Elk Caliber?

drtony

Is the 6.5 CM "enough" caliber for elk hunting out to 400-500 yards? Or would I be better served with a 300 WM or 7mm Mag? The large caliber would have a single use: hunting in the west which may not happen too often. The 6.5CM will have the ability to be used closer to where I live and can hunt on a more regular basis. But, I for sure have an elk tag and need a gun that can get that job done first and foremost!

It would just be nice if the 6.5CM can do both :)

Also, I am aware that shot placement is everything. But I want to have leeway in case of less than perfect situations.

I have exclusively used my 7mm rem mag on elk. It is a great elk killing round. I have not had an elk go more than 20 yards without dropping. I currently have my 7mm shipped off getting work done and if I don't get it back by October I will be taking my 6.5 creedmoor. I'm not to excited to use it on elk to be honest but I have faith it will get the job done. I know I will definitely be more precise with my shot placement using it. If you keep it under 500 I don't think you should have any issues.

As far as back home, what other animals will you be hunting? If you are getting strictly a deer and elk gun I would go with 7mm.

ATH is on point. As is everyone else for the most part.

I don't use anything less than a .30 on elk and the bullets are all 200gr+. Personally, I'm not a 6.5 Kool-aid drinker. It's neat, but lets not pretend it's something it's not.

My bull from last year took a 338LM 250 grainer to the chest at ~50yds~ and made it away. He lived for another hour until I could catch up. I can't explain it and it was one of the worst hunting experiences I've had in terms of how poorly I felt I had performed my job until I saw the shot he took. It was illustrative of the will power and toughness these animals have.

I've seen several elk take BIG hits, and walk off. Not nearly as many as those that end DRT, but I've seen it happen multiple times over the past decade. It's nothing I can explain and part of the reason I hedge with big guns- especially when I'm hunting dark timber. I wouldn't trust a smaller round to fast, closer quarters hunting situations.

If you're going to use a 6.5 put a Partition in it. You really will want to hit the animal with authority.

I have shot elk with 6.5's, 7mm's and 338's there is no doubt the 338 hit them the hardest out of all 3. That being said my go to is a 6.5x300wsm. If I was building a gun another gun for both deer and elk it would be at least a 30 cal.or bigger, you can always load down if it's just a deer situation if you want but it's pretty hard to load up if your maxed out with a smaller caliber.

Everybody knows that elk cartridges start with a 3 and use at least 70g of powder.

In all seriousness, I do believe there is no replacement for displacement. I also am much less afraid of small cartridges than I once was. Regardless of what cartridge you are using I think bullet choice is more important than anything else. An elk bullet must be capable of getting through the shoulder of an elk. They are not always broadside. An elk bullet must be able to handle the heavy muscle and bone whether or not the vel is high or low.

Your creed is capable of handling elk out to your started yardage. A bullet like our 130g Sledge Hammer and you will be fine.

Steve

Most of my Elk have been taken with one of my 3 300 Rums ...but this year I'm taking out the 338 Rum for a spin !

If you have the 6.5 creedmore and can shoot good with it ..then take it !

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.