Elk Rifle Input Needed

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper
Your .270 Win with 150grs load should work just great, "if" you were a reloader even better. Stay in the bullets fpe for the size game you're hunting. Good luck.

****this****
Stick with your 270

Yep, this pretty much says it all. Anyone thinking that the 270 isn't a great elk round is more or less commenting on either their lack of knowledge and or their ability to shoot...

Rescope it if you wish, but I'd stay with your 270.

I might of missed it, but when is your elk hunt and in what state?

Well, with the ammo, reloading components and accessories the way it is now and for what looks like the fairly long term future I'd keep it simple and cheap...saving your cash for when the things get better... about as cheap and effective as it gets, a TC Venture or Icon in .300 win mag...will harvest any elk you can hit...they both are great shooters, more than enough to hit a beachball sized kill zone..

270 Weatherby Mag with 156 Hammer Hunters or the 140 Badlands BD-2 would be all the elk medicine you'll need and then some. And the bullets can both be in hand very quickly. I'm sure the Berger 170 EOL would do great as well. I would concur with the hesitation on using the SST's on such a touch animal at the speed you're running them. Elk meat is too good to waste. ;)

Both projos are subject to twist. Even a lighter option in either would be great.

Yep, this pretty much says it all. Anyone thinking that the 270 isn't a great elk round is more or less commenting on either their lack of knowledge and or their ability to shoot...

Rescope it if you wish, but I'd stay with your 270.

I might of missed it, but when is your elk hunt and in what state?
New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado would probably be the main destinations since I have family there.

Christensen Arms Mesa in 300 win mag with a muzzle break. Kicks less than my Tikka T3 lite in 308.

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper
Have a look at the Bergara series of splendid rifles.
Hard not to like them.

At the end of the day and elk doesn't know the difference between a bullet from a 270 or a 300wm. The best elk gun is going to be the one you shoot the best... the one you know you can pull up and know the bullet is going to go right where you want it. I've seen a bull get dumped dead in its tracks with a 7mm and another take 3 from a 300rum and take off. I personally hunt/guide elk with a supressed 28 nosler. It's a hammer of a rifle with the 195 berger and provides a little wiggle room just in case a hunters don't make a perfect shot. Please shoot me a pm if you have any questions

I'd take a chance on this rifle---got a McMillian stock--and a remmy 700 barreled action. the 2 remington classic I have shot in a 35 Whelen have dang near been 1 hole guns. The 35 is a sweetheart of a medium bore. Got decent reach for a mid bore (400 yards), and plenty of punch. Also the last time I went into Cabelas it is one of the few rounds on the shelf...

If you dont want a 35 whelen then step on in to the pool and start with a 338 win, or a 340 weatherby. I see if your going to take a step up---take a step over the 270---a 30 is a step--but a 33 caliber is a real step in power.

Last edited:
Thank for you all the input and well written responses. This forum is truly amazing and I can't thank y'all enough for all the information you have provided.

I definitely want a new gun. My current 270 has a lot of sentimental value and I don't want to change stocks or modify it in any way. I would like to have a dedicated big game mountain rifle. Similar to having a dedicated wing shooting shotgun and one intended for turkeys.

Shot distance---I don't want to feel limited.

Recoil sensitivity--I shoot a 12 gauge 870 SuperMag with 3.5 inch shells. The gun is miserable to shoot, but I don't target practice with it. When I pull the trigger, a turkey is dropping. Additionally, I don't notice the kick when shooting at a turkey.

How many "Big Game" hunts? I honestly don't know. I would like to start taking yearly trips out west.

I have read that 3.5 inch turkey load is 71 ft lbs of recoil and 300 WM is 30.5 ft lbs.

If this is true, I am leaning towards a 300 WM.

Thoughts?

Here's the deal...the cartridge case holds a bullet and powder. Some people like to think the belt or non-belt have mystical powers. Or this case is more efficient..blah blah blah. Don't get lost in this fantasy land.
Compare the ballistics on a 300 wm/rum/nosler/wsm/prc/weatherby/etc. Only at extensive distances will there be a minor difference.
What will make a bigger difference is the quality of the gun and shooter.
You'll have all the gun needed to hunt big game with a 300 wm. Ammo is more easily found than most of the others and you'll never question "is this enough gun?"
FWIW...I would pay attention to the twist rate of the barrel. 1:10 is the minimum..1:9 would be ideal.

Great looking hammer put more shekels toward top tier glass.

May be a bit over budget but has a good bit of bells , whistles, and modern looks to it…the 340 is a true one gun does "it all" or about 85% of your hunting needs—makes a 300 win mag look like a piker on power..and once you learn how to dance with it—you will never go back. I use a 338 Norma a good bit—I love the power, the bullet weight, knockdown, windbucking ability…33 are where it's at for killing stuff—big and small.

Recent Posts