Elk hunt sleeping bag...what would you do?

Longshotjames

Ive got a $750 budget to get a really warm sleeping bag say late season Colorado -20f bag. It would mainly be used in base camp but being able to pack it to the high country would be a bonus.

What would you get?
James

The question would be, do you want negative 20 to be the comfort rating or extreme?

If it's comfort you want, then you really need to be looking at -40 degree bags or so.
Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, these would be the premium no BS will work option, but are a grand or so.

I was going to go with the Western Mountaineering Cypress expedition weight, this is -30, then have them overfill.
I have decided I hate being in a burrito enough that I've changed that, I'm going to go with an enlightened equipment -10 quilt with another, likely 10 degree quilt. They note that should be good to about -70, but that's extreme rating, given quilt... I think it'll get me to -30 ok.

One of their 0 degree and a 30 degree they note would be about -40, that's extreme rating again, but would give you two separate quilts that should work from that -20 to about as warm as you'll ever hunt given you can open that 30 degree up fully into a quilt and not worry about cooking inside a burrito.

None of my options likely fit your $750, in fact, for me, all my options will be about $1300-$1500.

But that kind of cold, it's tough to gamble on unknown China or the like quality, if you do, just be aware of that and have good backup, like extreme cold down garments or something.

Ive got a $750 budget to get a really warm sleeping bag say late season Colorado -20f bag. It would mainly be used in base camp but being able to pack it to the high country would be a bonus.

What would you get?
James
Research what Mountain Climbers would use (down - light and warm). You could also look at two piece to give you better option for different temp.

I've got a Feathered Friends Wigeon -10 bag. It fits your budget. I've packed it before and used it around 5 degrees and I was warm. I have their +10 Lark and have been chilled in the upper teens.

If you want to ensure your warmth down to -20 you'd better get the Ptarmigan -25 which is $50 over your budget. You'd be a very edge of comfortable if it did get to -20. I'd personally get the Snow Goose -40 but that's way over your budget.

I second the high R rated pad. You'll need that to get to the ratings whether is FF or WM both of which are the best you can buy.

Thanks guys, I was looking for brands to research! I was figuring to have a bag rated -20 extreme so Id be comfy in the teens or single digits.

I concur about the insulated pad. Ive slipped off my pad in my sleep and instantly knew part of me touched the ground!!!! ICE

So far ive got Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Enlighted Equipment and sew my own from an elk hide(ha). Any other brands I need to know about?

Sea to Summit makes great stuff as well. I've done the Iditarod Trail Invitational (human powered) a couple of times and have used their Comfort Plus insulated pad and the -40 Alpine Down winter sleeping bag. The pad has two air chambers, which is a requirement for any inflatable pad for me (in case you get a hole in one). I've slept out on the snow at -30 in that setup and been fine. The bag has a neck baffle that keeps your body heat down in the bag if you feel like opening the hood up a bit. And the opening of the hood is directly over your face, so your breath (and condensation) make it outside the bag and don't build up inside. Depending on the number of days you're out and the temps, moisture buildup in the bag (and all your gear for that matter) can become an issue.

What would you get?
James
Where exactly in Colorado are you hoping or planning to hunt? Are you using an outfitter for your base camp, etc. or DIY? Will you be sleeping on cots at base camp? Will this be a once in a lifetime hunt or are you just getting into elk hunting? What max elevation do you expect to hunt? If you pack it to the high country will this be on your back or the back of a horse?

Asking specific questions because I live at 9200 feet and hunt elk from the first day of archery until the last day of private land cow season which is January 31st. The rest of the year I am scouting elk from 6000 feet to 12,000 feet. After hunting/scouting elk this way every year for 34 years, I truly have been there and done that as have many people who live for elk hunting! lol Your bag may not be as important as your pad or boots.

Comment here or PM me. I am sure many others will be happy to assist as well.