Elk Hunting Scope

Ballfroguy

Trying to figure out which way I should go with my elk hunting rig. I currently have a 5-20 Monarch 3 and its great but I feel like it may be too much. Right now I feel confident in a 500 yard shot, I dont shoot often at those ranges but im capable when I do. I was thinking of selling the scope and going with a 3-9 powered leupold. I dont want 9 mag not to be enough and loose out on an elk bc I couldnt see it well. When I shot at 500 it I was at 12 power and never went further, also I do feel like 12 power for 500 is a bit much. We were shooting for groups with a perfect scenario shooting set up. I feel less shaky at 9 off of something than 12 power.

Trying to figure out which way I should go with my elk hunting rig. I currently have a 5-20 Monarch 3 and its great but I feel like it may be too much. Right now I feel confident in a 500 yard shot, I dont shoot often at those ranges but im capable when I do. I was thinking of selling the scope and going with a 3-9 powered leupold. I dont want 9 mag not to be enough and loose out on an elk bc I couldnt see it well. When I shot at 500 it I was at 12 power and never went further, also I do feel like 12 power for 500 is a bit much. We were shooting for groups with a perfect scenario shooting set up. I feel less shaky at 9 off of something than 12 power.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

My LRH scopes for elk are 4-20x50 and 5-25x50. IIWY, I'd keep the scope (if you really like it) and set the magnification at 9 if that's where you're comfortable at. It's better to have the magnification and don't need it, esp. for future longer range applications.

One of my rifles carries a 4-24X, another has a 5-25X and I have another rifle that will get a 4 1/2-30X. All of these have a 9X and a 12X if I want to limit myself.

I practice quick off hand dry fire shooting on 12X so when I go hunting and set them on the lowest power setting it looks like a wide screen TV. It also forces me to hold the rifle correctly in order to see targets quickly.

Well I may disappoint some of yall, I was able to get a Vari X-II 3-9x50 with a CDS dial already installed. I went and shot it at 500 yards and did exactly what I needed it to do.

I have went from shooting 6-18 and 4-16 back down to straight 12x, 3-9, and 4.5-14 leupolds. all with M1 turrets.

for some reason i just like them the way they are!

If I'm doing load development, shooting paper or steel targets I like the 6 - 18x but when I go lightweight for elk I switch over to the 2.5 - 8x w/ B&C reticle. For me on these hunts less is generally better. Anything that can go awry usually does.
Just my $.02.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts