elk/mule deer loads for 243???

I grew up using the .243 and I've taken many Muledeer bucks using a 85g Hunting Nosler Ballistic Tip., However knowing what I know now a 100g would and is my minimum for the .243 for Muledeer and Cow Elk.

I actually have 2 .243s, 1 is a .243 Win, it's a Remington 700 VLS and it is my dedicated varmit rifle. I used it one year to hunt just to prove a point and it did very well. I did use a 95g bullet and it too a buck cleanly. The other is a .243 Ackley Improved and it is a Ruger M77MKII and it has a 22" bbl. It is a light weight rifle and I have it specifically to use to start my own children hunting and shooting. As I've had it for several years, it has of course gone hunting. One season with me and been used by friends and family who didn't have a rifle. It so far has accounted for 4 bucks and 1 doe. I load 100g Sierra Gamekings for it.

While 85g Barnes TSX are good bullets, I opt for heavy for caliber bullets when going for Elk. The Partition and even a Sierra Gameking are both good choices for an Elk Bullet. I would also say that any 100g Bullet placed in the right spot, (heart or Lungs) will cleanly kill a elk. As stated before, Shot placement and confidence are key to success with a .243Win. I have the .243 over any other Cartridge for my children because of the same reason , my Boys are all small and Marksmanship always trumps a big bullet anyday. I want them to be able to hit what they are after and the This is where the .243 Shines.

I wish your daughter the best of luck for her up coming hunt. She'll do great. Make sure you post some photos!

Dan

I'd go with the 95 or 100 gr. Nosler Partition or the 90gr. Nosler E-tip. Any of those three would work for you and would work very well. I've shot one elk with my 6mm and 100 gr. Partition, and my son took his first elk last year, a nice cow, at 350 yards with one 90 gr. E-tip out of his 6mm Remington. His cow maybe went 25 yards before she tipped over. She should do just fine and I wish her the best of luck on her hunt.

Out here in Nebraska we have what is called the slow elk (read hereford cow) I have only shot a few but we have used the 80 grn gmx bullet from hornaday and had excellent luck. It will crumple our mule deer and just straight flattens the whitetails. Good luck!

6mm Remington 90 gr. Nosler E-tip @ 3160 fps, 350 yards, one shot!

013-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.