Elk Rifle Input Needed

My everything rifle is a 280AI. I handload, so ammo availability isn't of a concern, but the cartridge speaks for itself. It's picking up steam, too. You can save some money and rebarrel your current rifle (and get a new, lighter stock) or there are fantastic factory options available in it. Browning makes some x-bolts in it, Christensen makes a great lightweight option, and if you want top-of-the-line, Nosler's new M21 is chambered in it and you can probably get one under 2k off gunbroker or wherever. just my $0.02

IMO, your story is more of a need for a new toy as your 270 will get the job done out here, all day long. Use a tough bullet like a 150 or 160gn partition, a mono or other, and you'll kill elk with an accurate shot. As to the new toy, I love my Tikka T3 lite in 300wsm. No brake needed, only replacing the hard rubber stock recoil pad with Limbsaver #10011. It's a pleasure to shoot and easy to reload for. Good luck with your choice.
Do you have a problem with the slower twist rate that they use for their 30s?

I've beaten to the punch by those who said to get a lightweight composite stock for your existing .270, which with 150 Partitions or another premium bullet factory load is fine for elk. That solves the weight issue.
So on to scopes - what scope is on it now? You don't need anything more than a 3x9 for elk hunting. If your current scope is a good one in that range, you're good to go.

If you have the bug for a whole new rig, and the money to spend on it (versus buying a bunch of premium ammo and a lightweight stock for your .270 instead!) Then by all means go for it.

Just my dos centavos,
Rex

Another opinion

I had been reading reviews and articles on the springfield waypoint and had nearly made up my mind that's what I should get as a new elk rifle. However trying to locate one is a greater challenge (unless you are a gun magazine) The search led me to Seekins PH2 which was available and I am extremely happy with it. Best rifle for the buck. I went with the 6.5 PRC with will work fine for elk and will also be fine with whitetail.

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper
Trapper, the .270 will work just fine as an elk rifle for shots 400 yds. or less. I have taken a half dozen elk with my .270 using 150 gr. bullets. The last few years I have switched to a .300 Win mag. because of the extra ft. pounds of energy it provides. It has proved to be very effective on elk, however it does have more recoil. I have friends that shoot 338 Win. mags but that is overkill for elk sized game and has even more recoil. The 7mm Rem. Mag is also a popular and excellent elk rifle here in Montana. As for scopes, my favorite is the Vortex Viper PST 5x25 power. It is a quality scope that is in the mid-price range and will handle shots from close range to as far as you want to shoot. Also you should consider a rangefinder that will calculate bullet drop for up hill or down hill shots. Hope this helps.

I like the 270, but my current 270 is too heavy and bulky for mountain hunting. It is a wood laminate with a thumb hole stock.

I have started to read about the 28 Nosler. Any input on that?
The 28 is awesome. I have been shooting one for a couple years now and it's a killer for sure

Since you are not a reloader I would stick to 7mm Mag, 30-06, 300 win mag. At some point or another you should be able to find ammo for those cartridges. Keep an eye on the classifieds here or Rokslide and one will pop up sooner or later. You coule also buy a Sako, Weatherby or Christensen Arms or Seekins and do just fine killing elk. A leupold VX-5 with a CDS turret should have you hitting 10 inch vitals out to 500 yds with some practice. My hunting buddy shoots his 300 Weatherby out to 750 yds with pretty good accuracy with a factory rifle and factory ammo. I'd go 300 win mag with threaded barrel. I might also add there's plenty of 6.8 Western ammo on Gunbroker righy now. Wouldn't be a bad option in a Browning x bolt. Good luck

Last edited:
you can kill an elk with a .223 but think about this ,on the last day of the hunt you see a really great elk with a less than a great shot next to posted land. you need a .338 of some type not some 6.5 something.

Do not know what your weight limit is but 8lbs is not all that hard to carry. I have used 338's, 270's and 06's for Elk. They all work but a light weight 338 is going to be very stout, even with a muzzle break. The 06 and 270 or even a 7mm light weight would be the ticket for light weight. I now use a 7mm mag Christensen Mesa for my elk work. It comes in at 8.5 lbs total with muzzle brake and shoots extremely good. 3/4 @ 200 consistently, i will take that any day. Oh, it will not break the bank either. Goog luck on your quest. Just for info i am 69 years young.

I would suggest get the rifle you want because this is the rifle you will usually end up with. If you purchase the rifle you want, it will be the rifle you will shoot more. It is very important to shoot the rifle a lot and get comfortable shooting the rifle at different distances. Learn how the scope on the rifle works and become familiar with adjusting the scope. The accuracy in shooting will increase once you learn the rifle and scope capabilities.
Other words, read and listen to what other people suggestions are to draw a conclusion but get what you want in a rifle and scope. You will be happier and will not be second guessing yourself.
I do shoot the Cooper Rifles and they are very accurate but are heavier rifles. I do have a Kimber lightweight mountain rifle in a 300 WM and shoot my first bull elk with it. The Kimber is excellent rifle for caring but you need to get use to the recoil being a lightweight rifle. This is the rifle of choice for caring a long distance over the Cooper.
Good Luck

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper
Fellow Georgian here, where are you located?

:D 30-06! :D

Ammo is more readily available.

I live in Wyoming, and I am prepared for shots out to 1/4-mile = 440-yards.
But all of the 5 game animals I've taken, they were all within 300-yards by opportunity.
I used a 30-06 with 150-gr. Nosler Partition on deer, and 165-gr. Nosler Partitions on deer and elk.
180-grainers are good too.

Your .270 Winchester can do it too. - I'd use 150-grain Nosler Partitions though.
That Spitzer bullet has the same B.C. as a .308 168-gr. SMK HPBT!
B.C. = .465
A lot of elk are taken every year with a .270 Winchester!

These look available $41

GOOGLE MORE:

Last edited: