Elk Habits if Pushed due to Light Hunting Pressure?

speedengineer

Hi All,
I am fortunate to have drawn a tag for 1st Rifle in CO this year, and it will be my first Elk hunt. I have hired an outfitter to provide a drop camp service. The hunting area he'll put me in will be a few square miles of drainage that's well away from roads - apparently it is unlikely to encounter other hunters back there. However, the outfitter will have 3 other clients hunting the same spot prior to me, one each in Archery, Muzzleloader, and Early Rifle (which ends just two days prior to my hunt).

Should I be concerned about post-rut bulls vacating the area due to the previous hunting pressure? Will they return to an area within a reasonable timeframe? Does "a few hunters" even count as hunting pressure?

There is an alternate location the outfitter may be able to place me that likely wouldn't have seen hunting pressure, but it's up on a ridge at higher elevation. My father is joining me, and due to his fitness level I think we'd be limited to hunting about one square mile of this ridge due to the rugged terrain.

I'm sure there are no certain answers to my questions, but I wanted to inquire - I know there are many experienced elk hunters here. As a novice, I'm trying and absorb as much knowledge and insight as possible. Thank you!

Light pressure surely will change the habit of the elk...undoubtly...
But they still need water...find the water sources...youll still have some stragglers.....
As a novice....dont wait till last day to take an animal...get one under your belt...and be happy...waiting for a monarch...tags tastes bad...even boiled......sauteed..not so bad....

That sounds like VERY light hunting pressure. I dont think that will drive the animals way off. With the first season the Elk may still be pretty high up if snow and cold haven't driven them down yet. That aspect could go either way.

For the two options you're considering, are there any places you could get to which are somewhat open? Where you could glass a large area? This might give you a chance to see where the elk are moving and formulate a plan.

depends on weather too-- colorado can have large weather/temp differences from year to year--- cold doesn't push elk much but heavy snow and hunting pressure will
pretty sure that elk have a "hunting calendar" they look at anyway, they seem to know the exact day that the season opens--- I glassed a really nice bull with a couple cow and 3 yearlings in a meadow the day before 1st season last year-- I headed back there hours before dawn for opening day and they were nowhere to be found all week long ;) I try to stay away from and off of vehicle trails, they dont much care about a moving vehicle but the second it stops and shuts off the engine they run. They arent stupid, thats for sure

What are the dates for your tag?
Elevation for both areas?
Temperature in both areas during that time?
Proximity of each to private land?
Brush or tree cover for each?
Did you talk to other folk who used this guide?

Good questions.
-Elevation is around 11k for the drainage, 11-12k for the alternate location on a ridge
-1st rifle is October 10-14th. High temps should be 55ish average, lows around 20ish average. It could snow some, but historical data suggest a lot of snow isn't very likely.
-No private land nearby
-The drainage location is half open meadow, half timber. The alternate location still has a lot of timber in the area we'd be, but it's getting near the treeline so it's a bit more sparse, with a few meadows.

Light pressure surely will change the habit of the elk...undoubtly...
But they still need water...find the water sources...youll still have some stragglers.....
As a novice....dont wait till last day to take an animal...get one under your belt...and be happy...waiting for a monarch...tags tastes bad...even boiled......sauteed..not so bad....

There's definitely more water sources in the drainage, but I think there is some on the ridge too.

I'm definitely in agreement with the attitude of don't pass up on the first day what you wouldn't be happy with on the last day!

That sounds like VERY light hunting pressure. I dont think that will drive the animals way off. With the first season the Elk may still be pretty high up if snow and cold haven't driven them down yet. That aspect could go either way.

For the two options you're considering, are there any places you could get to which are somewhat open? Where you could glass a large area? This might give you a chance to see where the elk are moving and formulate a plan.

There's lots of glassing opportunity in the drainage. If you get to the right spot, you can see nearly a mile in a couple directions. On the ridge there is one large meadow with sparse tree cover, could glass there maybe 500yd. My biggest concern with the Ridge location is there isn't a huge amount of territory to hunt. If I don't find elk there, I'll end up having to leave my father behind to tackle a 7 mile round trip up 1000ft and back down 1000ft at 12,000ft elevation, which doesn't sound easy, especially if I shoot one up there.

I didn't say exactly what you replied.....sometimes the best elk to get is the first one.....other times it is one in a better position for you to get out.....hauling elk..is way more work than hauling a deer.....just be happy to have the chance and the opportunity of memories with your dad........its not always about killing an animal......

The best attitude to have when elk hunting is to be flexible. You'll know the first afternoon and morning if there are elk in your area if you have good spotting locations. If you don't see them move. Maybe come back a couple of days later. Yes, if there is a herd in that drainage and 2 days before you show up someone shoots the herd bull they will very likely move to a different drainage. By the way where in CO is there a riffle season before 1st rifle season on public land?

The best attitude to have when elk hunting is to be flexible. You'll know the first afternoon and morning if there are elk in your area if you have good spotting locations. If you don't see them move. Maybe come back a couple of days later. Yes, if there is a herd in that drainage and 2 days before you show up someone shoots the herd bull they will very likely move to a different drainage. By the way where in CO is there a riffle season before 1st rifle season on public land?

I suspect you are spot-on on needing to be flexible. The nature of the drop camp style hunt though is that we'll only be able to hunt what we can reach on foot from the location we're put in. The advantage is we'll be miles from a road, the disadvantage is we can't move to a new spot once we're there.

There's only an early rifle season for a select few GMUs. My father is an avid elk bowhunter, and he had me saving preference points since I was a teenager... ;)

I suspect you are spot-on on needing to be flexible. The nature of the drop camp style hunt though is that we'll only be able to hunt what we can reach on foot from the location we're put in. The advantage is we'll be miles from a road, the disadvantage is we can't move to a new spot once we're there.

There's only an early rifle season for a select few GMUs. My father is an avid elk bowhunter, and he had me saving preference points since I was a teenager... ;)
Well that being the case, put in your time on the spotting scope, first and last light means everything. Mind the wind, try not to spread too much scent around that drainage just hiking. Listen at night the bulls will still be bugling.

I guess to really answer your question if the elk don't leave altogether they will get on little rock ledges, or stay in dark timber on north-facing slopes until dark. Several years ago while bow hunting back in a wilderness area a 5-hour horse ride from the trailhead, some muzz hunters came in. We had been patiently watching a huge herd of elk for days, we just could never get the wind to hold one direction long enough to get in close. We thought we had all the time in the world, but the opening morning of muzz those guys shot a bull out of that herd and it was over. A couple of days later we found part of the herd hanging out below a cliff on a ledge only about 10 yards wide and 30 yards long. After watching them stay there for two days we decided not to hunt them for fear of killing them all on the cliffs.

Well my first thoughts are ..12,000 ft will kick your but the first few days . Dont go crazy hiking everywhere. Pace yourself. Do as much research on your area map wise as you can . I really dont think the pressure of the other hunts will hurt to much . Better get in shape , have a Rifle that can shoot as far as your ability in a packable weight .
I'm excited for you already ! I have killed lots of Elk but everytime I read a post like this it gets me going !
Best of Luck to you in your Quest !

Rum Man

By the way where in CO is there a riffle season before 1st rifle season on public land?
I see unit 1,2, and 61 have either sex early tags, and 76 has an early bull tag avail in the draw for rifle --I might have missed one of the other ones as I just skimmed
My wife knows an outfitter that has lots of property in that 1/2 area and that is a coveted tag to get --the early season/rifle/either sex tag

unit 1 early EE tag is 18 pref pts for res and 28 for non res and 7-8 for land owners
unit 2 early EE tag is 24 res, 28 NR, 6-8 LO
unit 66 early EE tag is 19R, 26NR, 1-2LO
unit 76 early bull is 18R, and 24 NR

I guess to really answer your question if the elk don't leave altogether they will get on little rock ledges, or stay in dark timber on north-facing slopes until dark. Several years ago while bow hunting back in a wilderness area a 5-hour horse ride from the trailhead, some muzz hunters came in. We had been patiently watching a huge herd of elk for days, we just could never get the wind to hold one direction long enough to get in close. We thought we had all the time in the world, but the opening morning of muzz those guys shot a bull out of that herd and it was over. A couple of days later we found part of the herd hanging out below a cliff on a ledge only about 10 yards wide and 30 yards long. After watching them stay there for two days we decided not to hunt them for fear of killing them all on the cliffs.

Thanks for the example, I hadn't even considered that pressure might not necessarily move the elk out, but rather alter their behavior to become more cautious, stay hidden, and move more nocturnally.

Well my first thoughts are ..12,000 ft will kick your but the first few days . Dont go crazy hiking everywhere. Pace yourself. Do as much research on your area map wise as you can . I really dont think the pressure of the other hunts will hurt to much . Better get in shape , have a Rifle that can shoot as far as your ability in a packable weight .
I'm excited for you already ! I have killed lots of Elk but everytime I read a post like this it gets me going !
Best of Luck to you in your Quest !

Rum Man

Thanks! I am very excited as well. It will be quite the adventure with lots of memories regardless! 12k will be brutal, especially coming from an elevation of 900 feet. We'll be spending several days in the area prior to season to help get somewhat acclimated to the elevation. I'm bringing a rifle in 6.5 PRC and have been practicing up. It's difficult to find locations in Michigan to practice shooting long range. The farthest I've had the opportunity to shoot so far is 200 yards. Hopefully I can find someplace to practice at longer yards so I can determine my personal limit.

I see unit 1,2, and 61 have either sex early tags, and 76 has an early bull tag avail in the draw for rifle --I might have missed one of the other ones as I just skimmed
My wife knows an outfitter that has lots of property in that 1/2 area and that is a coveted tag to get --the early season/rifle/either sex tag

unit 1 early EE tag is 18 pref pts for res and 28 for non res and 7-8 for land owners
unit 2 early EE tag is 24 res, 28 NR, 6-8 LO
unit 66 early EE tag is 19R, 26NR, 1-2LO
unit 76 early bull is 18R, and 24 NR

^yep! And to the astute reader, I've definitely already provided enough details to know exactly which unit I'll be hunting ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.