ELR Scope Options - need suggestions please

royinidaho

Problem: Massive rig in 375 Allen Magnum comes in at 19 pounds.

Idaho legal limit is 16 pounds for big game. Darn,,,,,woofs are big game......

Want to be legal.......

On it is an NXS 5.5-22 X 56 w/2 sets of NF light weight rings. Specs say scope alone without sun shade is about 32 oz or 2 pounds.

I have trimmed the Mc A-5 stock down from the inside in a manner that "should" not impede structural integrity.

I have 0.25 pounds to remove and can't see where it can easily be removed from the stock.

Went through a selection of recoil pads and picked the lightest that would fit the butt. Then hawged it out to the max extent practicable.

The trigger guard is only 0.01 pounds so not much to work with there.

I would really like to stay with the NXS but a 50 MM objective isn't enough less than the 56 to make a difference.

Vortex scopes, at least the ones I've googled are heavier than the NF.

Leupolds MK 4s are a full 10 oz or better lighter however I don't have the confidence in them tha I have in the NF.

Plus I am way more pleased with the NF reticle selection.

For ELR stuff I'm fairly certain that 20 to 22 X is about minimum power.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Roy

Next time you see a game warden ask if he carries a scale. I cant imagine anyone really asking the question about weight unless this gun LOOKS like its 20lbs. We live in idaho......need i say more?

Next time you see a game warden ask if he carries a scale. I cant imagine anyone really asking the question about weight unless this gun LOOKS like its 20lbs. We live in idaho......need i say more?

This thing looks like it weight 40 pounds. Just looking at it humbles a fella.:D

Oh they have scales and they do check. Know a couple buddies that have had it happen. Knowing Roy his would be all pimped out and would for sure be one they would check! :) hehe

The NXS runs at 34 oz. Vortex are a few oz heavier.

Leupolds are around 20 or 22 ounces.

It's that lesser weight I'm considering.

I've leaned of the new TS-30something reticle that looks interesting.

I'm not sure you'll find the quality scope you are looking for at that weight. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. I'd recommend you look at weight reduction through other means, like fluting the barrel where you can shave close to a pound of weight with heavy flutes. Kahles is known to be lighter weight than similar magnification range scopes, and the K624i is still 33 ounces.

Geb

You could take a look at the Huskemaw 5x20 at about 23 oz. I have have been using two of them for four years. Performance, durability, and reliability has been on par with my NXS scopes. I originally tried one for weight savings on a LR/Carry rifle finding my NXS too heavy and bulky. What a pleasant surprise!!

I have a Mark 4 on one of my 338 Normas,that is my pack rifle,believe it is 22 oz. I am mil guy and love the TMR,but hear they have a moa type out now. I have had no problems scope is going on 5 yrs use.For the weight hard to find light scopes, Ive been looking. WOuld like to try the 3-24x 52 March, they are pricey and a good use Leo is 1/2 the coin.

March 2.5-25x52 = 23.4 oz with 120 moa vertical. March 2.5-25x42 = 18.7 oz with 100 moa vertical. Quality glass and sure tracking. Price is only drawback.

Carry two rifles, the big one is for target shooting. Second one is legal weight for Wolves. Use quick attach mount, goes on Picatinny mounts depending on whether you are shooting targets or wolves. It is not against the law to have an overweight rifle with you unless you have a pelt at your feet with a hole in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.