Emergency gear to keep in Back Pack

I bring a TCCC certified tourniquet like a CAT or SOFTT. Never know what could happen (impale yourself, some idiot shoots you, or you leave your spear in the tree stand) and you might have about 30 seconds to save your own life before you pass out and you don't want to waste it wishing you had one. I also bring an Israeli bandage and some extra gauze.

There was thread on here a while ago about fire starting equipment. I typically just have a Bic lighter or two and my MSR backpacking stove which can be used to start a fire if inverted.

I also print out a paper map for my wife with GPS coordinates and areas I am looking at circled and the dates I intend to be there. That way if I am overdue she knows where SAR can come and find me.

Last edited:
I would only bring what you have knowledge in. Take a class. You don't need much, with the right knowledge you can make anything you need on the fly be it splints, tourniquets, needle thoracentesis, etc
Also if you're using the SOFTT I would go with the SOFTT-Ws. I'm assuming that regular 1st gen softt's don't even exist anymore anyways. However a CAT tourniquets are cheaper and work just as good as long as you aren't readjusting them in blood. The blood deteriorated the effectiveness of the velcro. A cool thing about the softt's is they don't have that problem.

There's more of a probability that you need some motrin and anti itch cream. Speaking of which, if one is taking aspirin or motrin and you are also taking tourniquets to the field....um, sure..good luck out there.

Trained, recertification every two years.
Kit below all fits in a 2x4x6 tupperware
Gloves
CAT tourniquet
Suture kit and super glue
Celox (last resort on a bandage)
Bandages, specialty + 1x3 to 4x4, ~5 each size
Gauze, athletic tape, electricians tape
Stiff, bendable aluminum for splint
Face air dam for mouth-2-mouth
4 space blankets.

In a separate, easier to access zipper pouch
Multiple small bandages, ibuprofen, aspirin

Fire starting stuff with my camp stove or in film type canisters
Water filter

Things used most to help other folk : small bandaids and motrin
Water filter

Stuff I have had to use on self
Motrin, bandages, electric tape, ankle splint and athletic tape, superglue.

Forgot to add to the above: bacitracin, steroid cream, small vial of IPA. Used to carry betadine with me until double containment leaked.

Last edited:
So as a small pack, I don't recommend anything now other than. A bottle of eyewash. It's sterile and can irrigate a wound or an eye, I use this often during training.
A SAM splint a small one.. this may be substituted with a second ace wrap and if so a 4 and a 6 inch.
A small amount of the following. Motrin, Excedrin, pepcid, benadryl, meclizine, Bernadine or a skin prep/antimicrobial of your choice.
A small flashlight. Like a single AAA battery size.
As to a tournament we stopped giving all the other ones out we only use RATS now. Try putting on one with only your L arm, hell I get the other brands in from EMS they placed on the patient and they're not even on correctly!! So hurt, bleeding out, dizzy and not thinking clearly from low blood pressure and shock a RATS is going to be hard to do and it's the easiest one by a long shot, pun intended, lol.there are a couple of other things depending on where you are. Hand warmers. A space blanket, water purification tabs... If you are hurt and cannot travel you may have to drink from a wet nasty, or a life straw. Message me if you want more info. This does have to be a huge pack but if it supposed to be honest and worth the bother then properly made it'll save your bacon.

Remember a 9v battery is power for a flashlight, a IR becon/strobe and a fire starter with steel wool. Make as many tools do multiple jobs as you can. Almost forgot, a hemostatic agent. There are a few your choice. A couple are not required to be removed and some are. Just be aware.
Also play with the stuff so you are familiar with it.

Daypack: A warm hat, raingear, a bivy sack, small tarp, p-cord, knife, duct tape wrapped around water bottle, and snacks.

Overnight: add small first aid kit: moleskin, bandaids, neosporin, ibuprofen.

I had always tried to keep this first-aid and life saving stuff to a total minimum, then something happened that I needed a tourniquet. total change of thought. now I try to keep it to as much as I can in utility pocket in the depths of my gear slinger I use for hunting. I can not remember everything but I have 3 tourniquets, the first is on the strap of the backpack for immediate action, the other two are in the pocket, itch cream, quick clot, suture kits, emergency blankets, ferro rod with striker/magnesium bar, a few fire starter pods I make from sawdust, dryer lint, and wax in egg carton cups, several sizes of band-aids, water purification tablets, and recently I have started putting a few sizes of tampons in my first aide life saving kit. thee are few more things I have for survival like a 5'X7' tarp and 4 or 5 MRE's just to be safe.

All the stuff above is great advice. Especially the quick clot Freddie mentioned. Of course some duck tape has a million uses. Patch for a blister, make shift bandage, gear patching even fire starter. Small bottle of hand sanitizer for a disinfectant and fire starter as well. Water purification stuff a must. Get a book or two on survival gear but read the reviews carefully, make you get ones that are directed at your potential worst case situations. Info on treating gun shot wounds is vital for hunters, info on arctic survival not so much (unless your are going after polar bears). They will help you understand how to build the best kit.

Fire starter, emergency blanket. peanut butter honey and bacon sandwich, anesthetic, needles, syringe, suture and small needle holder and scissors. Band aids .

Tiny zip lock bag with a variety of meds, simple small bandages and a clot pack on the medical side. Hurricane proof lighter, spare batteries for necessary electronics & back up flashlights.