Elk Rifle Input Needed

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper

Hey Y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a great "big game" rifle. I have deer hunted in Georgia for the past 20 years and I am looking for another rifle to take to the mountains one day. I currently shoot a .270.

My father shoots a .308 and recently took a cow at 320 yards.

I really don't want to go with a big box brand of rifle. Ideally, I would like to buy from a company that stands behind their rifles and provides excellent customer support. I have had friends buy from Beretta, Winchester, etc and if they had any weapon problems, it took them 8 plus months to get their weapon back.

I'd like to keep the rifle under $2000. What caliber? Muzzle brake?

It seems like a lot of folks run some variation of the 300, but then I read a lot of posts that mention that caliber causing folks to develop bad habits and flinching.

Additionally, I need input on a scope that would handle the longer ranges without a problem. Do I need a scope with mil dot, BDC, etc? Turrets for range adjustments?

I am pretty green to all of this and honestly I am quite overwhelmed.

I appreciate your help!

Trapper
Try looking at COOPER Rifles, but may be over your budget. Kimber??? Also what part of GA do you reside in? I'm in Social Circle.

In my opinion only:
308 is mild recoil
30-06 stiffer recoil
300 win mag is stout recoil.
All of these can be tamed down with a muzzle brake.
Your question will bring a lot of opinions.
I use 7mm Remington mag. It's between the 30-06 and a 300 win mag.
Lots of factory 6.5mm cartridges like 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creedmore.
You'll need to do some online research to figure all this out, shot distances, etc. Lots to consider.

I read this earlier and wasn't gonna respond but the more I think about the more I want too . Some will agree and a lot won't . For a rifle that I would plan on using for elk which is what the title says I'd start at 338 . And yes I know there are truckloads killed every day with the blah blah blah creed whatever or the 270 and a 243 . Not by no means am I saying it can't be done . And yes a 300 win mag is absolutely awesome for this kind of hunting but why not step up your game and get a bigger hammer. I found a very lightly used 338 win mag several years back in a gun shop and bought it just to go elk hunting with . Haven't got to use it on elk yet but have killed a few Wv whitetails with it just to get a feel for it .
I believe that if you practice with dry firing and live firing you can learn to control or eliminate flinch. When I was younger I was not recoil tolerant . It took several summers of shooting weekly to get to where I am . But it can be done just takes practice. And or put a muzzle brake on it .

I read this earlier and wasn't gonna respond but the more I think about the more I want too . Some will agree and a lot won't . For a rifle that I would plan on using for elk which is what the title says I'd start at 338 . And yes I know there are truckloads killed every day with the blah blah blah creed whatever or the 270 and a 243 . Not by no means am I saying it can't be done . And yes a 300 win mag is absolutely awesome for this kind of hunting but why not step up your game and get a bigger hammer. I found a very lightly used 338 win mag several years back in a gun shop and bought it just to go elk hunting with . Haven't got to use it on elk yet but have killed a few Wv whitetails with it just to get a feel for it .
I believe that if you practice with dry firing and live firing you can learn to control or eliminate flinch. When I was younger I was not recoil tolerant . It took several summers of shooting weekly to get to where I am . But it can be done just takes practice. And or put a muzzle brake on it .
How many elk have you killed?