Elk Meat

powermax

going on my first elk hunt this fall, if i get lucky enough to harvest a bull, what are some must do things to make with the meat?
save all the roasts, steaks, tender loin and the rest burger?

is the meat similar taste to beef?

going on my first elk hunt this fall, if i get lucky enough to harvest a bull, what are some must do things to make with the meat?
save all the roasts, steaks, tender loin and the rest burger?

is the meat similar taste to beef?
Congrats on the elk hunt and the positive thinking! Elk definitely has its own delicious flavor. I wouldnt say it tastes like beef at all.

What you do with it depends on what you like. What you described is similar to what i do, but i like roasts. Some people dont. The only other thing i would recommend is canned elk. I cube quality cuts that i consider too tough for steak and then pressure can it with salt, peppercorn,and a little olive oil. Makes Fantastic 5 minute meals. Sandwiches, quesedillas,tacos,burritos,or slightly longer meals like stroganoff or mashed potatoes and gravy. Plus it will keep for a year with no refrigeration

Best wishes with the hunt

Steak the hinds, grind the fronts, backstraps cut into 4 or 5 nice roasts each. Leave tenderloins whole to throw on the grill or smoker.
4 bone roast out of the neck.
Elk is a lean rich meat. I add 15% pork butt to the grind.
Depending on the month you hunt, get it skinned and quartered fast as you can and cooling. Rutting bulls (sept/early oct) can be hard to make good. Bulls on the snow without a chase or bad hit are excellent fare is taken care of.

I am fortunate to have an entire family - 3 sons, and a lovely wife that has eaten very little other than game meat for the past 2 decades. They feel let down when we have to eat "regular meat." 😜

My wife still claims that elk is the "Cadillac" of meats, with a flavor surpassing beef. As the other posters have shared above, elk has a unique flavor that is all it's own.

One suggestion that I would add to all of the above is that you do not waste elk meat by turning it into sausage. We regularly make Italian, breakfast, and chorizo sausage out of the deer that we harvest - but never the elk!

The only way i would cut roasts out of backstraps would be to steak them after grilling/smoking. Backstrap makes great steaks. I typically butterfly them. Hind quarters make good roasts with a few cuts of steak in there. Sorry to disagree w/ monster toms