Elk Guid Tip?

I have been on many guided hunting and fishing trips and I even guided for a few years when I was a younger man. 10% is fine but as stated remember all who have worked for you. We always make sure to take good care of the camp cook and if you are staying in a lodge the personnel who clean the lodge and make sure you have a clean room and clean sheets to sleep on. The most important part is to make sure you tip according to what you get. I saw one reply where a guy said he tips ten percent no mater what because he feels obligated. That is not the right way to do it. If you tip a guy 10% that didn't do his job then he will give the next guy that he guides the same crap service, why work harder if your going to get paid anyway. Consequently if a guide goes out of his way to make sure you have a great time whether successful or not, tip accordingly. Remember its a hunt not a kill. A good guide will definitely make or break a hunt no matter how much you pay for the service.

Adding to the great feedback so far - I've done quite a few outfitted hunting and fishing trips and usually plan on 15% of the trip total for tips. Fortunately, I've never had a bad experience - maybe I've been lucky. You mentioned the right attitude by the hunter and I think this is a very important point. I can imagine it would be pretty miserable for a guide to spend a week or more with a hunter with a sour disposition or one not really into the experience. Go enjoy your hunt - sounds like you are ready for a fun experience. Set aside what you are comfortable with to reward the efforts of the crew - guide, cook, etc. - who made your hunt memorable. They will appreciate both your attitude and recognition of of the hard work they have done.

10 % to the Guide, although sometimes all he did was drop you off at a Blind and say "see you tonight." None the less, It is customary. So I do it . Also, something for the cook. The last outfit I hunted , they has a charge for disposing the carcass after it was all dressed, so I put all that in my head and its just part of the cost of the hunt. At a big outfitters in Kentucky, 2 seasons ago , we all learned the night before the hunt that if you shot any buck that did not score 150 or better, there would be a $1500 dollar fine payable to the land owner. I can tell you , there were 20 angry hunters and many guys showed it by not tipping the guides. Hell, he didn't make up the rule. Why punish him. I began Cookie Jar saving from over 15 years ago. I said 'When I retire, I'm going on an outfitter hunt and my usual West Virginia deer hunt every year" . I'm 2 for 2 !! At 73 I'm not going to let $200 or $300 bucks prevent a fun hunt from happening. My 2 cents boys .

OK - here's a related question for everyone.

I hunt whitetails in the Carolinas every year. I have used many different outfitters over the years. Typically, you don't have a "guide" who provides any guiding services. You get a driver who drives you to your stand and picks you up twice a day. Given that he doesn't do anything that a biggame guide typically does; should you still give him 10% of the total cost of your outfitted event?