Elk hunting with 45/70

My go to rifle bear load is 350gr or 405 Corbon BC Flat Point @ 1800 fps & 2520 ft lbs Energy from Marlin Guide Gun with red dot optic. Bullet is not a speed demon but it keeps on digging in and will bust through shoulders if your shot is off. Nothing got away after hit with that load. Real thumper ! Buffalo Bore good also. Have never hunted elk but believe 45-70 will do well. Give Corbon a call they are very informative and will be give you good advice.
Good luck hunting.

Never used mine for elk but my Guide Gun loaded with H4198 and 300 gr Hornady HPs have poleaxed a few PA black bear. That round hits with a lot of authority and I don't think an elk would like it very much. I call that "little" gun Thor's hammer. The 350 gr Hornady FTX bullets previously mentioned by another member I shot out of it were not as accurate as the 300 gr HPs.

I've had my Marlin Guide Gun, for about 6 years, but, simply have been too busy to work with it. Cast some bullets 2+ years ago....then did nothing! Within the past 2 weeks, I finally got started on powder coating, sizing, loading, and shooting! Bullet is cast from wheel weights, in an Accurate Molds mold, a 430 grain FNWC!

I probably "won't" be elk hunting with it, unless I end-up hunting some thick stuff, but, it's nice to know that the rifle/ load is capable!

RANGE REPORT..... Yesterday's Shooting

Shot the first 5 rounds @50 yards, just to get on paper, check guesstimated pressures, and fire the first 2 or 3 less than desirable rounds that were the "test subjects" getting my seating and crimp proper.

Loaded 5 more rounds, adding one grain more powder than the original 5 rounds. Went to my bench, with target @100 yards, shooting over the chrono.

First shot landed high and right, made a scope adjustment, and fired the remaining 4 rounds. Didn't allow barrel to cool between shots.....less than 3 minutes between rounds.

Overall, at this point ....pretty pleased! Recoil pretty tame, pressure appears mild, rounds cycled very cleanly, group was pretty good (bordering on real good), and velocity acceptable! memtb

mTCCM8Ol.jpg

I've had my Marlin Guide Gun, for about 6 years, but, simply have been too busy to work with it. Cast some bullets 2+ years ago....then did nothing! Within the past 2 weeks, I finally got started on powder coating, sizing, loading, and shooting! Bullet is cast from wheel weights, in an Accurate Molds mold, a 430 grain FNWC!

I probably "won't" be elk hunting with it, unless I end-up hunting some thick stuff, but, it's nice to know that the rifle/ load is capable!

Shot the first 5 rounds @50 yards, just to get on paper, check guesstimated pressures, and fire the first 2 or 3 less than desirable rounds that were the "test subjects" getting my seating and crimp proper.

Loaded 5 more rounds, adding one grain more powder than the original 5 rounds. Went to my bench, with target @100 yards, shooting over the chrono.

First shot landed high and right, made a scope adjustment, and fired the remaining 4 rounds. Didn't allow barrel to cool between shots.....less than 3 minutes between rounds.

Overall, at this point ....pretty pleased! Recoil pretty tame, pressure appears mild, rounds cycled very cleanly, group was pretty good (bordering on real good), and velocity acceptable! memtb

mTCCM8Ol.jpg

Lol elk, bear, deer within 200 yds brisket to butt DRT

mTCCM8Ol.jpg

Hello memtb ,

Very nice shooting !!

If I may, I would like to ask you a few questions about the bullets and powder that you are loading .

What Accurate Mold number are you using ? Is it a Gas-Check style of bullet ?

You said that you are casting with wheel weights . Have you checked the hardness of the finished bullets with a test gauge , and if so , what did they test on the Brinell Scale ?

What powder ( I am not asking for specific load data ) , primer , and brass are you using ?

I have casting equipment , wheel weights , .45-70 dies , and a custom mold that throws 498 gr. semi-spritzer shaped bullets that I use in my Shiloh Sharps Model 1874 BPCR with black powder .

I have a Marlin 1895 Guide gun that I am currently trying to work up loads using 405 gr. hard-cast flat nose , and 420 gr. gas-check hard cast flat nose bullets that I have purchased .
I am testing using H4198 and Varget powders , Fed 215 , and W-W brass , and started using data from Hodgdon website for Modern Lever Rifles . I have not yet chronographed any of my loads .

I do have access to scrap wheel weights to use for casting bullets .
I also have a Saeco Lead-Hardness Test gauge .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

DMP 25-06, I'll attempt to get a mold #, and get back to you with the data you requested. I can give you, the load data along with the "WARNING" if you like! memtb

DMP 25-06, I'll attempt to get a mold #, and get back to you with the data you requested. I can give you, the load data along with the "WARNING" if you like! memtb

memtb ,

Thank you for the quick response .
No , I don't need your specific load data , I was only asking the type of powder , primer , and brass that you are using . And if the bullet is hard-cast , with a gas-check .

Thank You ,
DMP2506

Great choice for any game under 250 yards. My favourite bullet is the 350 grain RN Hornady. I have shot a lot of game with this bullet, from 1200 fps on up, you will get full pass through length wise on moose, elk or bear. I used a 45-70 as my primary rifle shooting bear control for 2 decades. I won't say how many bears I shot in that time, no one that doesn't know me would believe it, but in all the bears I shot I never had to track one very far and I can count on one hand the number I used two rounds on. Try for a speed of about 1600 fps. Faster will not improve your kill speed, it is the big hole not hydrostatic shock that does the job, the slower loads are far nicer to shoot and you do get a much faster second shot recovery if you ever actually need it.

I use magnum primers in my 45-70 loads as it gives a much cleaner and full burn. For brass WW, powder, 3031, Varget and 4227 have all been great performers.

Bone stock Marlin 45-70 Guide gun made in 2015.

l1NNAA1l.jpg

JM 22" barrel Marlin 45-70 made around 1987

s2m3Sp6l.jpg

DMP 25-06, The mold is Accurate Mold # 46-430GV, a gas check bullet. I only recently (after a 25 year or so hiatus) started back into casting. I'm not a perfectionist, actually a little primitive, though I try to be a little particular.

I do hand-lap all of my long gun barrels (including my 14" Contender) whether they will be use for cast or conventional bullets.

I do not have a hardness tester. I use a pot and ladle pour method. These particular bullets were "cold water quenched"......something that I'd never prior to this casting session ( 2 years ago...I've been a little busy)! I also "quenched" them as they were removed from the powder coating process. The bullets were gas checked and sized to 0.459".

Components: Starline Nickel Brass, CCI #200's ( aged 30 years, I don't know if that helped :D), the bullets were seated/crimped to approximately 2.553"OAL., powder was RL 7.

I'm certainly "not" suggesting that my methods attributed to my seeming success, just the steps tis time. I think pure luck was heavily involved! Also, as a side note, shot with a 4 power scope!

I hope this may have been of some help! memtb

/QUOTE]
If its not a problem can I ask what powder and charge you're using. I've just casted a bunch of 405 gr bullets and will soon be powder coating them.

Clem, I'm using 43.0 grains of RL7, Starline Nickel brass, CCI standard primers. This appeared safe in my rifle.....obviously, you should approach these loads with caution! Good Luck with your endeavor! I hope your as lucky with yours as I was with mine. memtb

Clem, I'm using 43.0 grains of RL7, Starline Nickel brass, CCI standard primers. This appeared safe in my rifle.....obviously, you should approach these loads with caution! Good Luck with your endeavor! I hope your as lucky with yours as I was with mine. memtb
Thanks memtb. My current load that I've used to kill a few black bear here in PA is 51 gr of H4198 under a Hornady 300 gr HP. That is out of my Guide Gun. I want to use the 405s in my 1895SBL. Right now I'm shooting Barnes TSXs out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.