Elk hunting with 45/70

Lab rat

So I'm elk hunting in the jungles of the state of Oregon for Roosevelt elk where most of my hunting will be done in the timber with a distance of 100 yards I'm new to the 45/70 caliber so what's your thoughts good choice
For the people that have some experience with this cartridge what grain bullet would you recommend

Will primos killed an elk on video with a sharps several years ago. Look it up on YouTube if you get a chance was pretty cool. I have killed a few deer with mine. A winchester 300gr hollow point killed my first big deer ever when I was still in high school. Was found under the skin on the opposite side. I'd say 1894 is correct I'd even go as far as to say probably would not shoot a hollow point on a thick elk hide but just a soft point round nose in the 400 grain range should be excellent! I love my Buffalo gun but if I was going to go buy a short-range to medium range hammer. I'd also look at a 35 whelen.

i,ve shot a truck load with my 45-70,s, not a lot of tracking needed.

Attachments

• DSCN0417 (3).JPG
    DSCN0417 (3).JPG
    966 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCN0331 (2).JPG
    DSCN0331 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 541
  • DSCN0332 (2).JPG
    DSCN0332 (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 484
I have a friend who uses the 350 Hornady RN in his 45-70. I've read many good reports on the Speer 300 Hot cor too. funny, they started labeling that bullet a "Plinker". Its still a Hot Cor! ha

I don't have a lot of experience on game with my 45-70 but have found the hornady felx tips to blow up on 10L water jugs inside of 50 yards. The jug explodes with no exit and all you find is shrapenel. I now shoot 405 gr lead cast bullets with a big meplat (I think they actaully drop closer to 380 gr) that will still give good hydraulic shock and still penetrate. Not to open pandoras box but there are quite a few stories of guys who have had the flex tip bullets fail at close range. I have shot a small black bear with a 300 gr winchester ballistic siver tip at about 50 yards and it perferomed perfectly with a 2" exit wound after passing through the lungs. The bear went about 30 yards down hill.

From personal experience on Roosevelt's and black bear in coastal Oregon and Washington with a ruger #1 22" barrel and receiver peep sight.

300 hollow points of soft lead at 2450 fps grouped 3" at 200 yards and FLATTENED EVERYTHING they hit. Never recovered one.

405 grain wide meplat solids would destroy a shoulder AT BOTH ENDS of an 900 lb roosevelt. EXCELLENT FOR A TEXAS HOT SHOT ON A CAGEY ROOSEVELT THAT GOT THE DROP ON YOU UP CLOSE...

I SETTLED ON THE 300HP AT 2450 AS THE GUN SHOT BETTER THAN I COULD AND ZEROED AT 200 WAS NEVER OUTSIDE A 8" CIRCLE TO 250 YARDS

I use the 300g HP on deer and the 350g FP on elk. Both work well. I have also used the 400g Speer and it is also a good bullet. I'm loading the 400g Barnes Buster bullets for moose or bear this fall. If you don't want to load your own, I recommend one of the Garrett loadings using hard cast bullets. Check them out and be sure to look at their photo gallery of customer trophy.

I use the Hornady 250 Monoflex in my 450 Rigby & 458 Lott, a bit faster than the 45-70 to be fair

I use them to keep the projectile weight down to reduce recoil & increase velocity for flatter mid range performance

Being a solid copper projectile they hang together, give great penetration & amazing terminal performance

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.