Elk Habits if Pushed due to Light Hunting Pressure?

I don't know if I read all of this.

Does anybody use or recommend the altitude training masks? Some of them have several levels of adjustability so you can start out easy and then make things more difficult.

Do they help, do they help a lot, seems like it may be a great tool to use while a guy is out training with his backpack on...

What are the dates for your tag?
Elevation for both areas?
Temperature in both areas during that i
Proximity of each to private land?
Brush or tree cover for each?
Did you talk to other folk who used this guide?

I also am curious why you chose this particular outfitter..? Is he the only one that services that hunting area? Did he come highly recommended from previous "drop camp" hunters? Does he report a high success rate for his hunters? What???
I'd be asking him why he selected that particular camp site for you..? Is it because that's where the elk will likely be during your hunt, or because its the best flat spot for a camp, or perhaps its the easiest place to get his horse pack string into, so he can get back out to pick up another set of hunters?? I'd also have a clear understanding with him about who "packs out the elk to camp". When I have done these kinds of hunts, I always confirm that the outfitter brings in his horses to pack out meat from the kill site. Typically, the outfitter will provide a satellite phone to contact him when a kill is made, and he'll give instructions on how to field dress and prep the meat for pick up. I can assure you its no fun trying to pack meat (even on a pack frame) up steep slopes at 10-12k feet!!
Ask him if he's doing drop camps for any of the previous groups of hunters for that area: ie, archery, muzzeloader, and/or early rifle, and where he's dropping them (same camp or other)? Since you will be essentially the fourth group of hunters in the area, the elk will be on alert and skittish, if they're even still in the drainage. It doesn't take much to disturb elk from their normal habitat, such as one might expect from three groups of hunters in the three or four previous weeks along with the smells and sounds from their campsites. Also, ask him about the success of the previous three groups before you, and where they saw the elk (especially the early rifle guys). And also, you will be there during a normal elk behavior transition from the rut of mid-late September to dispersal during early-late Oct. Big bulls that were bugling readily during the archery and ML seasons will likely be bugle-shy, alone and nocturnal (ie, not with the cows) when you're there. So, use a cow call sparingly just to locate elk, then glass those areas intently. Again, ask your outfitter these questions. Consider another guide if you're not satisfied with the answers. And, best of luck to you and your dad.

I can say this about elk regardless of pressure... if they are still there you will know it by sign or by sound. I've heard cows chirping after dark in a heavily hunted public area where most thought there were no elk around and few were being harvested. They are there but just holed up. As someone being drop camped, use the remoteness to your advantage, find a good, dark N facing drainage that has shown recent sign and work it. Many times they will pop out from their N beds to the S side, just before dark.

yes, any brand would suffice-- problem with altitude/sickness is that your body cant get enough oxygen, so by breathing pure (or almost pure) oxygen, your body can increase its oxygen content which reduces the severity of altitude sickness-- you can use it any time, walking, sitting, whatever -- I honestly have no clue how much benefit you get from one can-- that would depend on how your body handles it and how much it can take in-- each person is going to be different on how their body handles it --- as an added benefit, if used while hiking, it can also reduce the "muscle burn"

Altitude sickness. Altitude sickness, the mildest form being acute mountain sickness (AMS), is the negative health effect of high altitude, caused by rapid exposure to low amounts of oxygen at high elevation. Symptoms may include headaches, vomiting, tiredness, trouble sleeping, and dizziness.

When oxygen to our muscles is limited, our body can't keep up with breaking down the hydrogen ions fast enough. The buildup of hydrogen ions makes the environment acidic causing our muscles to burn.
Had that once on backpacking trip in the Rockies. Mild case but took 3 days to acclimate. No fun

I know in the right circumstances elk are capable of moving up to 50 miles in a day. I also know that as elk migrate out of an area, others move in. When pressured or when hot outside they like deep timbered holes and North slopes to bed on but move to Southern slopes to feed in late afternoon until early morning in low pressured areas I hunt in. Because of the high wolf population here in Idaho, the elk have moved above tree lines to escape them but I don't think that's the case in Colorado.
Use a cow call and keep on the look out and also listen for noise as a bull makes noise when you heat one up.
Get the first one in your sight. The next hunt usually comes easier to get one than your first.

I've lived here on CO since I was 5... long ago. Guided for 38 years,outfitted for 9. This and working ranches has given me great access to some great hunting. The vast majority of my elk have come in the 8-9000' zone, where the quakies are, and up to 10K where the timber starts. I would stay with the lower camp. 10-12K' are just numbers until you get there. It will kick your backside! I found the majority of nonresident hunters either move too much, sometimes wadeing into bedding areas in the middle of the day, or sit in empty country with zero fresh sign. There's a reason for the old saying 10% of the hunters get 90% of the elk.
Glass a lot. I use 10x50 zeiss victory FL binos on an Outdoorsmans tripod. I don't need a spotting scope with this setup. If you're not seeing anything after a couple days sloooowwww sneak through the county in places you can glass. Midday stealth walk the main trails and find fresh sign then hunt there but watch the wind and don't move around too much. Keep everything as light as possible. Talk to the game warden for that unit... now not when he's impossible to reach in the fall. Get in the best shape you guys can. Almost all the hunters I've seen in camp are toast after day 3. Of all the elk I've shot or seen shot, almost every one was within 150 yards. Personally I've shot 2 or 3 around 300 yds, one about 500, and one at 1098 just because I could. Best of luck and have a great time with your dad! Let us know how you do! Pics please!

Hi All,
I am fortunate to have drawn a tag for 1st Rifle in CO this year, and it will be my first Elk hunt. I have hired an outfitter to provide a drop camp service. The hunting area he'll put me in will be a few square miles of drainage that's well away from roads - apparently it is unlikely to encounter other hunters back there. However, the outfitter will have 3 other clients hunting the same spot prior to me, one each in Archery, Muzzleloader, and Early Rifle (which ends just two days prior to my hunt).

Should I be concerned about post-rut bulls vacating the area due to the previous hunting pressure? Will they return to an area within a reasonable timeframe? Does "a few hunters" even count as hunting pressure?

There is an alternate location the outfitter may be able to place me that likely wouldn't have seen hunting pressure, but it's up on a ridge at higher elevation. My father is joining me, and due to his fitness level I think we'd be limited to hunting about one square mile of this ridge due to the rugged terrain.

I'm sure there are no certain answers to my questions, but I wanted to inquire - I know there are many experienced elk hunters here. As a novice, I'm trying and absorb as much knowledge and insight as possible. Thank you!
It's called hunting instead of KILLING for a reason! You have hired a guide/ company to provide at best a 1/3 service! No guides, no cooks, no food! Do you actually believe he/ they will locate you in a decent producing area where he will get 3 times your money?.....Not....search deep here...a little more research my friend for you and Dad

I see unit 1,2, and 61 have either sex early tags, and 76 has an early bull tag avail in the draw for rifle --I might have missed one of the other ones as I just skimmed
My wife knows an outfitter that has lots of property in that 1/2 area and that is a coveted tag to get --the early season/rifle/either sex tag

unit 1 early EE tag is 18 pref pts for res and 28 for non res and 7-8 for land owners
unit 2 early EE tag is 24 res, 28 NR, 6-8 LO
unit 66 early EE tag is 19R, 26NR, 1-2LO
unit 76 early bull is 18R, and 24 NR
@cohunt how does that work with the preference points for landowner tags if landowner tags are for private property?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.