Elk moving back up

Hespco

I live at 7630' in SW Colorado. The back boundary of my property is Ute Indian reservation. The elk move thru my place depending on snow in Dec & Jan to the lower elevations on the res.
March elk 024.JPG
In the spring depending on the amount of snow still on the ground the elk move back thru my place heading back to higher ground. Early this morning I spotted the first small ( maybe 15 to 20 ) herd moving back up. Not as many as past years but some. Temp low 50's. 90% of the snow gone from my place. Sorry about the picture clarity but the picture was taken under low light early this morning. Herd about 200yds from house.

Last edited:
Was in Eagle Co this weekend and talked to some locals who said the same thing...….one guy had a herd of 150 elk in his fields most of the winter near Eagle, and they were gone on Saturday, moving back up the mountain. It was 58 degrees and sunny on Fri and Sat, with south facing slopes melting rapidly.

A few more elk moving thru today. Since there is a plentiful supply of native grasses & water this herd has been lingering around for a few hours.
March 10 th elk 009.JPG

It's that time of year. I manage a ranch near Glenwood Springs CO. I've got them back this week. There are usually 100-150 that hang around until they calve out. With all the snow last year I had them most of June. Knocked hell out of my hay.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.