ELR Custom Rifle or Military Sniper Rifle

flcs3527

Taking the plunge into ELR shooting. I have a reasonable level of shooting experience over 1000 yards. I've collected and shoot many types of weapons. I'm 66 and emptying my bucket list as fast as I can. I want to shoot the "King of 2mile". Just shooting in the match is primary - Win, loose or draw makes no difference. Here's my question.

Which rifle would be the best to buy, shoot and sell - a custom rifle or a military sniper rifle?

If you are wanting to shoot 2 miles you are going to have to build, the military snipers do engage targets at that distance but they have a radio and can bring indirect fire and or air assets to deal with targets at that range. Hitting man size targets at 2 miles has a very low hit percentage. Most of the people that shoot ELR shoot large caliber rifles that you cant get at the local Walmart. Build what you want and have fun.

Absolutely custom build. 375 CT is pretty much the bench mark. If you keep an eye out they come up second hand from time to time.

Depends on your budget...there's some "factory" rifles that will get you there but they aren't cheap...DTS, Gunwerks HAMR, etc....

Optics will be your biggest expense...

Taking the plunge into ELR shooting. I have a reasonable level of shooting experience over 1000 yards. I've collected and shoot many types of weapons. I'm 66 and emptying my bucket list as fast as I can. I want to shoot the "King of 2mile". Just shooting in the match is primary - Win, loose or draw makes no difference. Here's my question.

Which rifle would be the best to buy, shoot and sell - a custom rifle or a military sniper rifle?
custom built with round made for long range

A custom rifle in the 375 will hold its own in the ELR world it is also a affordable build when it comes the the rifle and the components needed to reload. From there you have the 41XCs, 416s and the 460s that are common but you still can't go wrong with a well built 375.

A few events close to your area that also help towards your qualification points towards the KO2M
Unholy Alliance shoot in Gladstone VA area - April 23-24
Moccasin Valley Precision event in Lebanon VA area - April 30 - May 1st
Poke the Bear ELR shoot in Gladstone VA area - Oct 22-23rd
Kansas, Texas and New Mexico have events as well that build credit and ranking.

A excellent choice for a gunsmith in Virginia would be Robert Vestal at Vestal Custom Rifles in the Bristol, VA area he has built many top placing rifles in the ELR community
Vestal Custom Riles - 276-669-9680
Another Gun Smith would be Warner Tool out of New Hampshire 603-352-9521

Our Wisconsin crew had three great years at the KO2M - 2017-18-19 the first year we just missed the finale and the last two we were in the finale all three years we nailed the coldbore shot.

2020 was canceled and last year a major work conflict now that they moved the KO2M to the end of Sept. didn't allow travel.

If you have a bunch of questions, fire away and I will try to answer them when time allows.

osoh

Last edited:
I have stretched out a few rounds with the 50BMG, 338Lapua, and some others. Cost got to me after a while and ran out of places to shot. Its super to reach out and touch someone out there but it got to me sold the 50BMG and all connected with it, till have the Lapua and some others. Now working on a 6mmXC II- not tooo much recoil and easy on the pocket. Good luck with the ELR's , there is always a new round out there. Now can't go wrong with the CT's .. Just how deep is your pocket and a place to shot it ???? Getting a little tooo old , now just want to be able to hit something a way out there and not blow the budget. Good luck to you youngsters out there, carry the torch and shoot straight and often , still have my first triple 2's.