ELR 338 Bullets

linuxfreak003

Just trying to come up with a comprehensive list of Good Long range bullets for the 338. So far, I have experience with:
250gr Berger - Advertised BC .682 - bullet ogive won't let me get close to the lands and still fit in the magazine.
300gr Berger - Advertised BC .818 - same problem as the 250 for me. Loaded some single shot an got decent groups.
285gr Hornady(Amax) - Advertised BC .720 - This is the best load I have found so far. I can get the bullet right up to the riflings. Shot about 1/2 MOA @ 300 yrds, if I am remembering correctly.

If you have any other 338 bullets that you have experience with please share. Especially if you calculate the BC to be different than advertised.
Now, I really started this thread(before I realized I was also curious about everything else too) to see if anyone has tried the GS Custom bullets in the 338 Lapua, and if their BC really is as advertised. A BC of .972 seems really high for a 267gr bullet..

GS bullets have BS bc. If I remember correctly they are mid 7's. Super sensitive to jump in my old edge and could not push them fast enough to get good stability beyond 6 or 700 yards. I have had great luck with the Hornadys and bergers but run the hornadys since they also feed from my mags.

Sometimes you just have to ignore the norms that everyone else is complying with. Just for the heck of it I seated the 250 Berger EH bullet to magazine length. When I measured the loaded round it left the bullet .215" off the rifling.
At 300 yds, 3 out of 4 bullets went into .5". A fourth round opened the group to 1.3.
I repeated this load for the following week and shot groups at about 1.5 @ 300yds.
BTW - I loaded some up that we're .020" off the rifling and they shot patterns rather than groups. :D
It's worth a try .

I get the same thing happening with my 338nm and 300gen otm. Seated way off the lands and they grouped excellent.
Xdeano

Sometimes you just have to ignore the norms that everyone else is complying with. Just for the heck of it I seated the 250 Berger EH bullet to magazine length. When I measured the loaded round it left the bullet .215" off the rifling.
At 300 yds, 3 out of 4 bullets went into .5". A fourth round opened the group to 1.3.
I repeated this load for the following week and shot groups at about 1.5 @ 300yds.
BTW - I loaded some up that we're .020" off the rifling and they shot patterns rather than groups. :D
It's worth a try .

I did seat the Bergers to magazine length. They still shot. I got one good group which I think was a fluke actually because I could never repeat it. Not anywhere near the way the Hornady's shoot out of my rifle. though. I guess I could have tried seating even even shorter than mag length. Never did try that actually.

Azprc - thanks for letting me know about the GS bullets. I thought there was no way the bc could be that high. Mid 7's is right around there with everything else. Kind of hard to beat the Amax's on price then except maybe with SMK's but I do like the balance of the 285gr Hornady.

I didn't even know they made a 300gr Accubond..... Just checked the site. So they do.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If anyone has any other 338 bullets they would like to share that would be great too. Kind of nice to hear about everyone else's experiences with different bullets too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts