ELR? Elk

Bravo 4

I didn't really plan on posting this, but I am pulling CQ duty tonight and am pretty bored. I also didn't know where to post this, LR Hunting-Elk- or ELR. Since it's over the 1,000 yard minimum mark I put it here.
Thought I was gonna have to miss another year of elk hunting, but we got a new Sergeant Major who at the last minute gave me the go ahead. I think I'm gonna like this guy.
A buddy and I slipped away for the 3rd season in Colorado and was getting some mixed feed back on where to go. Another buddy of mine had hunted the 2nd season the week before and had seen several bulls in unit 32 and 22. He had missed a good bull and then had another at 480 yards, but he doesn't shoot past 300 and passed the shot up. He gave me a good general idea of where to go and so off we went once I was released on Thursday afternoon. After we drove the 1200 sum-odd miles and got to the hunting grounds we didn't set up camp but instead started scouting/glassing. We spotted a large herd on a distant ridge several miles out but determined that to be private land. There was a large bull, a few smaller ones and about thirty cows in the group but also noticed a couple of decent bulls that stayed several hundred yards away. There were also trucks and hunters everywhere! After watching them till dark we made the plan of hiking in a couple hours before sunrise and setting up on a ridge that had the border to public/private in sight and hope one of the legal bulls would cross over. After trying to sleep in the truck we set out to put some distance between us and the road. My buddy was having trouble negotiating the terrain and as first light peaked up I told him I was gonna push up ahead and start glassing. About a minute after reaching the top I seen a nice bull about 150 yards away cresting over the saddle I was on but the brush was too thick to get a good shot. I move a bit to a better vantage point and set up for a shot on my shooting sticks. Just as I got him in the scope he jerked his head up over in my direction and bolted over the ridge the same direction from which I had just came. While I sat there perplexed on what went wrong I heard my buddy come crashing through the brush behind me. He had a look of dispair and was so tired he didn't care we were hunting at this point, until I told him he just spooked a good bull. He learned a good lesson on this trip...get in shape. After a few minutes we set up to glass and had spotted another bull at 950 but the brush was so thick where we were I couldn't get down on him and he crested a hill out of sight. About an hour or so later we had split our efforts and were watching different areas when my buddy stood up and waved me over. He had spotted another bull by the border about 1000 yards out standing in a thicket watching in our direction. I ranged him at 1007- 1005- then 1006 yards, so 1006 it is. I found a good flat spot and cleared me a shooting lane, checked the wind for the upteenth time (I have a tendency to constantly check the wind while I'm observing the area) and determined it to be 3mph 1/4 value from the left. Double and triple checked everything and got straight behind the rifle on the bipod with a rear bag while he got behind the spotter. Dialed 6.6 mils elevation and held a half mil left to compensate for the spin-d and small amount of wind. He gave me a "Spotter Ready", I gave him a "Shooter Ready", he said "Send It!" and I touched it off. With a good follow through I got back on him to see the bullet impact the onside high shoulder and watched him drop. Perfect hit. A high five and congrats then on to planning on how to get him out.
I felt so bad about the shape my buddy was in that I packet him out myself and told him to keep hunting. I learned a lesson here as well; even after taking the time to de-bone the meat I don't care how good shape you're in, THAT SUCKED! I will never do that again. He is just gonna have to man up next time.
No hero pics, I was by myself and wanted to get the party started.
Pic 1 is the elk how he laid after I hiked a couple hours to him.
Pic 2 is what was left of the 300gr SMK after hitting him at around 1900fps, the jacket seperated and was in the hide on the far shoulder but the core made an exit hole about the size of a quarter, lots of damage to both
Pic 3 is from his location to the spot I shot him from.

Attachments

• recovered bullet.jpg
    recovered bullet.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 25
  • shot spot.jpg
    shot spot.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 25
Sorry the first pic didn't attach, darn GOV computers.
EDIT: Still didn't load that pic, here is one you just can't see him as well.

Attachments

• elk2.jpg
    elk2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Great job and report!!

Anyway to enlarge these pics? I tried clicking on them and nothing. Might be this new *** computer with windows 8

Anyway congrats again.

Jeff

.338 Edge built by Kirby several years back.
Scope is a Leupold MK4 FFP 6.5-20 TMR/M5 knobs

300SMK
90gr H1000
FED 215's
2860FPS

Broz,
If you are asking me about anything computer generated here is my response: If you cannot just plug it in and turn it on, it's beyond my expertise!

He is not the same caliber a bull as the one you shot, he is just a nice 5x6. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I got one this nice but he is not what I would consider a wall hanger. On the public land we were hunting I think any legal bull would have been in trouble. I was just lucky, after talking with several dozen hunters and a few game wardens this was the only bull killed in the area to their knowledge. I know that the first bull I seen that morning got spooked towards the herd of road hunters and had half a dozen shots fired at him. That is not my style of hunting, I put up with enough public land hunters in my home state of Arkansas. Opening morning has everybody and their Grandmother out in the woods. I'm thinking I would rather save up for a few years and go on a guided remote or drop camp in the wilderness then go fight the crowds every year. I didn't spend all that money and drive 20 hours for the comradery with my fellow man. There are deer camps all over the place for that.

Nice bull great shot cant wait to get out the next two weekends are my chance.....
Pictures do not open up bigger, you can try right click on picture, view picture, then hold "CTRL" key and press +++ to make image bigger coincidentally ctrl and - makes it smaller works on most computers most any page any browser try it on here .

Broz,
If you are asking me about anything computer generated here is my response: If you cannot just plug it in and turn it on, it's beyond my expertise!

He is not the same caliber a bull as the one you shot, he is just a nice 5x6. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I got one this nice but he is not what I would consider a wall hanger. On the public land we were hunting I think any legal bull would have been in trouble. I was just lucky, after talking with several dozen hunters and a few game wardens this was the only bull killed in the area to their knowledge. I know that the first bull I seen that morning got spooked towards the herd of road hunters and had half a dozen shots fired at him. That is not my style of hunting, I put up with enough public land hunters in my home state of Arkansas. Opening morning has everybody and their Grandmother out in the woods. I'm thinking I would rather save up for a few years and go on a guided remote or drop camp in the wilderness then go fight the crowds every year. I didn't spend all that money and drive 20 hours for the comradery with my fellow man. There are deer camps all over the place for that.

He looks like a great bull to me and reading of how you set up for the shot was cool. I love those type of shots where everything works out from good planning and preparation. I know that feeling waiting during bullet flight and the satisfaction when the wait is ended by the animal folding up and going down to stay. Pretty darn cool indeed.

Congrats man , and again, great job on the trigger end.

Jeff

Bravo 4----great story and congrats. Sometimes, you just can't depend on your huntin partner, but you can on a trusty steed!

Randy

P.S. And I ain't EVER packin an elk out on my 55 year old back again...............

Attachments

• deer 3.jpg
    deer 3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the kind words.

As far as the pack animals, I have a horse that I might try to train for next trip. Problem is he thinks he's a dog. We rescued him a couple years back and he has never been ridden, gonna take a lot of work. He has a couple of little goat buddies that follow him around all day...:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts