Elk Rifle Input Needed

I'm an Idahoan and have killed a lot of elk with my 45 year old Remington BDL 7mm Rem mag 160gr Nosler Partition. A few years ago I bought a Tikka T3 .270 lite as my lighter mountain rifle. I'm now 3 for 3 in elk kills with the 270 & SST 130gr ammo (all one shot kills). With its design, DBM, smooth action and accuracy, I'm impressed with Tikka rifles. I did work some time at C's gun department and sold more Tikkas than other rifle. At its price point, IMO it is a Best Buy rifle. However, because it is light, I don't recommend it for magnum calibers. Plus, I do not like brakes or cans for hunting.
If you came to me at the gun counter, I'd recommend you see how the following rifles feel "to you:" Tikka T3x Lite line (.270 or 7mm-08); Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon line or Bergara Premier line (6.5PRC or 7mm Rem mag).
For optics and for a first time western hunter, take a look at the LEUPOLD VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER with a good ~ 1,000 yard rangefinder. Try them out a dusk outside (preferably mounted to a demo stock). The LEUPOLD CDS is a great, user friendly ranging option. Good hunting!

Last edited:
What ever you can shoot accurately like my dad used a 270 works, I started with a 3006 then a 338 Win Mag. I now hunt an area where shots can be long like 550+ yards. I picked up a 340 Wby Accumark and it smacks them pretty good. I reload everything.

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper
Buy a Seekins Precision Havak. High quality components, light weight, lifetime warranty, made in Lewiston ID, and shoots lights out. Priced under $2000

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper

Shhhhoosh, don't speak so loud, you might hurt the feelings of your "old" .270 rifle. So sad when a nice hunter separates from their old trusty reliable gun for a newer more beautiful sexier honey gun. Just one question, van yer new honey put food on the table better than yer old gal could ?

Poor old thing.

There is nothing wrong with your .270 Win. and a good 130 gr. bullet, here in Idaho I have a couple friends that have killed more elk than anybody I know use a .270 Win and a good 130 gr. bullet, I handload for myself, 2 of my sons, one grandson, and one daughter-in-law all have killed elk with a .270 Win and a 130 gr. bullet. The bullet I use and one of my sons uses is the Speer 130 gr. SPBT, he has killed 15 or so elk with this bullet as well as the 130 gr. Win. PP.

Do you have a problem with the slower twist rate that they use for their 30s?

My first new rifle was a 270 and I had to reload for accuracy with it, which is still what I have to do with my higher twist rate guns, so no I have no problem in using my 270. Remember that a high twist rate does not automatically mean high accuracy. I can't be a hypocrite though, I have many rifles, so go for it! I love em all.

You may want to consider the Weatherby Mark V Accumark Rifle. My hunting Buddy has one in 30 -06 and has taken Moose with it. The heavier S/S Barrel #3 taper, adds some weight and make the rifle mild to shoot in that caliber. The same excellent rifle in chambered .300 Win Mag would also make good all around Big Game Rifle for a non handloader. A bit less powerful than the 300 Weatherby Mag or the 300 RUM, but still a very good all around big game round. Both of these Cartridge's have withstood the test of time. You can still buy Winchester and Remington ammo of course, but Great High Grade ammo is available from Nosler , Federal and Hornady for either caliber. New High performance Bullets enhance the ability for either of these cartridge's to take game better than ever before. Ammo for both calibers are generally, ( Usually ) available in most Outdoor stores and Guns shops, and even some Walmart's. So many new , great big game rounds have become available in that past 5 to 10 years, but there is something to be said for old dependable Work Horses that have taken game for decades. Just M.H.O . Good luck on your search

Last edited:
I'm not a 300 prc fan boy. But I'll give you my experience with it. Bergara. 24" bbl with their brake. Boringly accurate with Hornady box ammo. Makes 800 yard shots to easy. My 11 year old son and my wife shoots it with ease. I'm extremely impressed with the efficiency of the brake. And before the rona crisis hit, I was buying Hornady 212 eldx box ammo for 38$ a box that prints 4" groups at 800.
Which Bergara model?