Elk Guid Tip?

Southern 62

Finally bit the bullet after DIY hunts for Mule Deer, and booked a one on one Elk Hunt this fall. Is there a customary amount to tip my guid? I'm sure it may vary. What's y'all's thoughts.

Thanks Jimmy

I don't hunt yo kill
I kill in order to have hunted

10% seems to be pretty standard but there are varied feelings about this when you talk to hunters one-on-one. I tip 10% even when the service is sub-standard because I feel obligated to. I feel better about tipping the cook when the food is really good and I'm a light eater.

I've listened to guides brag about being given expensive optics, knives and other gifts in addition to their tips. That kind of talk is inappropriate, IMO, and sounds more like suggestive talk to me.

On occasion, I feel like I've received exceptional service, or I took an exceptional animal thanks to the guides efforts. On those occasions I tip more than the "norm". I might add that I'm not always successful, but I never let that influence my decision on how much to tip.

I have talked to hunters that don't think it's appropriate to tip at all. Typically, they say something like, "I got what I already paid for. Why should I be expected to pay more"?

As stated before 10% of the price of the hunt is customary. With that being said I factor in other things like was he on time in the morning, was he engaged in the hunt or just taking you for a walk? Most guide's like to hunt and truly enjoy their time guiding and go out of their way to make it enjoyable even if it's tough hunting from weather or lack of game sightings. I won't hesitate to give way less than 10% if he didn't give 100% and if he goes above and beyond he's getting over 10%. Good luck on your hunt jimmy.

Thank you all. I just didn't now where to start. Lot of great points. Even at 63 the time of the hunt I know how hard I'll hunt, and it will be hard. I'm sure the attitude of the hunter has a lot to do with the attitude of the guid. I don't expect a babysitter, but I hope it will be a team effort. Hopefully a connection well past the hunt. Ohhh I'm not a big parson, but man do I like to eat!!!!! Lol. Good point about the cook👍 I didn't even think about that person. Iv been out west enough to know it's ok to mix a empty tag with a Steak on the way home 😃. I'm already successful just being able to be in the mountains of Wyoming.

My hunt is with Rob of NTO, so some here may already know what I'll be in for.

Thanks Again. Jimmy

Jill and I hunted in Africa several times. When we were leaving we had a wad of RAND to give to the hired help. The owners that were also the guides said put it way. He already paid his help and we already paid him for the hunts.
BEST HUNTS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunted in NF and the owner and guides were terrible. Owner was a day late to meet us. Missed out on a 500+ bear because the owner didn't show up with the tags at camp until the next day. The "GUIDES" we hung over every day and had to push them to hunt for Moose. I missed out on a Small Bull because was setup in the wrong place, and my two friends got a Cow apiece.
Found out that the "Guides" were workers in the Forestry Industry cutting trees down for Japan. They were laid off for several years so we all gave the guides a few Hundred Bucks to help out even though they didn't know what they were doing and the Owner Screwed all of us. We had Industrial Coolers from the Airlines to store the meat. The Guides cut up the two Cows. Then to top it off when we got back to PA we found that all the Tenderloins & Back Straps were missing.
It was all the fault of the so called "Friend: that set up everything.
Just make sure you know your guide service.

Thank you all. I just didn't now where to start. Lot of great points. Even at 63 the time of the hunt I know how hard I'll hunt, and it will be hard. I'm sure the attitude of the hunter has a lot to do with the attitude of the guid. I don't expect a babysitter, but I hope it will be a team effort. Hopefully a connection well past the hunt. Ohhh I'm not a big parson, but man do I like to eat!!!!! Lol. Good point about the cook👍 I didn't even think about that person. Iv been out west enough to know it's ok to mix a empty tag with a Steak on the way home 😃. I'm already successful just being able to be in the mountains of Wyoming.

My hunt is with Rob of NTO, so some here may already know what I'll be in for.

Thanks Again. Jimmy
You may need to know that other folks who are in camp beside the guide should be considered when tipping. It is not uncommon to tip the cook, the wrangler (person who takes care of your horse), and camp jack ( the person who cuts wood and does all the other odd and ends around camp). So, tipping can get expensive, but these folks need to EAT too.

You may need to know that other folks who are in camp beside the guide should be considered when tipping. It is not uncommon to tip the cook, the wrangler (person who takes care of your horse), and camp jack ( the person who cuts wood and does all the other odd and ends around camp). So, tipping can get expensive, but these folks need to EAT too.
I see what you mean. That's why I asked. Thanks Rick

I have been over 20 guided hunts and have found that giving a tip to your guide is expected if the guide is hired help and not if the my guide was the owner of the guide outfitter. Most times I hunted my guide was the owner and he always turned down an tip; saying that I had already paid him for the hunt. But if my guide was hired help, it was expected to give him a tip. Also remember if there is a wrangler taking care of the horses that he and/or they will want a tip too.
With that said if the outfitter and guides are good and put out a good effort, they do deserve a tip, but I have been a few hunts where the outfitter and the hired guides did the bare minimum for me on the hunt. So the amount of the tip should be directly proportional to the efforts of the guides.

Last edited:

Recent Posts