost-benefit ratio. For example, many people may not be aware that all "cotton balls" are not created equal. For the Vaseline and cotton ball trick, you need real actual cotton, not the polyester makeup balls sold in most places. Read the label. Also, trying to light a densely packed Vaseline soaked cotton ball is not nearly as effective as fluffing the fibers out so they can light. That fluffing also applies to many commercial tabs as well. It is often not just the material, but technique can be very critical.

On tampons, as an old school first aid trainee, I have carried those for years. Now QuickClot and Celox, etc. are available you can bet that is also in my kit. The thing with a tampon is that they are compressed heavily (for easier insertion in their normal use), but when they absorb fluid they expand greatly. This enhances their utility in a puncture wound, or gunshot entry because it applies direct pressure against the inside of the wound to help control the bleeding. And keep in mind that the impregnated gauzes such as QuickClot cqan be wrapped around a tamp[on before it is inserted into a deep wound, pairing clotting agent with direct internal pressure from the expansion of the tampon material.

And on "space blankets" they are not all created equal, and many are a snare and delusion that hopefully will never have to be deployed. In theory a thin mylar sheet coated with reflective aluminum can reflect body heat. Yes, that part is true. The issue is that the mylar sheet used in most of the "emergency blankets" out there are extremely fragile and shred easily. Have you ever tested one for durability? You should. That fragility is magnified under cold and windy conditions. Even a tiny nick in that mylar will allow a full length tear that can happen instantly in wind. Once it fails, it renders the blanket into shreds that look like tinsel. It can quickly become nothing of use at all. Not only have I read of sad cases where people tried to protect themselves from weather with these, only to be left with nothing useful, I have had many of these shred in wind myself under a somewhat different use. They are OK for indoor emergency shelters, or other places where they won't be exposed to damage and wind, but those are not normal mountain hunting conditions. Yes I blithely carried one of those mylar sheets in my pack for years (thankfully never needing it), until I learned their extreme vulnerability to punctures and tears, and then to any pressure, but especially wind. Try it on the corner of the one you carry and see the result. Of late, after looking for something still small and light, but more durable, I found SOL brand products. These will stretch but not shred the way mylar does. I prefer the 2 person size; they also make bivvy tents. There is at least one other brand similar; NDOR is more tear resistant . Yes they cost more, but again prorate staying alive against $10-$15 if you need to use one. These are way smaller and lighter that then old tarp-type original space blankets, and are a good compromise between the bulky original space blanket and the whimpy "mylar emergency blanket".

And last, although most people are aware that magnetic declination varies place to place, it also changes constantly. Don't depend on old maps for your declination if it really counts. Check before you leave for some remote area.

What are you going to do with the tampons?
At the risk of a major thread hijack, a buddy in SE OK keeps his wife's used ones in a zip-loc bag in his freezer .

Pulls one out, lets it thaw and ties a string on it to his boots when deer hunting. Lays a trail.

He kills some BIG bucks.

For penetrating bleeding wounds, they can be used to shove into the wound and will expand to (hopefully) seal it.

At the risk of a major thread hijack, a buddy in SE OK keeps his wife's used ones in a zip-loc bag in his freezer .

Pulls one out, lets it thaw and ties a string on it to his boots when deer hunting. Lays a trail.

He kills some BIG bucks.

For penetrating bleeding wounds, they can be used to shove into the wound and will expand to (hopefully) seal it.
My Father had a trucking Co. during WWII. He had coupons for tires and fuel but not much else. They could not get oil filters so they filled the container with Kotex.