Elk Rifle Input Needed

When I worked for my LGS I asked the owner what I needed for elk. This man has hunted nearly all game throughout the world. He asked me what I currently hunt with. I hunt with a .30-06. His only recommendation was to use a heavier bullet. I use 150gr SP for Whitetail.

He recommended increasing to 165gr or heavier. Should I find myself on an elk hunt I'll likely shoot the Hornady ELD-X 178gr in my Browning X-Bolt FLD .30-06 topped off with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 P BT which is more then enough for elk.

I've heard nothing but great things about the ELD-X line of loaded ammo.

TexasSportsman that's an outstanding elk rifle and load. Good to 600 yards and plenty powerful.

Thank you. I've had the same rifle scope combo for years and see no need to upgrade everytime technology takes a step forward or two.

We'd spend more time upgrading than we would hunting.

Last edited:
gatrapper;
I have been on 5 elk hunts killed a bull each time largest was a 340" 6x6 smallest my first was a 250 5x5.
Your 270 is plenty powerful (especially if you use a bonded bullet like a NAB) enough for any elk at reasonable ranges key being reasonable range.
If you are set on up gunning then I can not recommend strongly enough you begin at 30/06 or 7mm Remington Magnum. The 7mm RM is the worlds most popular belted magnum for a reason excellent performance and the most mild recoil for any belted magnum. Most rifles come today with the option of a factory MB or a threaded muzzle so breaking the rifle should be no problem.
The 30/06 is still as popular as sliced bread for a reason its very accurate and more than powerful enough for anything save for the big AK Grizzly and Brown bears
But as has been stated I do some serious looking for ammo availability to choose your caliber but I will say my local Cabela's had most popular rifle caliber hunting ammo in stock the last 7-8 times I was in there, all be it rather costly.

AS you do not reload and finding reloading components is actually harder than finding factory ammo you will almost have to choose as popular a caliber as you can to help insure you will be able to buy ammo for it. So calibers like 30/06, 7mm RM 300wm or 300wsm will be solid choices.

As far as what rifle I envy your budget of $2k as I could never afford such a rifle. AAMOF my most expensive rifle and optic combo doesn't cost $2k more like $1600.
I can whole heartedly recommend the Tikka T3 as I own two and both are 100 yard 1-holers with my reloads.
My friends own two Tikka's in 300wm also great accurate guns.
Here's two good sites to check caliber specific ammo availability:

If I were to hunt elk today the only ammo that I have on hand that is anywhere near suitable is a box of long discontinued Remington Core-Lokt .30-06 220gr SP.

Scratch that. I also have 150gr SST ballistic tip Hornady which is a little hotter at 3110 fps than the standard American Whitetail 150gr ammo at 2910 fps that I been using. I'd be comfortable using the SST at 200 yards or less for elk but would be more comfortable with the ELD-X 178gr at longer range.

The 220gr ammo passed along to me when my Dad passed away, that and a worn Remington .30-06 pump rifle.

It's no long distance cartridge to be sure but during its heyday it took down a lot of elk. It's the only ammo my grandfather used for N.Mex elk.

Last edited:
RUM and done...

Ammo is expensive, but I seem to see it regularly in the box stores.

I had an 8.2# scoped and no brake 300 RUM (should have left it as it was now it's 10.5#). Recoil was stout, yes, but not unmanageable. Anything magnum are all gonna rattle your teeth without a brake. Like getting in a fight, you know you're gonna get hit, suck it up and take it.

Stepping up from your 270 win, go real big...

My brother has a 300wm...taken lots of game...but he also has a 270...and it's taken a lot of game...
Your 270 will take elk....no real reason to go bigger....just buy a nice scope and keep shootin'.....
I sure haven't read all ten pages but this lines up with what I thought when I was reading your post.
The 270 has killed a gagillion elk. If I were you you I'd get a high quality scope with BDC reticles and rings and mounts. Do or have done a proper bedding job on the stock if it hasn't already been done.
Heck man, your trip is gonna cost enough.
If ya DIY your hunt that's great. If ya hire an outfitter there is that and then the tip for the guide, cook and wrangler.
But if ya have to go with a bigger gun pick one and proceed and enjoy it
Better start buying points in states that allow it now. It will add greatly to your odds when you are ready to go