elk hunting diy

bretterath

Im starting early researching for a diy public land elk hunt next year and was looking for some info on states to go and what state has good elk herds and numbers. I'm will be gun hunting them, i would pay for some land access for a better shot at a better chance of harvesting a bull. Are the odds for killing a respectable bull on public land hard to do. Im willing to put on lots of miles and hard work to be succcessful in this hunt. Any info on this would be awesome.

Colorado is known as having the largest number of Elk in the west. Since we have a lot of public lands, it would be a pretty good bet for an elk hunt. Go the Colorado Division of Wildlife, and you can download the statistics for every prior year. There you can find the quotas they create based on the herd sizes. If you use this information, you can be pretty certain of hunting in an area that has a large herd. However if your looking for a big bull, that is a different story...

To have a reasonable opportunity at a big bull, you'll need several preference points to draw a good limited quota area that is known to hold the big ones. You could always get lucky on a general otc tag; someone always does. But, more than likely, it will take a long time to get into a quality hunting area. I guess it depends how big of a bull you want also.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.