Elk Habits if Pushed due to Light Hunting Pressure?

make sure you recheck your zero and drops, changing from 900 to 11000 might cause you some issues if you end up shooting longer ranges. might pick up a few cans of O2 and keep hydrated, altitude sickness can ruin your hunt really quickly.

Yep, planning to find a place to test a few shots at elevation while killing a few days in town prior to the hunt.

What are these cans of O2 you speak of? Never heard of that before. Are they typically for use in treating altitude sickness? Or for recovering while back in camp? Or do you use them while hiking to make breathing easier? Sounds brilliant, but how much use/benefit does one can give you?

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SUEVHU/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Well you must be from around Gaylord then .
I'm from.the West Branch area years ago .
Look up a place in Lake City on the west side . They have up to 1000 yrds .not sure what the skinny on it is . We should keep in touch I'm headed back to Michigan here shortly . I have some places to get you set up for some long range . It's not what I'm shooting here in Montana but will help you out !
I hit my personal best at 3027 yards this year on steel .
I'm sure your set up with the 140 gr. In your prc . We have a few guys that shot with us on the one mile milk jug Challenge here awhile back . They are an amazing cartridge. You just need practice !
Rum Man

What are these cans of O2 you speak of? Never heard of that before. Are they typically for use in treating altitude sickness? Or for recovering while back in camp? Or do you use them while hiking to make breathing easier? Sounds brilliant, but how much use/benefit does one can give you?

Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SUEVHU/?tag=lrhmag19-20
yes, any brand would suffice-- problem with altitude/sickness is that your body cant get enough oxygen, so by breathing pure (or almost pure) oxygen, your body can increase its oxygen content which reduces the severity of altitude sickness-- you can use it any time, walking, sitting, whatever -- I honestly have no clue how much benefit you get from one can-- that would depend on how your body handles it and how much it can take in-- each person is going to be different on how their body handles it --- as an added benefit, if used while hiking, it can also reduce the "muscle burn"

Altitude sickness. Altitude sickness, the mildest form being acute mountain sickness (AMS), is the negative health effect of high altitude, caused by rapid exposure to low amounts of oxygen at high elevation. Symptoms may include headaches, vomiting, tiredness, trouble sleeping, and dizziness.

When oxygen to our muscles is limited, our body can't keep up with breaking down the hydrogen ions fast enough. The buildup of hydrogen ions makes the environment acidic causing our muscles to burn.

Well you must be from around Gaylord then .
I'm from.the West Branch area years ago .
Look up a place in Lake City on the west side . They have up to 1000 yrds .not sure what the skinny on it is . We should keep in touch I'm headed back to Michigan here shortly . I have some places to get you set up for some long range . It's not what I'm shooting here in Montana but will help you out !
I hit my personal best at 3027 yards this year on steel .
I'm sure your set up with the 140 gr. In your prc . We have a few guys that shot with us on the one mile milk jug Challenge here awhile back . They are an amazing cartridge. You just need practice !
Rum Man

I'm more in the SE, about an hour NW of Detroit. I'm willing to drive though, her parents are up in Oscoda, and the other weekend I spent a day driving around Huron-Manistee National Forest land looking for a clearing where I could shoot 400-500yd. Alas, it was all trees and brush - I was hoping for a recent clear-cut but didn't find one.

There are a few ranges around, but most are a members-only type thing, and it seems to be an ordeal to obtain a membership.

I'll send you a PM!

The Colorado Parks and Wildlife website has a resource called "Hunting Atlas". Spend some time with it because it has a bunch of information available. It'll show you where the summer and winter concentrations are located and where the migration corridor runs for Elk.

If it were me I'd be getting the exact coordinates of the camp and then spend hours on Google Earth looking for likely spots to locate elk or to glass them from, really focusing on things that are within reach. I'd migrate promising looking spots into my GPS. I still do this for areas I've been hunting for decades. Is the outfitter going to pack your animal out from your camp or from where you shoot it?

yes, any brand would suffice-- problem with altitude/sickness is that your body cant get enough oxygen, so by breathing pure (or almost pure) oxygen, your body can increase its oxygen content which reduces the severity of altitude sickness-- you can use it any time, walking, sitting, whatever -- I honestly have no clue how much benefit you get from one can-- that would depend on how your body handles it and how much it can take in-- each person is going to be different on how their body handles it --- as an added benefit, if used while hiking, it can also reduce the "muscle burn"

Altitude sickness. Altitude sickness, the mildest form being acute mountain sickness (AMS), is the negative health effect of high altitude, caused by rapid exposure to low amounts of oxygen at high elevation. Symptoms may include headaches, vomiting, tiredness, trouble sleeping, and dizziness.

When oxygen to our muscles is limited, our body can't keep up with breaking down the hydrogen ions fast enough. The buildup of hydrogen ions makes the environment acidic causing our muscles to burn.

Go to your doctor and get a prescription for Prednisone if you are concerned about the effects of altitude sickness. It might make your nose run, but I used it for Mt. Whitney without acclimation and was just fine. Oxygen tanks are going to be extra weight/bulk and way overkill for anything we have in the lower 48.

Good advice on doing the research via Google Maps, onx, GAIA, CPW atlas. You clearly aren't hunting units 1,2 any in that NW corner as they have no 11 or 12000ft elevations. 61 and 76, as one said even if you are in phenomenal shape, coming from flatland(east) the Rockies will take the wind out of you for at least a couple days. If only 3 hunters have been there before you, may not make much diff, but that will depend on how much they got around, where the elk were and where they went. There is a bit of luck with elk hunting like all hunting. If we get a weird snowstorm, which can and has happened, it will take more than 2ft to push Bulls down and I assume you don't care if the cows and calves leave or not? Course if the rut is late and we get the snow, where the cows go the big boys go. You will have an awesome time, best of luck!

No doctor is prescribing prednisone without good reason. That stuff is nasty.
and Elk will run to the next county if pressured. They don't stop & look back like white tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.