Elk hunting in Montana?

The area is really dry except for real high and the bottoms, the middle ground where they would be hanging out hardly grew any grass. All the roads getting closed makes corridors for the elk to move down and you really can't cut them of so at the signs of any pressure they move down. The bow hunters have started running up into the mountains and that is all it takes, it used to be we could bow hunt our area and maybe see one other hunter but most of the time it was just us but last year it was a parking lot out there and on top of that guys started running around 2 weeks early "scouting" for rifle season.

you from around the Dillon area?

Look at my Facebook link! Montana in the area where I live and used to guide is the land of used to be! 10 years ago I could have set you up with the hunt of a life time. If you want a big (over 330) bull I would say do not be fooled by any outfitter in Park County MT.

Hank, you have a lot of awesome elk pics on your FB page! Nice job!!!

It's all a lie, there is nothing here in Montana. Montana sucks!

you from around the Dillon area?

Yep, the hunting is really going to change this year there is almost zero access to public lands south of Dillon unless you know someone but even then it's rough. There are hundreds of section of BLM that is now land locked by only a small sections of road across private land, some of the roads follow trails that the Indian bands used to travel through on. It wouldn't burn so hard the but land owners are leasing out the land to one outfitter that uses the private land to access the BLM and Forest land to hunt and they drive their trucks up there and drive all over, that's kinda a burr!!!!!!!!

Yep, the hunting is really going to change this year there is almost zero access to public lands south of Dillon unless you know someone but even then it's rough. There are hundreds of section of BLM that is now land locked by only a small sections of road across private land, some of the roads follow trails that the Indian bands used to travel through on. It wouldn't burn so hard the but land owners are leasing out the land to one outfitter that uses the private land to access the BLM and Forest land to hunt and they drive their trucks up there and drive all over, that's kinda a burr!!!!!!!!

how about Black tail rd. by the MATADOR RANCH.And what about around BOZEMAN ?

I live and hunt in Wyoming but I know that Montana produces great bulls every year. If you plan on hunting later on in the season try and get as close to the park as you can, the migrating elk get into huge herds and you can have you pick of the bunch

I live and hunt in Wyoming but I know that Montana produces great bulls every year. If you plan on hunting later on in the season try and get as close to the park as you can, the migrating elk get into huge herds and you can have you pick of the bunch
I used to make my fall and winter living off the migrating Yellowstone park elk herds. The Northern Yellowstone elk herd at last count was 4200ish with an average of 10 bulls (including spikes) per hundred cows or less in the Montana Fish and Game elk count. So if you include spike bulls in the 420 bull elk we have left, this means no more then 25% of the 420 bulls are possibly mature bulls. Oh, and this year you had to apply for a permit to hunt this area (Montana 313) during general season. We do not need more elk hunters we need help in the form of wolf hunters, in droves! We needed help 10 years ago! But if you are gettin itchy, Sept 15 it opens for wolf and elk with a rifle in Montana area 316. Just a small horse ride away is some of the most beautiful country in the world, and you get to look at a lot of it these days before you see an elk.

I used to make my fall and winter living off the migrating Yellowstone park elk herds. The Northern Yellowstone elk herd at last count was 4200ish with an average of 10 bulls (including spikes) per hundred cows or less in the Montana Fish and Game elk count. So if you include spis from bulls in the 420 bull elk we have left, this means no more then 25% of the 420 bulls are possibly mature bulls. Oh, and this year you had to apply for a permit to hunt this area (Montana 313) during general season. We do not need more elk hunters we need help in the form of wolf hunters, in droves! We needed help 10 years ago! But if you are gettin itchy, Sept 15 it opens for wolf and elk with a rifle in Montana area 316. Just a small horse ride away is some of the most beautiful country in the world, and you get to look at a lot of it these days before you see an elk.

How about the elk in Idaho, have the wolves cut the elk herd there?i was told 2 yrs ago by some guys from Idaho that they had few elk left.

Certain areas in Idaho yes and certain other no, but the wolf is a major problem

From the horses mouth or something like that
http://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/article_639aacda-1232-11df-87ef-001cc4c03286.html

POCATELLO — The Idaho Fish and Game commissioner for the Southeast Region said Idaho's burgeoning wolf population has adversely affected elk numbers and impacted revenue received from out-of-state hunters.
Pocatellan Randy Budge, speaking at the Rotary club Thursday, walked the crowd through the history of wolf reintroduction in the Northern Rockies and related data regarding predation, some of which brought gasps from the audience.
Budge noted the initial goals of reintroduction were 10 breeding pairs and 100 wolves in Idaho. Wolf populations have grown at 20-25 percent a year and now number approximately 85 packs, with 1,000 wolves, which he indicated to be a conservative estimate.
"Wolves have been very productive," Budge said.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.