Elk bullet comparison

I have never shot an animal with a 215 Berger, but I shot all of my animals this last season with a 210 ABLR out of my .300 WM. Closest was a bedded six point bull at 25 yards in the back of the neck/base of the head. Exited right below the chin. Shot a cow elk at 100 yards right through both shoulders. She stumbled forward and face planted. Golf ball size exit. Shot a mule deer buck at 618 yards behind shoulder and also a golf ball size exit. He dropped in his tracks. Two does at 80ish yards. One through the front shoulder and other behind shoulder. Both dropped in tracks and had golf ball size exits. Only bullet I recovered was in the dirt in the hillside behind the cow elk. Nice little mushroom that still weighed 170 something grains.
So in my experience they are an excellent hunting bullet. I would not worry about terminal performance. They were a bit more work to get a well tuned load. I ended with 78 grains H1000 and bullet seated .050 off lands and it would give me 2940 FPS with consistent .4-.5 inch groups. However, that was after a handful of attempts that were giving me 1-2 inch groups
Thanks!!

215 here too in most rifles I load up. We have killed elk from 40 to 882 with them. All were either dead where they stood or went under 40 yards.
Although I use the 230 in my personal .300RUM now.

I have never shot an animal with a 215 Berger, but I shot all of my animals this last season with a 210 ABLR out of my .300 WM. Closest was a bedded six point bull at 25 yards in the back of the neck/base of the head. Exited right below the chin. Shot a cow elk at 100 yards right through both shoulders. She stumbled forward and face planted. Golf ball size exit. Shot a mule deer buck at 618 yards behind shoulder and also a golf ball size exit. He dropped in his tracks. Two does at 80ish yards. One through the front shoulder and other behind shoulder. Both dropped in tracks and had golf ball size exits. Only bullet I recovered was in the dirt in the hillside behind the cow elk. Nice little mushroom that still weighed 170 something grains.
So in my experience they are an excellent hunting bullet. I would not worry about terminal performance. They were a bit more work to get a well tuned load. I ended with 78 grains H1000 and bullet seated .050 off lands and it would give me 2940 FPS with consistent .4-.5 inch groups. However, that was after a handful of attempts that were giving me 1-2 inch groups
Awesome to hear the 210 ABLR holds together so well!
A bunch of guys were saying they're super explosive, which I doubted given what I've seen from the 265 ABLR.
I plan on running the 212 LRX but if it won't shoot I'll give the ABLR a go.
Thanks for sharing

From my last hunt where I shoot 2 mountain red deer.
300 win mag and 200 gr Eld x at 3165fps at muzzle.
1. It was 370-380 meters ,weight is about 270-280kg,shoot is similiar as on picture but little to the right and up.
Bullet is found under the hide.
Broken few ribs and some leg bone on the inside and lungs ans one rib on the "exit" side.He went down under 100y. I put picture of bullet latter.

2.150-160 yard,270-280 kg,deer is looking in my direction and roar and I shoot in the chest.
Bullet broke few ribs and one leg ,go through the organs end exit on the butt.
Deer hit the ground and few second shake a legs and that is end.

I would think for bullet performance it would be opposite on pennatration.

Attachments

• The-Best-Shot-Placement-To-Hit-Deer-Vitals-Every-Time-Never-Miss-Again.png
    The-Best-Shot-Placement-To-Hit-Deer-Vitals-Every-Time-Never-Miss-Again.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 117
Why should an end user have to open up a bullet that is due to poor manufacturing? Maybe they need a tip on them so they will open more consistently. I like the ELD-X 200 grainers.
Bergers will expand reliably if the tips are opened and uniformed properly. One could always use ELD's of either flavor and never look back as well. I prefer the M to the X

I'm curious what your load is to be able to push that 200 gr ELD-X so fast? With 79 gr of H1000 I'm only getting 2970 fps with a 26" barrel. How long of a barrel?
From my last hunt where I shoot 2 mountain red deer.
300 win mag and 200 gr Eld x at 3165fps at muzzle. .

I'm curious what your load is to be able to push that 200 gr ELD-X so fast? With 79 gr of H1000 I'm only getting 2970 fps with a 26" barrel. How long of a barrel?
How close to the lands are you seating them? Go closer to the lands and velocity should go up. 10 thousandths off I get more velocity than if 70 thousands off with same powder charge

How close to the lands are you seating them? Go closer to the lands and velocity should go up. 10 thousandths off I get more velocity than if 70 thousands off with same powder charge

There is more way to skin a cat.

In my cases it show that more jump lead me to more speed and precision.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.